Colorado Voomers

Hello all,
Are you guys still able to get channel 12? I have not had mine for a week. Getting a strong signal but no picture or sound. I am hoping the new software upgrade will bring it back.

x1hdtv said:
Hello all,
Are you guys still able to get channel 12? I have not had mine for a week. Getting a strong signal but no picture or sound. I am hoping the new software upgrade will bring it back.
Lost 12 last week too.. I don't spend too much time watching it so no biggie for me. Yes, I was told, the next software should fix it.
The auto-scanning will allow the tuner in the STB to do what it's supposed to, and lock on to the freq. instead of lock on to the assumed/mapped freq. Channel 12 may(?) have tweaked their signal and that caused the mapping to gack for some of us, not all, as we all MAY have somewhat slightly different freq. carriers assigned in our individual mapping based on each of our different zipcodes. Thank goodness VOOM and MOTO are correcting this mess soon.

Current Promotion Extended 1 Day!?!?!

I noticed on the Voom website today that the current promotion for free installation has been extended to July 6th - it used to be July 5th.

I thought that was odd - but maybe it's because most people will have July 5th off for the holiday????

I wonder what's up with channel 2? I get guide information and a strong signal indication, but no picture or sound. Earlier in the week they had a static display of color bars. All other locals are fine, including PBS. It's got to be something that channel 2 is doing locally.

Really not that big of a deal, since I rarely watch 2.

6/30 @ 6:00PM channel 2-1 and 2-2 are back.

Argggh! OTA help PLEASE!

Folks -

Well, after waiting weeks after my installation to get my OTA setup fixed, VOOM/Installs Inc. setup a service call for today (June 30).

The issues to be addressed were:

1) Horrible OTA reception (virtually none) - I would occasionally get channels 2, sometimes 4 and 9, and 31. Channels 6, 7, 12, and 20 were completely out.

According to my OTA channel map, I should be getting:

2-1, 2-2, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 6-1, 7-1, 8-15 (VOOM), 9-1, 10-1, 12-1, 12-2, 12-3, 22-1, 24-1, 31-1, and 53-1.

Checking the VOOM status pages :

Off-Air Signal Quality: ranges from 14-20
Off-Air Signal Power/ SNR: 0/0.00 (always)

*** Action plan: Install a new 8-bay antenna

2) They had left a large loop of cable dangling from my roof because their ladder was too short to get them high enough to tie it down. (this is a homeowners association issue, as well as a bad practice). Might be an interesting target for lightning as well.

*** Action plan: return with a ladder to tie the cable down

3) I have been having dropouts on just the DVI interface on one of my STB's. Could be a cable or the box itself - all other outputs work fine. Turn off the box for a while and it comes back eventually.

*** Action plan: return with a replacement STB and DVI cable.

4) I am also getting the 'stuck white pixels' that others have been seeing. I understand that this may be a software problem.

*** Action plan: wait for software upgrade

5) I seem to be having erratic OTA channel maps - they can differ from STB to STB (I have 4 boxes).

*** Action plan: wait for VOOM to get their OTA mapping act together.

Well - the guy showed up. He was a subcontracter working for 'Point 2 Point' communications. Immediate problems:

a) No long ladder - he hadn't gotten the word that I had specifically requested a 30-35 foor ladder per the original installer's recommendation (even though I KNOW it was written into the original trouble ticket - I quizzed the CSR)

b) No replacement VOOM STB or DVI cable. Again - he hadn't gotten the word.

After he assembled the 8-bay antenna and took it on the roof, we still didn't have any improvement in signal:

My antenna had been setup as follows:

Antenna -> Amplifier -> DC power injector for AMP -> 1x4 splitter box

After found that the new antenna had no better response, I asked the tech to check the power to the inline amp (he didn't know it had one). He didn't have a meter - I had to loan him mine. It appears that the wall-wart/inline power supply was cooked. The original installer either used a bad one, or shorted the center conductor to the casing at the RF connector (there was visible charring). I also pulled the power supply out and checked it myself: supposed to be 18vdc/70ma, but it wasn't putting anything out. Of course the guy didn't have another power adapter on the truck - asked if I might be able to find one at Radio Shack (I couldn't - BTW).

Another guy came out to help the first guy. He told the first guy that the 8-bay didn't need an inline amp, as it was so powerful already. Hmmm. If that's the case, why am I getting the OTA signal strength readings I'm getting?

One got up on the roof while the other stood in from of my TV, and they chatted by cell phone while trying to position the antenna. They told me they could get 2, 4 and 31 or 9 and 31, but I couldn't have both (what about 7?). I verified on antennaweb.org that these stations were all within a couple of degrees of each other, and presented this - the antenna cannot be THAT directional. The most likely cause is that we're getting nearly no OTA signal into the system, and a slight nudge could lose whatever fraction of a signal they might have (probably could hang a piece of RG-6 out the window and get a similar/better signal).

The service call got halted because we had a brief thunderstorm. They promised to return tomorrow, but based on my experiences today I don't have a lot of confidence that they will resolve the problems.

Does anybody have any helpful suggestions?

Oh - I also have issues with rain fade, but I hear that others are having a heck of a time getting acknowldgement that this is a problem, and are having difficulties getting the larger dish.

I have a call into DishConnect right now (holding - as is the norm), and plan to escalate this to VOOM as well.

Such a potentially wonderful service (VOOM) being ruined by shoddy support. I'm not sure I'm prepared to remain in the early-adopter pool. If they can't get these issues worked out shortly, I may need to have them yank all four boxes.

While I'm griping, I might as well add these:

1) The relative lack of content/amount of repetitiveness of programming is enough to make you question the value of VOOM as a whole. Without the VaVaVOOM add-on that incorporates some of the premium movie stations in HD (even though they don't always broadcast 16x9 HD content), I would probably not subscribe. You see the same stuff over and over.

2) The program guide needs some serious human-engineering rework. I'm not saying that DirtecTV or Dish have it nailed, but they're much closer:

a) Returning to the top menu everytime you hit the VOOM button? Why not into the program guide you were in last at the channel you were viewing?

b) The program planner is impossibly basic - what about scheduling multiple iterations of a show? New programs only?

c) The program description in the guide is usually truncated to something unusually small. Many times the RAVE concert info doesn't even tell you who the performer is. (Note: the VOOM guide data available via Zap2it have MUCH more detail).

d) Like other DBS services, there should be an option to get a full screen of guide data rather than waste half of the screen with a preview and a LOGO.

3) Yes - I know a PVR is in the works, but life is very difficult for those of us that have become accustomed to time-shifting/commercial skipping. I frequently work until 8 or 9 at night, and when I sit down to watch TV, I hate having to be slaved to just what's on now. I think the proper approach would to have gotten a fundamental PVR into the market first, and produce the whiz-bang network capable unit at a later time.

4) The service issues and chain of problem ownership issues have to be addressed - this is how good products fail. I know - I'm in the tech business myself.

Pete Lyall

VOOM, OTA, and shoddy service(Copied from original thread)

Folks -

Well, after waiting weeks after my installation to get my OTA setup fixed, VOOM/Installs Inc. setup a service call for today (June 30).

The issues to be addressed were:

1) Horrible OTA reception (virtually none) - I would occasionally get channels 2, sometimes 4 and 9, and 31. Channels 6, 7, 12, and 20 were completely out.

According to my OTA channel map, I should be getting:

2-1, 2-2, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 6-1, 7-1, 8-15 (VOOM), 9-1, 10-1, 12-1, 12-2, 12-3, 22-1, 24-1, 31-1, and 53-1.

Checking the VOOM status pages :

*** Action plan: Install a new 8-bay antenna

2) They had left a large loop of cable dangling from my roof because their ladder was too short to get them high enough to tie it down. (this is a homeowners association issue, as well as a bad practice).

*** Action plan: return with a ladder to tie the cable down

3) I have been having dropouts on just the DVI interface on one of my STB's. Could be a cable or the box itself - all other outputs work fine.

*** Action plan: return with a replacement STB and DVI cable.

4) I am also getting the 'stuck white pixels' that others have been seeing. I understand that this may be a software problem.

*** Action plan: wait for software upgrade

5) I seem to be having erratic OTA channel maps - they can differ from STB to STB (I have 4 boxes).

*** Action plan: wait for VOOM to get their OTA mapping act together.

Well - the guy showed up. He was a subcontracter working for 'Point 2 Point' communications. Immediate problems:

a) No long ladder - he hadn't gotten the word (even though I KNOW it was written into the original trouble ticket - I quizzed the CSR)

b) No replacement VOOM STB or DVI cable. Again - he hadn't gotten the word.

After he assembled the 8-bay antenna and took it on the roof, we still didn't have any improvement in signal:

My antenna had been setup as follows:

Antenna -> Amplifier -> DC power injector for AMP -> 1x4 splitter box

After found that the new antenna had no better response, I asked the tech to check the power to the inline amp (he didn't know it had one). He didn't have a meter - I had to loan him mine. It appears that the wall-wart/inline power supply was cooked. The original installer either used a bad one, or shorted the center conductor to the casing at the RF connector (there was visible charring). I also pulled the power supply out and checked it myself: supposed to be 18vdc/70ma, but it wasn't putting anything out. Of course the guy didn't have another power adapter on the truck - asked if I might be able to find one at Radio Shack (I couldn't - BTW).

Another guy came out to help the first guy. He told the first guy that the 8-bay didn't need an inline amp, as it was so powerful already. Hmmm. If that's the case, why am I getting the OTA signal strength readings I'm getting?

One got up on the roof while the other stood in from of my TV, and they chatted by cell phone while trying to position the antenna. They told me they could get 2, 4 and 31 or 9 and 31, but I couldn't have both (what about 7?). I verified on antennaweb.org that these stations were all within a couple of degrees of each other, and presented this - the antenna cannot be THAT directional. The most likely cause is that we're getting nearly no OTA signal into the system, and a slight nudge could lose whatever fraction of a signal they might have (probably could hang a piece of RG-6 out the window and get a similar/better signal).

The service call got halted because we had a brief thunderstorm. They promised to return tomorrow, but based on my experiences today I don't have a lot of confidence that they will resolve the problems.

Does anybody have any helpful suggestions?

Oh - I also have issues with rain fade, but I hear that others are having a heck of a time getting acknowldgement that this is a problem, and are having difficulties getting the larger dish.

I have a call into DishConnect right now (holding - as is the norm), and plan to escalate this to VOOM as well.

Such a potentially wonderful service (VOOM) being ruined by shoddy support. I'm not sure I'm prepared to remain in the early-adopter pool. If they can't get these issues worked out shortly, I may need to have them yank all four boxes.

While I'm griping, I might as well add these:

1) The relative lack of content/amount of repetitiveness of programming is enough to make you question the value of VOOM as a whole. Without the VaVaVOOM add-on that incorporates some of the premium movie stations in HD (even though they don't always broadcast 16x9 HD content), I would probably not subscribe. You see the same stuff over and over.

2) The program guide needs some serious human-engineering rework. I'm not saying that DirtecTV or Dish have it nailed, but they're much closer:

a) Returning to the top menu everytime you hit the VOOM button? Why not into the program guide you were in last at the channel you were viewing?

b) The program planner is impossibly basic - what about scheduling multiple iterations of a show? New programs only?

c) The program description in the guide is usually truncated to something unusually small. Many times the RAVE concert info doesn't even tell you who the performer is. (Note: the VOOM guide data available via Zap2it have MUCH more detail).

d) Like other DBS services, there should be an option to get a full screen of guide data rather than waste half of the screen with a preview and a LOGO.

3) Yes - I know a PVR is in the works, but life is very difficult for those of us that have become accustomed to time-shifting/commercial skipping. I frequently work until 8 or 9 at night, and when I sit down to watch TV, I hate having to be slaved to just what's on now. I think the proper approach would to have gotten a fundamental PVR into the market first, and produce the whiz-bang network capable unit at a later time.

4) The service issues and chain of problem ownership issues have to be addressed - this is how good products fail. I know - I'm in the tech business myself.

Pete Lyall

Just thought I say I had a similiar problem with getting my local channels also. My locals were at 3 different tower locations. They said there was nothing they could do, Voom only supplied them with directional antenna's. I went down to Radio Shack and bought an OMNI directional antenna for 74 bucks installed it my self now I get all my locals. By the way they did not pay me back for the 74 bucks

Denver is a massively huge DMA and covers parts of 4 states there is no way you will receive all 13 of those stations as some of them are in other states!

The reason you can't get ch.7 KMGH is that it is on a Special Temporary Authority at 1.91Kw, the signal would be lucky to go a few miles. Ch.2 KWGN is at 450Kw, ch.4 KCNC is at 11Kw and is directional. I don't have current power data on ch.31, but it's antenna pattern is also very directional. Ch.9 KUSA is operating with 10.9Kw and is also very directional.

It is entirely possible for a directional antenna to be "that" directional, but it is only very, very, very directional at longer reception distances.

You might want to take a look at this thread "AntennaWeb may not be accurate"

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=20749

Take into consideration that the antenna is directional, the power of all the stations is low, and the stations themselves are transmitting directional patterns it is and you have a situation where moving the antenna a few inches one way or the other will loose the station.

You are not alone many are in the same boat. Denver has been a particular problem with the stations going digital as there has been much protest from "tree hugger" groups against adding more RF sources to LookOut Mountain. In this case the stations aren't entirely at fault for the low power operation.

I am surprised you are so calm, (I'm about ready to hit my STB with an ax and send it back). You have stations that want to go full power, but can't and you have what sounds like a really bad installer.

Pete,
Obviously to me, you are a sophisticated and experienced satellite customer, with a good understanding of the competition. In short--a customer that Voom needs to keep. A lot of people with some bad problems have gotten good attention when they e-mailed Wilt Hildenbrand at wilth@optonline.net. He's Voom's VP of Engineering, and can get things done in a hurry. You might want to try that. He answers all his e-mail personally, and I'm pretty sure he would be interested in your situation.

My own setup is quite simple compared to yours, but our OTA maps are similar. I have channels mapped in the guide that I've never been able to receive, but I now get 2-1, 2-2, 4, 7, 9, 12 (3 of them), and 31. That's all of the majors, plus WB and Fox with a dedicated line from Winegard PR8800 to STB without an amp or a diplexer. The PR8800 was a free upgrade from the StealthTenna because I was not receiving channel 7.

My installation was done by an independent subcontractor, and he was very good. I don't know if you can request a specific guy when the service call is arranged through Voom, but I kept the man's card. David Dominguez is the name, and he is incorporated as DAVADO; Professional Satellite Installation & Service. Phone (720) 341-4663. He did my installation in December, so he's been doing Voom for at least 6 months. He also does DirecTV and Dish.

If your other pair of installers can't get this fixed, I think you should get the story in front of Mr. Hildenbrand. Voom is going to want you as a satisfied customer, and Wilt has the power and resources to get you the help you need. I hope they can get your problems squared away.

As for PVR and program guide quirks--can't help much there. I use a Pioneer DVD recorder, and I'm satisfied to have that. I also don't record very much stuff, and have always been a 'watch whatever is on' kind of guy.

I'm in tech too (banking), and manage a group of 25. Try doing a cut and paste of your previous post and send it to Wilt. If that doesn't work, Voom will probably have to get removed from the Lyall household. But I hope they can get you humming.

I'm in Centennial, about 12 miles directly south of downtown Denver. I have the same OTA map as plyall, but I'm getting all the locals, even channel 7. Voom upgraded my antenna because channel 7 reception was poor and I went from the Stealth to a Wiinegard PR8800. OTA channels beiing received are:
2.1 and 2.2
12 (PBS, and there are 3 of them)

After installation in December, I had all of the above, but 7 was in and out. Called Voom and they logged a service call and sent a guy out with the new antenna. He put it on the same mast as where the Stealth had been, and we got all the channels except 7. He adjusted the antenna a little, and we got 7--but none of the others. Adjusted again, and we got all of them. I asked him to tighten the antenna, and have had no problems with OTA since then.

yikes! page 3! hope you all had a good holiday. Its been pretty rainy here as you all know but have you all had problems with losing your sat signal all together? i have lots and i think i need to make a call to installs inc but we'll see. Also reading all your stories your installers seem better than the ones that came to my house :p

FINALLY--a guy who knows how to spell. Lots of people are "loosing" their signal.

Rain drops me by about 15 points, but I still stay above 80. I thought about calling after 1 particularly bad storm, where I went down to 75, but I'm kinda waiting until I know more about that upgrade to the eliptical dish when the second satellite becomes active.

FINALLY--a guy who knows how to spell. Lots of people are "loosing" their signal
heh heh well i caught that after I checked it =) but it started as loosing.

yea, that was kinda my idea also see what those new dishes are like and what they can do. I do know that the arm to the lnb was bent when i recieved the dish and maybe it still might be, but do you when the new dish rollout is to begin?

Interesting question. Everything I've read says that the second satellite is supposed to be activated in October. We still don't know how it is going to be used. There will be two locations. The current 61.5, and this new one at 72 (I think). They might do something like sending the basic package over 61.5, and premiums over 72. Until we know how Voom intends to use the second satellite, we really don't know if we will need a second dish, or the larger elliptical one.

That said, I've also seen information that says they will upgrade existing customers to the elliptical by October. If that's the case, they are going to have to start pretty soon. And we are still not sure if this upgrade will have to be installed by Installs, or whether they will ship the dish and let the customer install it.

Lots of things are still up in the air (pun intended).

hi guys!!

I just noticed your CO thread. I will be in Denver and Colorado Springs at the end of this month. If you are interested in having your HDTV calibrated please send me an email asap.

thanks!!

Gregg
gregg@lionav.com

www.lionav.com

I've been calibrating mine on and off heh heh its looking better except it came with scratches on the green lense =(

I'm new to VOOM. Just installed on Monday in Superior CO. 15 miles from denver towards Boulder. Satellite is great but...

According to TitanTV I should be getting CBS, NBC, WB, FOX, PBS (multiple) but I only get WB, FOX, and 1 PBS. The installer (King System) used a SquareShooter Antenna. He tried to align to CBS and NBC and was only able to get 20 on the signal strength. Apparently FOX (31), WB (2), and PBS (12) must be much stronger as those were what came in when he "ran out of time"

Not too happy without the broadcast networks. Should I push the issue? What are better antenna options? Saw some threads on height. Right now there are no obstructions toward 136 deg. Adding channels 4, 6, and 9 would make life good.

Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

Per Sean Mota below is the list per antennaweb.org. It is about 1 block from my house.

* red - uhf KTVD-DT 19 UPN Denver CO Currently Not Available 187° 14.7 19
* red - uhf KDEN-DT 29 IND LONGMONT CO 39° 17.3 29
* blue - uhf KBDI-DT 38.1 PBS Broomfield CO 216° 25.3 38
* blue - uhf KPXC-DT 43 PAX Denver CO Currently Not Available 181° 18.3 43
* blue - uhf KWGN-DT 2.1 WB DENVER CO 188° 14.5 34
* violet - uhf KCEC-DT 51 UNI DENVER CO Testing 188° 14.6 51
* violet - uhf KRMA-DT 6.1 PBS Denver CO 136° 15.7 18
* violet - uhf KDVR-DT 31.1 FOX Denver CO TBD 188° 14.9 32
* violet - uhf KUSA-DT 9.1 NBC Denver CO 136° 15.7 16
* violet - uhf KCNC-DT 4.1 CBS Denver CO 136° 15.7 35

Thanks...Jeff

You could always try rotating the antenna yourself, if it is in a convenient location for experimenting. If this was my installation, I would call Voom and ask for a service call. It does not seem like the Square Shooter is going to do it for you. Give Voom the opportunity to correct the situation, because you should be getting all the major networks. According to the antennaweb information, you basically have OTA in two directions, 188 and 136, and you are getting the channels at 188 but not 136. It sounds like the installer oriented the antenna more toward 188, so try turning it more toward downtown Denver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts