Combining/splitting tuners/TV's

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

haertig

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2004
What I have now is a 522 and a 322 with each of the four total outputs going directly (no splitters) to a specific TV via RF cable (actually TV1 is connected locally via RCA, but this description is close enough for government work).

What I want is to take these four independent RF tuner outputs and combine them onto one, and then split the result. End result being any TV can receive any tuner's output by changing the (TV's) channel.

Ideal would be some type of unit that has four RF inputs and four RF outputs that I could simply put in place behing my 522/322 receivers. Does such a thing exist? Where do you get one? Are their issues of good quality/bad quality devices that would justify buying more expensive units (if they exist in the first place)?

If a drop-in thing like I want doesn't exist, I can handle the splitting part, but being a newbie I don't know about the combining part. Can you just use a splitter "backwards" to make it a combiner (for lack of a better work)?

Any tips about how to set this up would be appreciated. I realize there will be remote control issues, but I can deal with that.

Thanks!

haertig said:
... Can you just use a splitter "backwards" to make it a combiner (for lack of a better word)?

Thanks!
It's worth a shot. Probably will work, but signal strength might become an issue. A cheap video amplifier might help. Make sure the splitter is rated up to 900MHz to get the 2 TV2 UHF outputs. And (obviously) use 4 separate output channels - and make sure the 2 UHF ones are at least 3 apart.

If it doesn't work, there are mini 'head-end' amplifiers out there.

Let us know how it works out!

:) The TV 1 signal is going to be your problem, You can set the 322 to channel 4 and the 522 to channel 3 because they are frequency adjacent channels you may see interference in either picture. The lowcost method is to use a SC-3 signal combiner and use the adjusting pots to balance signal levels. On the SC-3 you would input the 522 on the ch-3 port and the 322 on the ant. port then balance the signals to minimize interference. The output of the SC-3 would be combined using a splitter backwards with the TV 2 outputs of the 322 and 522 then probably would be sent to a distribution amplifier, from the amplifier to the homes cable distribution system. If you need more than 4 outputs this might be justifiable but much more complex than your current 1 tuner for each TV.

Thanks for the replies. Boba - I understand the part about adjacent channels 3/4. What if I left off one of the RF modulated tuner outputs (channel 4) and only wanted to combine RF channel 3, and say, Agile channels 73 and 91? So basically my three upstairs TV's could choose one of three tuner outputs, but not the fourth? There are other ways to handle the family room TV since it is right there next to both receivers, it has multiple inputs, sitting next to an AV switching home theater system, etc.

A three-way combine/split would basically solve my problem, which really boils down to: Family Room on 522 TV1, master bedroom on 522 TV2. Currently recording on BOTH tuners. Master bedroom is pissed because wife can't watch what she wants because her tuner is already dedicated to recording a different show (unless she moves to one of the kid's bedrooms).

Given the above non-adjacent channel plan, how do you "combine" channels? Is a "backwards" splitter an option? Are there better options?

Thanks

You will also want to get both a channel 3 and a channel 4 signal combiner (about $20 each) so these 2 channels will not over power each other (will not need to push TV/Satellite button on your remote to select these channels) or any near by ota channels you may be receiving from an antenna. With these signal combiners in place you should then have no problem combining your channel 3 and 4 outputs in with your 2 uhf outputs into either a standard 4-way combiner/splitter or better yet a distribution amp.

I have the same setup as you. I'm not sure about TV1 from each receiver, but I hooked up TV2 outputs for both receivers to outputs 1 and 2 of a standard cable splitter. I then took the single cable and fed it into the input of a 3-way splitter, which I hooked up to three different TVs. I set one of the receivers to channel 65 and the other one to 21 or so. All 3 TVs receive both receivers.

If channels 3 and 4 interfere with each other when you do this, Radio Shack sells an RF modulator that can be set to UHF channels. YOu could use a couple of these to put TV1 outputs on UHF, too.

It all depends on what you are willing to spend, cheap will come in under $100 commercial distribution could easily hit $500. 1 tuner for each TV is still the cheapest, think about doing your recording at off hours like while you are working or sleeping. Most cable programs are shown multiple times use the search function to find alternate times.

boba said:
...think about doing your recording at off hours like while you are working or sleeping...
Well, now that I have these neat new toys - satellite and DVR and such - I neither work nor sleep anymore. I just sit in front of the boob tube now! But that shall pass. You bring up good points ... just how much recording/watching clashes will I really see once the newness of this wears off and I don't feel the urge to record damn near everything that is broadcast! I historically have watched almost zilch TV because I HATE commercials. I've been more likely to just buy the DVD I wanted to see. This DVR thing will probably bring more broadcast movies back into the mix with being able to skip commercials. But I'll bet you're right - I won't see all these conflicts in real life that I'm imagining. Thanks.

[ But I may hook all this up anyway. Just because I can! ]

OK. Final outcome. Worked like a champ! I cannot detect ANY picture degradation.

I did not attempt putting both channels 3 and 4 into the mix.

So I have chan 3, 73, and 91 going into a four-way el-cheapo Recoton splitter "backwards" (splitter was $5.99 at BestBuy). I then take the "backwards" output of that splitter into an el-cheapo Recoton 10db distribution amp that has one input and four outputs. That cost $16.99 at BestBuy. The distributon amp then goes to my three upstairs TV's, one output/cable per TV. Since I still have one input and one output left, I'll try adding chan 4 in there sometime. I need to dig up one more coax cable to do this. I know I have one more SOMEWHERE!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)