Roku and DishNet Data

VitaAmare

Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
California
My friend recently got Dish and DishNet with a 10GB data limit at her home. I do not live with her and she gave me her sign on and password so I could add more channels to my Roku. Within a week she was at her data limit with her internet, which could of been people in her home watching Netflix or whatever else they were doing on the internet.

When she called Dish to ask about it she was told that even though I am using my own internet connection and WiFi, what I watched on my Roku under her account went against her data usage. That made absolutely no sense to me what so ever. Has anyone else ever heard of that?

I've been a Dish retailer for 18 yrs......I've heard EVERYTHING.

They had NO idea what they were talking about. The data usage is calculated soley from traffic sent or received through the DishNet modem.

Some pointers we give customers on reducing their data usage....this if for your friend's benefit since they are the one with DishNet. Turn off auto-update on any connected devices, you'd be amazed at how much data can be used keeping apps up to date. Update only the apps you use regularly and even then, click on the "what's new" tab under the update and see if it is really worthy of using up the data on. Most of the time the update can be bypassed. If using a Roku, set the master bit rate to .6/sec. This can be done by pressing Home 5 times, Rewind 3 times, Fastforward 2 times, viola, you are now at the menu page where you can set the master stream rate. This will work for all the streaming apps you have on your Roku.

I've been a Dish retailer for 18 yrs......I've heard EVERYTHING.

They had NO idea what they were talking about. The data usage is calculated soley from traffic sent or received through the DishNet modem.

Some pointers we give customers on reducing their data usage....this if for your friend's benefit since they are the one with DishNet. Turn off auto-update on any connected devices, you'd be amazed at how much data can be used keeping apps up to date. Update only the apps you use regularly and even then, click on the "what's new" tab under the update and see if it is really worthy of using up the data on. Most of the time the update can be bypassed. If using a Roku, set the master bit rate to .6/sec. This can be done by pressing Home 5 times, Rewind 3 times, Fastforward 2 times, viola, you are now at the menu page where you can set the master stream rate. This will work for all the streaming apps you have on your Roku.

Thank you. I had a feeling that me using the Roku on my own internet and Wifi had nothing to do with her data usage on her internet. I had no idea why they even told her that, unless they were talking about the Sling. But my Roku has nothing to do with her Hopper. I just needed to show that the channel I was activating on my Roku was a channel being paid for by a Dish customer. Thank you again for clearing this up.

Liz