Clueless gal needs help

Building429

Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
PacificNW
Hello everyone,
about 4 years ago we had DishNetwork. We bought 2 of the 4 receivers we had at that time. Because we also had the big "travel" dish for our RV and needed it to go with us on trips, etc. We ended Dish Contract about 2 years ago. Resigned this year. I tell you all of this to help me hook up the RV dish. We have a small package and only one receiver on our Home.
My questions:
1.) Can I on the RV Dish ( a 500 I think) can I install it and use an old receiver that we bought in addition to the receiver that is from the house.or will I have to "add" it to our account to be charged for the extra receiver? If I can't add the receiver to the remote (RV) dish it makes the RV with only 1 TV! That's un-American! Camping with only 1 tv feed. Could we manage? ha ha. That shall make me cry. I don't want to miss a race, ya know ;) Just because I am afraid I was as clear as mud.... I would take my 1 receiver from the house with us on the trip (hook it up to the RV/mobile satellite dish we bought) for the 1 tv in the RV and can I add my other old reciver for the back tv in the RV? I would like to be able to let the kids watch cartoons and us the news or NASCAR without interruptions
2.) If I can't use the receiver, can I "sell" or in actuality give it to my inlaws to use as an extra reciver without them receiving an additional fee per month? I figure someone should be able to use it. I was suckered into buying the thing. Silly blonde thing I know. Who knew that anything outside of the DishNetwork package deal and standard configurations would be such and arduous task.

Thanks for any and all of your help. I am in awe of the amount of knowledge on these boards. I am looking forward to gleaning from you guys (and gals). Thank you in advance for any help.

Call your local Retailer and they will be glad to answer your questions. Dish will authorize a receiver on an active account to use in a RV, but there are rules. You might try 1-800-333-3474? if your local dealer isn't up on the "rules".

You will probably need a switch, such as a DP34, to watch different channels at each tv. You might have to pay for second receiver. A call to Dish will get you the answers you need.
Welcome to Satellite Guys.
Dan

To use the extra receiver, either in the RV or at the in-laws, it would have to be activated and paid for on either your or your in-laws account. If you want to use it in the RV you will need to run a second coax to the dish or install a switch.

A dual receiver makes a better option for the RV if you can buy or lease one. It would operate both TV's with only one cable from the dish and no switches.

If it is any help, I too, have an RV with Dish. I use a separate receiver that I purchased and I activated this receiver and use it exclusively in the RV. (One can not use a receiver without have it activated with a Dish subscription) When we use this Dish receiver, in the RV, we can only watch 1 TV program or should I say the same satellite program on both RV TV's. I have many times used the roof antenna to watch a different TV program on one TV and use the satellite to watch another. One could get a Dual Dish receiver and then be able to watch different programs on the RV TV's. But it sounds like your wishing to use your old Dish Receivers and not buy a different receiver. Hope this helps some.

Thanks a lot guys! I will give up on the dual tuner idea at the RV. I am now going to find out if I can use one of my old DVR units when we go and the kids can treat it like a VCR/library. If that will work. Unless DISH will want to make me pay for that feature as well. Keep in mind I am not looking for the ability to pause life tv. Just simply record and or playback from HD.

new dish club referral code?

VIP211K Hard Drive for DVR Feature...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)