Colorado Voomers

that would kinda suck wouldn't it? since we don't get fox sports net we couldn't watch the game at all could we?

yea they did! I think its kinda wrong that someone in ohio can watch the avs in HD but the homecroud can't :/ but oh well i guess

Anyone see the 'predictions' thread on the Dish forum? They are raising the possiblility of a merger between Voom and Echostar. In a lot of ways, that makes some sense. Since Echostar is a Colorado company, anyone have any opinions on this?

One opinion here!

A good way to ruin a good thing, being a longstanding recently disgruntled Echostar dealer if Charlie were to get his hands on this company he would stunt the progress of HD for everyone again. :mad:

Seems his dealings with programming providers just makes them angry(cheap A$$).

Let us all hope this does not happen.

Stefan

Now that I think about it, I remember the fiasco with Disney and then there was an almost-fiasco with TNT. Has anyone noticed all the Comcast trucks all over the place? Got a flyer in the mail today about their HD offerings, and a good deal if you turn your dish over to them. It didn't say how much they charge for their full package, but that would be easy enough to find out.

Makes no sense for me now, since I purchased the STB. I like Voom pretty well--just wish I could consistently get ABC. It still comes in, but with many break-ups. I'm thinking a lot of those problems will go away whenever we get the mongo antenna on Lookout Mountain.

The Stone Man said:
just wish I could consistently get ABC. It still comes in, but with many break-ups. I'm thinking a lot of those problems will go away whenever we get the mongo antenna on Lookout Mountain.

Consider yourself lucky, I have never even seen a blip on ABC. I do get CBS from cheyenne, Fox from Denver and Channel 2(if you call that a channel). Everything else is intermittent, this is with a huge antenna on my roof, and another attic antenna pointing north. The whole lookout mountian issue is a sore subject with anyone outside of the Metro area. I rarley watch anything over air HD instead I rely on my 811.

Got to get on that Voom program! :)

if i recall in that comcast promotion they give you 400 dollars in credits on your bills but you have to sign a 14th month contract

They give you $25 off your monthly bill for 16 months, so to get the full $400, you have to keep the service for 16 months. We've had satellite ever since we bought the house 8 years ago, and never had cable here. A lot of posts say that the quality of satellite transmissions is superior to cable, but I wouldn't know now.

In getting Voom, we switched from E*. To my uneducated eye, Voom quality overall seems much better.

one of my friends has comcast some channels are unwatchable like discovery wings and some of the lesser known channels. HD is nice tho, i couldn't complain

I got my OTA card today. I pick up all stations but 7.1 and 12.1 picture quality (HD and non-HD) is sensational! I'm going to miss sports on abc but thats all i ever watch on that channel. So now that my Voom is complete i love it even more!

Glad you got you OTA card. CBS has a good line up on Monday night to test your local OTA with. Channel 12 has no HD content as of now, just 12-1,12-2,12-3. Good luck trying for 7.

Getting VOOM installed in the Westminster area tomorrow (Sheridan/112th), will let you all know how it goes later in the week. Keeping DISH to evaluate VOOM against them, so might need a few days to "play" with the service and make an opinion (also assuming the installer shows up and it works ;))

Thanks for the good thread, will get back in here later...

Hey zot, welcome and hope your install goes good. I still have D* and I am waiting to see if they get their HD count up since they have a new sat in orbit. I will keep both for now to see what happens in the next few months. The HDtivo looks mighty good except the price tag.

I e-mailed channel 7 about trying to recieve reception since its the only station i can't recieve (and yet only 1.7 miles away) and see if there is a good way to get it. Here is the response if your interested:
Thank you for your interest in Denver's 7, KMGH - TV/DT. KMGH
broadcasts a low power digital signal on UHF channel 17 from the top of
our studio building at Speer Boulevard and Lincoln Street. Best results
will be obtained if your receive antenna has line of sight to the top of
our building.

KMGH was the first broadcaster in the Denver area to initiate High
Definition broadcasts in March of 1999. There was no expectation that
the process to build a high power digital facility on Lookout Mountain
would have been as protracted as it has.

We are hopeful that issues with Jefferson County and Lookout Mountain
can be resolved soon and that high power digital broadcast facilities
will be ready in the summer of 2005.

If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Rick Craddock
Director of Engineering
Denver's 7, KMGH - TV/DT

its not much but maybe by next summer it will be quite easy to recieve the signal from anywhere?

Good generic response from them. Maybe if they raised that coathanger antenna a few more feet and you cut some trees in your line of sight you might receive it. They are not even on comcast yet. It does not seam channel 7 is trying to hard to get there HD signal out. I boycott them anyway by not watching the SD picture.

I'm thinking of trying a 5 foot mast extension to see what happens. I get some reception for 7. Sometimes it is OK, other times it is bad. Have not been able to justify spending more $ on a Square Shooter just to get 1 channel. The extension is just a few $, and can't hurt anything.

For the first time, I lost satellite signal in last night's snow. No satellite channels at all for about 2 hours, so just watched OTA stations. Anybody here gone to a bigger dish?

The mast might help, have to try. You may want to try an amplifer and if it doesn't work just return it.
I had no problems yesterday with snow and rain signal dropped to the low 80's. I have read in other post that a 30" dish helps with the rain fade.

My signal dropped to 65 and pic quality is between 0-15 and hasn't moved since i got home last night. the crazy thing is my ota reception went into the 80's-90's and pic quality used to be in the teens it is also now in the upper 90's and i'm now able to recieve 12-1,12-2, and 12-3. I'm using the diplexor only cause i'm in an apartment if i ran two lines do u think my ota would stay this high?

OTA signal>Diplexer>Dish size>Rain-X

When you read the OTA signal strength, you MUST be on an OTA channel for the receiver to accuratly read the OTA signal. You were probably on a OTA channel when looking at the installation screen, when you saw the higher readings. When you are looking at the screen on a satellite channel, you will see the OTA signal in the teens. Just how MOTO designed it for now. :(

The diplexer has NOTHING to do with the actual picture quality of the satellite and should not have any real effect on the OTA signal. The insertion loss of a diplexer is no more than 3.5db and that is not going to cause any problems. Now that's not to say a defective diplexer or the wrong one can't cause problems.

Also, as far as the 30" dish working better than the 18" as for rain/snow fade. Yes, the larger dish will allow a higher gain and will not "fade" out as fast during the wet snow/heavy-rain season. Snow build-up on the dish has nothing to do with the dish size either, so you will want to have safe access to the dish to brush off any snow duing heavy storms.

Moisture content in the atmosphere is the cause for loss of signal. FYI: DO NOT SPRAY ANYTHING LIKE RAIN-X OR PAM ON THE DISH, this will NOT solve any problems, only cause more.

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts