CNBC in HD ?

drjdan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Dallas, TX
Has anyone heard when CNBC is going to HD?

I keep it on all day in my kitchen and office. I would buy a HDTV set for both tomorrow if CNBC started broadcasting in HD.

Now that is a new one. Seeing Jim Cramer in full HD might be a bit overboard. lol

Honestly probably about a decade from now. NBC rarely has enough HD content to fill the prime time hours as it is and NBC has the worst HD quality (imo) out of the big 4.

It might be coming, but as we have seen, NBC is clueless when it comes to delivering HDTV on a consistent basis.

drjdan said:
Has anyone heard when CNBC is going to HD?

I keep it on all day in my kitchen and office. I would buy a HDTV set for both tomorrow if CNBC started broadcasting in HD.

That would be a total waste of HD programming. Can't understand why anyone would be interested in watching a news channel in HD! :eek: :eek: :eek:

That would be interesting. Another HD channel to the lineup would slowly kill the competition.

First I would like to see the TV Guide Channel in HD, and the "Congratulations! You've Got a Dish 500" channel in HD. Also, maybe the knife show in HD. :D

NBC does a great job with Jan Leno in hd but none of the major networks do justice to hd on the primetime broadcasts imho.

dude2 said:
NBC does a great job with Jan Leno in hd but none of the major networks do justice to hd on the primetime broadcasts imho.
The Tonite Show is recorded live with HD cameras and equipment, similar to sports programming. PrimeTime broadcasts are usually filmed and converted to HD. This can give you a softer image, and obviously does.

Sports programming is almost always done by third parties that lease out their very expensive HD equipment for specified events. Sunday NFL games are done this way as are NCAA football and basketball, networks own very little equipment, unless it is in their own studios.

I don't understand why the NCAA allows any of their football games to be shown in SD. Since the networks contact with them to show the games, they should just should just refuse to contract unless they are willing to do HD. I would think the compitition to show NCAA games would have another network willing to take the deal with HD.

There are too many games each Saturday and not enough HD production trucks to cover them all. Then they have to be ready to cover th NFL on Sunday - guess who gets first dibbs on HD.

drjdan said:
I don't understand why the NCAA allows any of their football games to be shown in SD. Since the networks contact with them to show the games, they should just should just refuse to contract unless they are willing to do HD. I would think the compitition to show NCAA games would have another network willing to take the deal with HD.

Real simple. The networks pay the NCAA hundreds of millions of dollars.

They aren't willing to drop the rights fee down a few hundred million if a network won't broadcast in HD to find someone who will.

If it comes down to force them to broacast in HD vs take less money, the NCAA will take the money every time.

They know that the true fan will watch the program in SD if they really care about the team anyway.

And by the way, the NCAA has no TV contracts. TV contracts are made with conferences and individual schools. That is why, for instance, ABC always has Pac-10 games, and CBS has SEC games. It has nothing to do with the NCAA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts