CNET drops BluRay rating to 5.8/10 and revises review

vurbano said:
1. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! You get the exact same picture when inverse telecine is appiled correctly. This is one reason why the BD movies are fkd up? get it yet?

I'm talking about the image coming out of the player, not what is finally done on the TV. The process with BD may have to do with how everybody is trying to support 1080p. One review I read said that the BD-P1000 couldn't sync with his 1080p/(50,59.94,60) TV at all.

Question though. You said your TV reconstructs the image from 1080i/60 to 1080p/24. It doesn't put it at 1080p/60?

I can see how the picture would be near perfect going from 24p->60i->24p. But if its going to 60p finally, their may be artifacts produced in the interlacing to deinterlacing conversion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

1080i film-based content can become true 1080p

The following examples refer to content that is encoded in progressive-scan form during recording or transmission—what would be considered "native" progressive signals. However, where 24 fps film-based material is concerned, a 1080i encoded/transmitted stream can become a true "1080p" signal during playback by deinterlacing to re-combine the split field pairs into their original progressive film-scanned frames. Regarding 24 fps film-source material presented in conventional 1080i60 form, the deinterlacing process that achieves this goal is usually referred to as "3-2 pulldown reversal". The importance of this is that, where film-based content is concerned, all 1080-interlaced signals are potentially 1080p signals given the proper deinterlacing. As long as no additional image-degradation steps were applied during signal mastering (such as excessive vertical-pass filtering), the image from a properly deinterlaced film-source 1080i signal and a native-encoded 1080p signal will look exactly the same. As more and more processors and displays come to market able to apply 3-2 pulldown reversal to film-based 1080i60 signals, the amount of available "1080p" content for viewing expands (encompassing film-based 1080i60 feeds from broadcast HD, cable, and satellite).
[edit]
http://www.satelliteguys.us/
Broadcasts

Even though various television networks in the world broadcast HDTV programming in 1080i and 720p, no 1080p broadcasting actually exists at this time. Material that has been digitized from a 35-mm film source is basically 1080p24 though, fit into 1080i50 or 1080i60 (progressive with segmented frames) and with proper 3-2 reversal deinterlacing, can be converted back into a true 1080p signal (see above explanation).

Im not really sure why anyone would want 1080p at 60 fps. 35 mm Film is digitized at 1080p 24 fps. 24 is all you need for smooth motion., the rest would be money and space down the toilet.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)