Coax to component adapter?

Sharpie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Is there such a thing that will let you take your cable line and hook it into something making it a component hookup. The reason I ask this is, I bought an 27 inch Insignia HDTV to put in the bedroom. I have Directv but also cable to receive my local channels. The tv has a tuner built in to receive HD content over the air with an antenna. The tv has only 1 RF (antenna input) and this is where I run my cable into when it comes out out my Directv receiver. That is, I run my local cable in the "in" input on my Directv receiver then from the "out" I run that cable into the RF input on the tv. This leave my no connection for my Zenith Silver Sensor antenna to hook into. Geesh, I probably am not making any sense here or started this thread in the wrong forum. Any help would be appreciated.

What you need as an A/B switch so you can select what you want on the TV.

However, your TV has other inputs besides the RF, right? Use the s-video, for example, for the DirecTV receiver.

Is there such a thing that will let you take your cable line and hook it into something making it a component hookup. The reason I ask this is, I bought an 27 inch Insignia HDTV to put in the bedroom. I have Directv but also cable to receive my local channels. The tv has a tuner built in to receive HD content over the air with an antenna. The tv has only 1 RF (antenna input) and this is where I run my cable into when it comes out out my Directv receiver. That is, I run my local cable in the "in" input on my Directv receiver then from the "out" I run that cable into the RF input on the tv. This leave my no connection for my Zenith Silver Sensor antenna to hook into. Geesh, I probably am not making any sense here or started this thread in the wrong forum. Any help would be appreciated.

Sheesh... Hooking up the receiver to the TV via coax. Yuck... I wouldn't even do that on a 27inch SDTV. If the TV doesn't have any other inputs I'd take it back to the store.

They do sell F to RCA adapters they screw on the coax cable and give you a male RCA jack to work with. Problem with that is you only get 1. You need 3 1 video and 2 audio for it to work properly... Id recomend running your directv box useing rca then run the cable and antenna in with a A/B switch

let me try to be more clear. I am running the video feed that I receive from Directv through component inputs. That is, inputs "yellow" for video and "red", "white" for the audio. I am also getting basic cable so that coax cable is being screwed into the back of my reciever. I am unable to get any pic from my basic cable unless I also hook up a coax cable to the "out to tv" then into the coax hookup on the tv. The tv comes with many other inputs, hdmi, PbPrY, etc.... Now, because I have to hookup to the coax input on the tv I can not hook up my ota antenna because I need another coax which the tv does not have.

Follow up. After doing a scan for sh!ts and grins without an antenna, I was able to get my local digitals without an antenna! Can't believe it, but all come in clear and strong. So no need for an antenna means all is well

Most your local HD is likely coming in UHF (14-69). If strong enough, those UHF channels can be picked up by the TV with only the wires inside the unit. However, when you connect your CATV backup to the TV, the CATV channels will interfere with the UHF channels. The CATV does not use UHF Freq, but they do use CATV Freq that share the same spectrum.
Use this chart to see the relationship between CATV and Over the Air (OTA)channels
http://www.dbsinstall.com/Broadcast/vhf_uhf_freq_list.asp

To use your TV in both CATV and Air mode (off-air VHF/UHF) You will have to switch the TV tuner mode. Since you can receive UHF without an antenna, I suggest you use a A/B switch with short UHF Loop antenna connected to the A/B switch. This will increase your signal strength and reduce potential signal levels issues that may arise.

If you do not wish to switch TV modes, you can use a small VCR as a tuner for the CATV. The VCR would convert all CATV channels to 3 or 4 (your choice). By combining the VCR output with a small UHF antenna, you can leave your TV in Air mode. You would have to change CATV channels on the VCR (TV would be left on 3 or 4, but you could easily access OTA HDTV channels.

It really comes down to what you are going to watch more, OTA or CATV.

I think we underatanda bit better now. the probelm is that both the OTA HD and the cable need to go toa tuner. it sounds like youa re doing fine with just the cable itself asa an antenna. I am surprised but it is not impossible.

But, if he did that OTA HD scan without the CATV connected, then he will most likely lose the OTA when the CATV signals are present. Even with the tuner set to AIR mode and not CATV mode, the CATV signals will be present and interfere with any UHF in the path.

Todd,

With the cable coax hooked up to the tv from the Directv receiver, when I change channels the digital OTA channels do not show up. Where I live, channel 17-1 is our NBC HD channel. My tv goes from channel 16 to 17 then skips 17-1 and goes to 18. I can punch in 17-1 and then it will come in fine. But the tv does skip it when channel surfing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts