Coax feed and mount

JWC

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 16, 2005
I haven't read every post here, but I am getting ready to order service either from WB or HN. I have "everything" ready inside of my attic and my internal gigabit LAN is centrally located in the center of the attic on a 6/12 hip roof. I have three Dish Network dishes located on an antenna mount and they feed my internal DN switches (DP44s). Anyway, there is no more room to mount another dish and it would be easier to use a tripoid mount at the top of the hip and feed the coax into the ridge vent.

Q1: Is the receiver/modem normally mounted outside with the antenna or is it normally inside. If inside, what type of coax do they use...RG-6 or LMR 400. Reason I ask is that I ran several extra runs of sat grade RG-6 from the side soffitt and that ingress point is no longer easily assessable because of the hip roof.

Q2: What precautions or expectations should I anticipate if I "prefer" to use a 60 inch heavy duty tripoid mount at the hip ridge (other than astecics). I've heard that they may be heavy and we have strong prevailing winds (20-30MPH) here at this location.

Thanks

PS The wife is willing to put up with one more ugly antenna (i am also a ham radio operator) because the dial up is...well you know! Unfortunately my best choice (wireless at ISM 900MHz band) is no longer available because the provider didn't understant what ISM sharred band met and polarization issues and multi-path met.

you will need 2 rg6 cables out to the dish (rated at least to 3ghz). Modem will be located inside.
The only thing I can tell you about the tripod, is you may want to contact the company you signed up with, and see if they have a problem mounting it to your tripod. Most likely they won't, but it would be good to check before the installer gets out there.

The OD of the pipe needs to be 2 3/8" for HN. I do not know of a tripod that will work for this but maybe you can fabricate one? Also consider the ability to get to the top, I had one where the customer while building, mounted a pole through his roof. I ended up using a lift truck to install his system.

o, and you need to have a ground available. I don't install hughes, but Wildblue requires it be grounded...

First post.... and sorry I do not mean to hijack the thread but Birddoggy, you mention needing a ground for WB. I got WB installed Jul 02 but yesterday I just noticed the install guys didn't ground the dish. Ground lug has no wire nor is there a coax ground block like I have seen with other installs. This obviously needs to be resolved BUT in the meantime everything is working. I am wondering is it needed for better operation, or is it there primarily to protect the equipment?

Thanks...and once again, sorry to interrupt.
- T.J

as far as the operation of the system goes, the ground isn't going to affect it... supposedly the ground should help protect the system from static buildup, ect.
If wildblue sends someone to check it, they will fail the install and send the guy back out to fix it

I figured as much. Thanks for the help. I will let WB know. Now back to the regularly scheduled program.. :) Everyone have a good work week (ugh) :p

Why not just use the mount that the thing comes with? It's a tripod type. I wouldn't mount it over the ridge of a roof, but it happens.

I have no idea what you are talking about in your PS. There are to be some misspellings...don't know if this is one or not: "band met and polarization issues and multi-path met."

Wild blue is supposed to be grounded from the dish to the Radio with a #10. From there, they are calling the shielding the ground out to the block, but that's not NEC spec UNLESS they use quad sheild, and I've never seen quad shield on a WB. HNS does the same thing, but they almost always used quad shield around here.

Anywho, here is a picture of the "standard" HNS mount. WB has one, too. Furthermore, WB uses a funky sized pipe, so if you just get some universal tripod, you might catch hell finding the proper size pipe to fit it. HNS is standard 2 3/8 mount. Same thing channel master dishes and old primestar (because they mostly used channel master stuff) used.

Attachments

• S5035647.JPG
    S5035647.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 174

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts