Closed Captioning

Dodge Ram Nut

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
Mizzourah
Hi there..I used to have 522 and absolutely loved it and the nbr!! The downside? Closed Captioning sucked!! I tried every known trick in the book to fix it. No joy. Called Dish Network..said it was known problem...said it wold be fixed in the next update. next update comes...still no joy. Called dish again...said next update..so next one came..no joy. I called it quits and went back to my trusty 501.
I'm in the midst of finishing my basement...and I WILL HAVE HDTV in the basement for my cinematic experience. I'd like to either go with 522 or 622. (Just so the tech can run cable thru my joists before I drywall everything up).

Do any one of you know if the captioning works now...no mess up at all? I mean ...perfectly..not 1 little inch of dirt? Thanks!

We use closed captioning on the 522 all of the time with few problems. When the 522 first came out CC was sporadic at best but it has been working well for many months now. There are occasional drop outs - but usually only a line or two.

Re-asking the question

Hi there..Its been quite some time since any one helped me out. I'd like to ask again...the 522..closed captioning still working like a champ? Or is it still being all scrambled up and making you do a front panel reset? What about the VIP622? Hows that for closed captioning? What is the BEST way to do a hookup to make the caption work as good as possible? S video cables? audio video cables? Thanks in advance!

CC works good on my 522, I just tried it watching ELF on Channel 356 as well as one of the local channels here for a Live Newscast. I use it very little, but when I do use it it works alright for me

Dodge Ram Nut said:
Hi there..Its been quite some time since any one helped me out. I'd like to ask again...the 522..closed captioning still working like a champ? Or is it still being all scrambled up and making you do a front panel reset? What about the VIP622? Hows that for closed captioning? What is the BEST way to do a hookup to make the caption work as good as possible? S video cables? audio video cables? Thanks in advance!

Closed captions work fine on SD channels on the 622. Voom channels and HDNET channels are apparently not captioned so no CC on them (not a fault of the 622).
Other HD channels are hit and miss. ESPN HD captioning is fine, so I think most of
the problem with CC on the HD channels is simply a lack of them being captioned to begin with.

Cc

I have the 942. CC drops words often on HDTV, but if I replay it on the DVR, it shows other words dropped, so it is recording all the CC. It works fine on my SDTV connected to the 942. Go figure.:confused:

Dodge Ram Nut said:
I've had my service for over a year and a half. I use CC all the time on my 522. It used to sometimes not work and a reset was necessary but they must have fixed it because I no longer have any trouble. Now on my 322, it works all the time but there are a lot of scrambled words.

And that pixelization/freeze problem hasn't been seen in a long time from my 522 come to think of it.
JohnP

GravelChan said:
Closed captions work fine on SD channels on the 622. Voom channels and HDNET channels are apparently not captioned so no CC on them (not a fault of the 622).

HDNET IS captioned on many of its rebroadcast and original shows, HDNMV is not. I have a ViP622 and record a lot of HDNET. UNI is not captioned and as it is NBC owned that has shown many of these same shows on their original network HD presentatitons.

Still no good answer from Dish why the local network HD fare is not shown with CC.

... rab

With the vip622, the captioning has to be done through the receiver's menu - not through your TV's. As far as I know, the CC signal is *not* passed onto the TV directly, so that's why you have to use Dish's. This is a pain, IMHO, b/c it's quite a few buttons on the remote: menu, 8, 8, 1, ON, Done, View TV. This, as opposed to the good ol' days of the 5xx when it the CC could be displayed by the TV (and in my TV's case, by just muting the sound). Hope this helps.

kstile said:
With the vip622, the captioning has to be done through the receiver's menu - not through your TV's. As far as I know, the CC signal is *not* passed onto the TV directly, so that's why you have to use Dish's. This is a pain, IMHO, b/c it's quite a few buttons on the remote: menu, 8, 8, 1, ON, Done, View TV. This, as opposed to the good ol' days of the 5xx when it the CC could be displayed by the TV (and in my TV's case, by just muting the sound). Hope this helps.
Thanks for your good intentions, but the real issue is; why Dish does not retransmit captioning infomation, on the local HD feeds, that it has been provided. The local SD feeds are captioned and after corresponding with the local networks here in San Diego, I know that Dish is given the HD CC for re-transmission. By the way, the second set on the ViP622 shows the captioning via the television, to the best of my knowledge.

As far as the captioning configuration goes, I really like the options that the receivers give for customizing the display of the CC. I did find that customization that I was able to perform on the 811 does not show well on the ViP622.

... rab

Last edited:
RBergmann said:
Thanks for your good intentions, but the real issue is; why Dish does not retransmit captioning infomation, on the local HD feeds, that it has been provided. The local SD feeds are captioned and after corresponding with the local networks here in San Diego, I know that Dish is given the HD CC for re-transmission. By the way, the second set on the ViP622 shows the captioning via the television, to the best of my knowledge.

As far as the captioning configuration goes, I really like the options that the receivers give for customizing the display of the CC. I did find that customization that I was able to perform on the 811 does not show well on the ViP622.

... rab
Actually they use to pass on the CC for WCBS-DT. But the disappeared about the time they started playing around with the encoding. Appears to be now missing on all the HD Locals carried.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts