Cloning a Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Vacosta

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
KCMO
I have two FTA Samsung irds. One is older than the other so it does not have Diseqc control. Is it possible to clone the older Samsung to carry the software from the newer ird for Diseqc control?

I have been tempted to buy one of those CDs from eBay for FTA info and software updates but I don't know if that would help me or are even worth the investment. I do have the data cables. Regular modem for cloning if I'm not mistaken.

Prob not possible, hardware would be different I'd guess. Cheaper to buy a new rec =simple ones are pretty cheap now. I'd be wary of anything 'software upgrade' related off ebay, most likely hacker software for stealing scrambled tv signals
charles

You cannot clone software to different models unless you know software is compatible. And most of those just clone the channels stored in the unit

And 99.999999% of those “CD’s” on Ebay are illegal stuff.

Not to beat a dead horse but would it hurt to try? Can I screw things up on the receiving ird?

Not to beat a dead horse but would it hurt to try?
diseqc command capability required special (not complicated) hardware on the receiver.
If yours doesn't have the hardware, it's not going to send the signals.
If it had the hardware, then the feature would have been offered originally.

Vacosta said:
Can I screw things up on the receiving ird?
Yes, absolutely.
See above.
You can possibly render the cloned receiver totally broken and unrecoverable.
Less severe is that you'll just render it -dead-.

Would you rip the engine out of your car and put it in a truck and expect it to work?
Most certainly wouldn't have the right hook-ups...
If I need to make this more graphic, we'll switch to the beating-heart analogy .... :eek:

I believe a couple of the Satworks (?) receivers could be upgraded by simple firmware to a different model, but I'm not sure of that.

Best NOT to try unless its been proven successful by others, wouldn't want to ruin your receiver.

I believe a couple of the Satworks (?) receivers could be upgraded by simple firmware to a different model, but I'm not sure of that.

Best NOT to try unless its been proven successful by others, wouldn't want to ruin your receiver.

correct. The Satworks 3618 & 3688 can use each others software. The 3688 had a motor option on it but had a scanning flaw.

I was able to swap software between the two.

I wouldn't mind trying to put a hemi in my wife's kia. I highly doubt I could ever sell her on the idea, plus it'd be way to expensive, but if someone could make it work, that'd be one heckova car!

I wouldn't mind trying to put a hemi in my wife's kia. I highly doubt I could ever sell her on the idea, plus it'd be way to expensive, but if someone could make it work, that'd be one heckova car!
I put a 454 out of an early 70's Chevy pickup into a 1970 Pontiac Ventura. But it did require some cutting and some welding.. and LOTS more gas than the old 6cyl. Also put a 350 out of a Chevy pickup into a Vega Wagon - no cutting or welding required.

I put a 454 out of an early 70's Chevy pickup into a 1970 Pontiac Ventura. But it did require some cutting and some welding.. and LOTS more gas than the old 6cyl. Also put a 350 out of a Chevy pickup into a Vega Wagon - no cutting or welding required.
I bet after a little running around town you couldn't close the doors on the Vega!!!
I remember a LOT of V-8 Vega's for sale in the 70's that the doors wouldn't hardly close anymore due to the TORQUE of the engine TWISTED the FRAMLESS CAR OUT OF SHAPE..... LOL

BryanSR

speaking of the motor swap anology, I once saw a blown 396 in a mazda rx7, the owner said he did it cause he was told he couldn't do it :-D major engineering ensued...........

Back on thread, i dont recommend trying to do what the OP proposed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)