SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
mesa az
Have
Hopper 3
Roku Ultra
FireStick 4k
Denon avr-s760h (also issue with previous Yamaha rx-a780)
LG 86uq8000 tv

HDMI-CEC activated on all devices.

Watching Hopper,
press home on Roku, system switches to roku
while navigating roku to particular stream,
system swithces back to Hopper.
repeat this process multiple times, some times several times.
eventually, system stays on roku.
sometimes, well into watching stream, system switches back to Hopper (random times, 30+ min)

same happens with FireStick.

the system is not switching from Hopper to other devices,
only from other devices to Hopper.
does not seem to be receiver issue, as was happening with previous receiver.

thoughts?
suggestions?

is this a known issue with Hopper pushing random HDMI-CEC hits?

thanx,
KaptainRandom

It's not an issue I'm aware of, but a couple things you can try is resetting the hopper of course. Then you can try taking batteries out of dish remote to make sure it's not sending anything, and can try a different hdmi cable.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I wonder if this is involved with the 1 minute buffer on the Hopper when shut down. Kaptain, when it reverts to Hopper do you have the standby screen or do you have a program running.

Program running
So that proves it is not the 1 minute buffer. But, it would appear that CEC is not turning off the Hopper when you go to another device. What you might try is to actually shut the Hopper down before pressing the Roku Home button and see if that fixes it. CEC is not standardized and can cause all kinds of issues with different devices.

I hate CEC/ARC, so many issues , similar to what he is experiencing, some even worse, like sound drop outs and speaker pop sounds when you turned things off.

Since I have a PS5 and a XBOX X, decided months ago to buy a Anthem AVM 70 8K Processor, hooked up everything direct to the Anthem, then one HDMI out to the TV.

Turned off CEC/ARC, no more issues, just have to select the input on the Anthem’s remote, which is not a big deal.

I do have 4 remotes again, vs one when I used eArc/CEC, but I am a guy, I can handle it.

So that proves it is not the 1 minute buffer. But, it would appear that CEC is not turning off the Hopper when you go to another device. What you might try is to actually shut the Hopper down before pressing the Roku Home button and see if that fixes it. CEC is not standardized and can cause all kinds of issues with different devices.
I am also considering the idea that
Dvr timers might be sending a CEC hit at start of timers.

We have a Fire TV connected to an A/V receiver in the Living room. I had a Roku hooked up to one of the inputs on the A/V receiver and I have a Blu-ray player on the other one. HDMI control is enabled on both the A/V receiver and the Hopper too. When I turn on the Tv in the morning it will default to the Fire TV home screen. I then have to go to the inputs till I find the A/V receiver and when I want to turn on the satellite receiver I have to hit the sat button on the remote control and then select button and it will produce the picture, but the sound will cut out, then the picture. I have to continue to push the Sat button till the input settles down on the satellite. It's like the Hopper and the Fire TV are having a fight over who is going to watch what. If I then turn the A/V receiver on to the Roku it will be a fight between the satellite and the Roku. I finally cut the Roku out and put it on another TV. If I turn on the Blu-ray it will automatically go straight to it even if I am on satellite. So HDMI control is a fickle thing. :smug

What I have done/tried so far.

Replaced Yamaha with Denon receiver.
No fix.

All devices HDMI-CEC is On.

On receiver,
Moved Hopper from input-1 to input-2.
Now...
Input-1 (4k) empty
Input-2 (4k) Hopper
Input-3 (4k) empty
Input-4 (8k) Firestick
Input-5 (8k) Roku
Input-6 (8k) empty

Placed Hopper into standby mode.
Pressed Home button on Roku.
Receiver switched to Roku.
Navigated to ESPN app.
Started ESPN app.
Started Monday Night Football.

So far,
So good,
Accepting this is 1st attempt using this methodology.
Hope it is a fix.

Not Good News.
Got home tonight.
All is off.
Pressed Dish remote tv power button.
Tv turns on.
Receiver turns on.
Receiver is on Roku.
Press Dish remote sat button.
Receiver switches to Hopper for a few seconds then back to Roku.
Go over to receiver.
Manual turn receiver knob to select Hopper 3.
Walk back to chair.
Receiver passes thru pic but no sound.
Press Dish remote receiver power off.
press again receiver on Hopper with sound.
Few seconds receiver back to Roku.
Get receiver specific remote.
Press input for Hopper.
Goes to Hopper.
Few seconds, back to roku.
Use receiver remote to select Hopper again.
This time goes to hopper and stay rest of evening (couple hours).

Frustrating.

• Wow
Not Good News.
Got home tonight.
All is off.
Pressed Dish remote tv power button.
Tv turns on.
Receiver turns on.
Receiver is on Roku.
Press Dish remote sat button.
Receiver switches to Hopper for a few seconds then back to Roku.
Go over to receiver.
Manual turn receiver knob to select Hopper 3.
Walk back to chair.
Receiver passes thru pic but no sound.
Press Dish remote receiver power off.
press again receiver on Hopper with sound.
Few seconds receiver back to Roku.
Get receiver specific remote.
Press input for Hopper.
Goes to Hopper.
Few seconds, back to roku.
Use receiver remote to select Hopper again.
This time goes to hopper and stay rest of evening (couple hours).

Frustrating.
You need to turn off the CEC control in the Roku menu, it is telling your Receiver to switch.

I turned off all CEC Control for all devices, just use the Audio Processor’s remote, for example input 1 is the Roku Ultra, 2 is the 4K BR Player, 3 is the PS5, etc.

I even had to turn it off in the PS5, one time, my Lab laid on the controller, turned it on, the Processor switched to input 3 while I was watching Football on the Roku

I cancelled Dish recently. But I had similar issue with it fighting for control with my Apple TV. Hopper 3 was connected to SONY receiver which was connected to ARC HDMI input on my 2019 LG OLED TV. The Apple TV was connected to another HDMI port on the LG TV.