Close Enounters coming to BR!

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Spielberg's first title in high def goes blu!

I know this is tvpredictions, but its elsewhere too, just search for it

Spielberg Puts Close Encounters on Blu-ray

Spielberg Puts Close Encounters on Blu-ray
This marks the director's first movie on high-def disc.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (July 26, 2007) -- Director Steven Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind will be released on Blu-ray high-def disc on November 13.

That's according to an article by the Hollywood Reporter.

The 1977 film will be the first the director has released on high-def DVD. The Blu-ray Close Encounters will cost $50, according to the Hollywood Reporter. The movie will be released on standard DVD the same day.

MAJOR slap in the face to the HD DVD camp. Didn't they prematurely announce a few months ago that Spielberg was releasing in HD DVD, and then had to issue a retraction? Twice?

Not sure about the HDDVD claim.

An insider from Sony stated today that they have been working closely with the Spielberg team to make sure this is right. He did not post this inside info before it was released because Sony wants to keep a great relationship with Spielberg.

I wonder now if he'll stick with Blu only or go both. I hope he supports Blu only, maybe itll move this thing along.

Ive also read that the seamless branching thatll be used with the 3 movies on one BR50 disc cannot be done by HDDVD. This could be a rumor though as I am not sure.

Navy, heres what you were talking about:

Contents List - HD DVD Promotion Group

Heres is a good list:

HD-DVD (Universal)
(Early television episodes, films)
Duel
Sugarland Express
Jaws
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
Amazing Stories
Always
Jurassic Park films
Schindler's List
Munich

BluRay or combo (Sony, Paramount/DreamWorks, Warners)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Poltergeist
Indiana Jones films
Twilight Zone The Movie
The Color Purple
Empire of the Sun
Hook
Amistad
Saving Private Ryan
A.I. Artificial Intelligence
Minority Report
Catch Me If You Can
The Terminal
War of the World

Id really miss 2 off the Univ list, Id buy 6 off the BR list.

1st Spielberg film to be on BluRay!

Alright, the movie 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' is coming to BluRay!!

[I]Without question, the biggest of these, due to hit stores on 10/2, is the very first Steven Spielberg film to debut on ANY high-definition format... the Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition. The Blu-ray Disc version will be a 2-disc set (SRP $49.95). Disc One will include all three versions of the film on the same disc in full 1080p video via seamless branching: The 1977 theatrical version, the 1980 special edition and the director's cut (originally released on DVD in 2001). The new high-def transfer has been personally approved by Spielberg himself. Disc Two will include a new, never-before-seen interview with Spielberg, The Making of Close Encounters of the Third Kind retrospective documentary and (exclusive to the Blu-ray version) all-new storyboard-to-scene comparisons, the original 1977 Watch the Skies featurette and the original theatrical trailer. A 2-disc DVD version will also be available (SRP $39.95).[/I]

This is great news!! :D Credit to and source:

The Digital Bits - Celebrating Film in the Digital Age

Last edited:
Can't blame him. I'm surprised he didn't also say something about better DRM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts