Combining TV2 Output with Time Warner digital Cable

shakti

Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
Title says it all. I wanted to combine the TV2 output from the 722 along with Time Warner Cables' digital cable signal (I have them for basic cable and my internet).
Tried di-plexer's (the one with the SAT input and the Cable/UHF input) and just the regular combiners , but no go. TV2 output gets corrupted and cannot be resolved. Tried both AIR and Cable channel's on the modulator sections nothing seems to work. Thought about using band pass filters but can't get enough information from TWC on what frequency their cable signal is transmitted at or atleast the 1st level tech's did not and when they transfer out the 2nd level ususally says that is proprietary..load of crap
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions

Hi,

Actually I'm thinking of doing/trying the same thing. We have Road Runner from TW, and unless they've changed something I should be able to get some of the basic channels over the same coax even though we've quite subscribing to Time warner Cable.

I'll do some testing this evening and let you know what I found out as well.

Take care --

Sam

you can double diplex, i would not mess with the internet though, it's on a 109 mzh fq and the diplexers aren't rated for that, you'll be fine with the basic catv though

No diplexers don't work, actually they are used only to combine SAT signals and Cable/UHF signals, then using another diplexer downstream to parse them. I do this to use the same cable wiring to send both SAT and TWC signals to my TV. I can't throw TV2 signal into that mix. I think short of running two separate cable wirings to each room, I am out of luck on this one.
Back when TWC just had analog cable signals, I was able to combine the two signals and then distribute them throughout the house. With the new digital signals to support HD et al, there is interference from the cable signals and the TV2 output is all but washed out on whatever modulated signal you select.

Last edited:
thank you, ordered one from amazon, let's see
What channel are you sending the TV2 output on. Want to mimic your setup as much as possible to see if it works here in So.Cal :up

Now if I could afford the ZvPro 250 that would be icing on the cake

Compare ZeeVee Products | ZeeVee.com

I want one of those too. I think I will wait and see if Dish does anything similar.

I use channels 116, 120, 124 and 126, you will have to experiment as TW is changing many things about their systems, some channels that are clear in RDU may be used on your system. If your basic cable is lifeline and stops in the 20's you may find anything around 60 works.

Ordered the LPF-750 as well just in case;)

I want one of those too. I think I will wait and see if Dish does anything similar.

I use channels 116, 120, 124 and 126, you will have to experiment as TW is changing many things about their systems, some channels that are clear in RDU may be used on your system. If your basic cable is lifeline and stops in the 20's you may find anything around 60 works.

I was able to do exactly what you're trying to do with just a cheap combiner I had laying around.

I have Roadrunner only, and still get the unencrypted QAM channels to all 4 TVs in my house. In the bedroom I connected the TV2 output from Dish and combined it to the TWC cable, then scanned for channels.

Previously I had my Dish TV2 signal on channel 77 (cable), but couldn't get that channel to work after the combine. Tried a few other channels that worked, but were fuzzy. Eventually got channel 100 to work well. So now I get 100 as the Dish TV2 and all the other unencrypted QAM channels.

I'm guessing the trick is finding a channel not being used by TWC (which probably means no analog, no digital, no internet on that frequency), which are probably few and far between.

Mike

I'm also a TWC (basic) subscriber in SoCal. I use channel 73 for TV2 without any issues.

I've used filters in the past, but like Brewtownska, discovered that I didn't really need them and that a simple combiner works just fine. I also receive clear QAM channels without any interference with TV2 from my 722.

BigFella

I do effectively the same except instead of Cable TV service, I receive OTA (same RG cable setup though). I just used a splitter "backwards" to combine the TV2 feed from my 722k receiver and the antenna into (1) cable. The trick is selecting a channel (can't remember the menu) that the Dish receiver "transmits" on for the 2nd TV. You have to make sure it's unused by Time Warner. Actually, it might work with a channel that's already used but a) you won't get the TW channel or b) there may be interference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)