Comcast and Hopper3

Riverdan

Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Puget Sound
I have a Hopper 3 and 2 Joeys. I can't get one of the local channels because of a year long pixxing contest between Dish and a CBS station. I also have Comcast internet which gives me free basic tv channels. I now watch CBS on the free little Comcast box but it is in a different room from my main viewing location in the living room. Can I use a coaxial cable run from the Comcast box to connect to the Dish receiver and get the CBS channel available some how in my living room on the Hopper (unused coax currently in place)? The Comcast box can be left on the CBS channel since I don't need the other channels even though they are less compressed than Dish. Am I left with just running the cable to the LG C2 antenna connector? I would like to have the channel show up on the Dish guide. Oh...I live in a river bottom and can't get any OTA signals.
CBSless in Seattle

I have a Hopper 3 and 2 Joeys. I can't get one of the local channels because of a year long pixxing contest between Dish and a CBS station. I also have Comcast internet which gives me free basic tv channels. I now watch CBS on the free little Comcast box but it is in a different room from my main viewing location in the living room. Can I use a coaxial cable run from the Comcast box to connect to the Dish receiver and get the CBS channel available some how in my living room on the Hopper (unused coax currently in place)? The Comcast box can be left on the CBS channel since I don't need the other channels even though they are less compressed than Dish. Am I left with just running the cable to the LG C2 antenna connector? I would like to have the channel show up on the Dish guide. Oh...I live in a river bottom and can't get any OTA signals.
CBSless in Seattle
You are not getting charged a Broadcast Channel Fee with those locals?

Reactions: charlesrshell
You are not getting charged a Broadcast Channel Fee with those locals?
The only way around it would be if the household were part of an MDU. It isn't free, it is just rolled into the rent.
Getting local from Comcast typically involves both lifeline service and a $27+ broadcast channel fee. I suppose that it is possible that the local franchise agreement demands local channels be delivered via a Flex box but that would be an very unusual situation.

Can I use a coaxial cable run from the Comcast box to connect to the Dish receiver and get the CBS channel available some how in my living room on the Hopper (unused coax currently in place)?
Is there a coaxial output from the Comcast box? I don't think they offer a box that modulates an HD broadcast channel.

The Hopper only accepts DISH satellite and Digital Television (DTV aka ATSC) signals (through the DISH OTA adapter). You can't do a "line in" or streaming input.

You're going to need to be much more forthcoming about the identity of the Comcast box to get a considered answer. We can't operate on vague references.

I'm assuming that OTA is not an option for you as it is a problem for a great many Seattle residents.

Is there a coaxial output from the Comcast box? I don't think they offer a box that modulates an HD broadcast channel.

The Hopper only accepts DISH satellite and Digital Television (DTV aka ATSC) signals (through the DISH OTA adapter). You can't do a "line in" or streaming input.

You're going to need to be much more forthcoming about the identity of the Comcast box to get a considered answer. We can't operate on vague references.

I'm assuming that OTA is not an option for you as it is a problem for a great many Seattle residents.
The box is a Pace PXD01ANI. Has "cable in" coax, "cable out" coax and "out to TV" hdmi. My guess is I have to put the box by the living room tv and plug the hdmi cable into the tv's hdmi 2. I'll just have to mess about to receive CBS. No big loss as Cox here has very poor local programming. Just need access to the games.
Even with a 30 ft mast for an ota there is nothing. The bluff is 75 ft high.

Yep, but Dish and CBS are fighting and I can't get that particular local.
Have you thought about Paramount+ with Showtime, for $12, you would get your local CBS Live, Showtime Live and On Demand, CBS on Demand, Streaming Shows, everything in 1080P/4K.

Then you can have CBS in that room that is without.

Then you could add a Joey in that room , total would be $19, still cheaper then that Broadcast fee from Comcast, specially since it goes up to $30 next month, you will gain a lot more content.

Cox Media Group is a DBA of Terrier Media Buyer, Inc. and is not associated with Cox Communications (cable) or COX Enterprises (the mother ship).

Either way, KIRO is neither owned nor operated by CBS.
Ya know, I don't really care who the parent of KIRO is. I can't get the KIRO/CBS channel from Dish because of the pissing contest with whoever the hell owns KIRO, a very tall mast and an OTA antenna won't work but I do get KIRO with comcast as a basic channel with internet via a Pace set top box. Going to run coax from the modem in the computer room to the tv in the living room and connect the box to HDMI 2. End of thread.

Ya know, I don't really care who the parent of KIRO is. I can't get the KIRO/CBS channel from Dish because of the pissing contest with whoever the hell owns KIRO, a very tall mast and an OTA antenna won't work but I do get KIRO with comcast as a basic channel with internet via a Pace set top box. Going to run coax from the modem in the computer room to the tv in the living room and connect the box to HDMI 2. End of thread.
If you sub to Paramount + , you get your local CBS Station on stream at no extra cost.