Cleaning computer's inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettTRay

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
'Bama
Quick question. I've got a Dell computer that I've had for about two or so years that has alot of dust bunnies built up on the back of it. I can only imagine what is on the inside. Do any of you all clean the insides of ya'lls computers annually or every so often. You would think that cleaning the insides would make it run cooler. Does it matter or not if i clean it?

Thanks for the info Dfergie. I've never cleaned the inside but I have cleaned the outside where the perforated holes are for the fan to get air. I couldnt believe how much sh*t it accumulated. I'll be cleaning mine tonight I guess.

Get u a can of compressed air, just keep the area well ventilated.

Same here seems like the cover never goes on one, 'cause I'm always changing something

I have 7 fans going and i need all the dust out w/ how much I'm O/C (overclocking) my system, about every week to two weeks i open the side and take out as much as possible. I use my vacuum and a air to clean it out. I also have a window and lights so it has to look good. Dust doesn't look good.

Thanks guys for the info. ke4est, I'll make sure that its well ventilated before I use the computer duster. I would hate to catch a buzz off that stuff. If I get on here and start talking all crazy then ya'll will know that I used the computer duster with the fans off and the window closed!!!!!

You might want to just take it outside before you spray it with the air can. You won't believe the cloud of dust that will fly out the first time you spray it!!! :up

Is it really necessary to take he cover off to use one of the compressed air cans or can you spray thru the holes and help it at all?

gale1220 said:
Is it really necessary to take he cover off to use one of the compressed air cans or can you spray thru the holes and help it at all?

Are you being serious:p

If so yes take the cover off will do you know good to leave it on;)

Actually blowing it with air doesn't too much, it just blows it around. When it settles it's covered in dust again. You only remove about 40-50% of the dust with air. If you vacuum WHILE blowing the air you'll remove a lot higher percentage.

They sell small personal vacuums, those are recommended.

Got a great idea. Just heard this one today.

Put your computer in your dish washer.:D

Did a direcway install for a lady today that said she did just that. But luckily she only put the keyboard in first.

I have a compressor, and every year or so take mine outside and blow the dust out. do it when the humidity is low, to minimize compressor spraying moisture.

this is highly effective and over the last 20 years or so have used it to clean all sorts of machines for my business.

DONT BLOW INTO FANS ECCESSIVELY, you can over speed fans and destroy them.

Shouldn't you hold the fan with your finger so it doesn't move at all? I love the WHHHIIRRRRRR sound as much as anyone but I hold it...

I use a shop vac and clean mine regularly. Dusty heatsinks = more heat and more stress on the components.
Shop vacs are great - one side sucks and the other side blows. :D
- Flappy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts