Combiner question for OTA

wmhjr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
OK, I've tried reading a bunch, and still have a question. I've got a Dishnet 921 to which I'm connected to a RS VU120XR for OTA. Living in Zipcode 15332, I've got 3 primary azimuths for HD OTA. CBS, NBC, WB and Fox are between 14-17deg. PBS, HSN (useless) and UPN are at 29deg, and ABC is at a whopping 99deg. I've got a rotator, however I'd rather eliminate that so that I can truly use the DVR features of the 921 for OTA. I *think* I can get everything except ABC without moving. Using my rotator, I can get ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS with no issues at all. I honestly haven't checked FOX yet, as well as the others. I've read about adding a 2nd UHF antenna for just one channel (in this case ABC) and have the room. The existing VU120XR is elevated about 7' above the rotor.

Question: I'm confused about the combiner. I'd probably set the 2nd UHF antenna to ABC, but it's channel 4.1, with a frequency of 51. What am I supposed to use, and how? Any suggestions for the UHF antenna, and would about 4' vertical separation be OK? I apologize if I'm repeating questions asked elsewhere - I did do a bit of searching through this forum.

Thanks, but...

I should have been more specific. Which joiner would I use, and which RG6 segment would it be installed on? For example, I would have the CM4228 aimed at ABC (99deg). The existing VU120XR would be aimed at around 20deg or so for everything else. I'd have an RG6 segment coming from each antenna. I'm guessing that both RG6 segments would be connected to the JoinTenna. Which model JoinTenna should be used? That's what I'm reallyl confused about. ABC is channel 4.1, but it's UHF, right? But, UHF is only above channel 13, so what gives?

wmhjr said:
ABC is channel 4.1, but it's UHF, right? But, UHF is only above channel 13, so what gives?
Most likely your analog version of ABC is Channel 4, The UHF version is Ch 51 but remaps to Channel 4 on your tuner to make thing easier. My ABC is the same way, Channel 2 on analog but 20 something on UHF.

The UHF channel the signal is actually received on is the channel for which you spec JoinTennas and the like, not the virtual channels that match your existing local television station channels. Almost all digital TV channels are UHF.

I assume you've checked out your receiveable channels here, but if not, here is a link:
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.asp

While I can't strongly endorse JoinTennas, you should order one for Channel 51. Actually, JoinTennas for UHF come in 3 Models which cover a group of channels each. When purchasing, you order the Model that covers your channel, tell them the specific channel, and the factory sets the filter for your specific channel 51. These things are not reliable and the UHF ones will bring in channels at least 2 on each side of the designated one (e.g., Channel 51 JoinTenna will bring in anything from 49 through 53). When used as a trap, they block at least 5 slots. Don't use with a pre-amp, they should precede the pre-amp if you do. I've found them to not be very rugged or durable either mechanically or electronically (I have 2 where the circuitry just stopped working).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts