Questions about Canceling

Tecmo SB Guy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
I've been mulling it over the past few weeks. I'm leaning towards cord cutting and getting rid of DISH.

I'm renting a 722K and am currently not on a contract.

How much will it cost me to cancel?

And what does DISH want back?

I've been mulling it over the past few weeks. I'm leaning towards cord cutting and getting rid of DISH.

I'm renting a 722K and am currently not on a contract.

How much will it cost me to cancel?

And what does DISH want back?
It will cost you nothing. I doubt DISH will ask you to return that 722.

When I cancelled this time last year I was requested to send my Hooper and Joeys back along with the LNB and Solo Node. As Bobby noted, they may not ask for you to send back the 722, but if they do they will send you the box, packing materials and pre-paid labels to send it back to Dish via UPS. I did not return the LNB as requested as it was installed high on my home. They got the really important stuff back and didnt give me a problem over the LNB.

When I cancelled this time last year I was requested to send my Hooper and Joeys back along with the LNB and Solo Node. As Bobby noted, they may not ask for you to send back the 722, but if they do they will send you the box, packing materials and pre-paid labels to send it back to Dish via UPS. I did not return the LNB as requested as it was installed high on my home. They got the really important stuff back and didnt give me a problem over the LNB.
Wait-Dish paid to have the Hopper sent back when you cancelled? I thought the (ex) customer had to pay for shipping.Or did you mean Dish sent you printed labels that were paid for on your last bill?

Wait-Dish paid to have the Hopper sent back when you cancelled? I thought the (ex) customer had to pay for shipping.Or did you mean Dish sent you printed labels that were paid for on your last bill?
Dish and most other companies with leased equipment have always sent return boxes with prepaid shipping labels.

Dish and most other companies with leased equipment have always sent return boxes with prepaid shipping labels.
That is not exactly true. DISH would send you a prepaid box if you were sending back partial receivers, like a Joey or two but not the Hopper. If you were cancelling you paid the freight. It has been that way forever.

Last edited:
That is not exactly true. DISH would send you a prepaid box if you were sending back partial receivers, like a Joey or two but not the Hopper. If you were cancelling you paid the freight. It has been that way forever.
No, it's all free. I've never once heard of them charging to send equipment back. I've worked for them for 11 years and have helped people cancel for various reasons and there's never been a charge.

I think I saw a final kick-me-in-the-arse fee for when I sent back hopper a couple weeks ago.

I switched to Channels DVR ($8/mo for guide data only) for recording OTA and live streaming like Pluto TV and TV Everywhere. I can still use TV Everywhere login from Dish account to stream some free channels like Comet and news.

Not something they’d likely think a tech should know.
Not really something we need to know. But I've canceled many accounts that move into north facing apartments, people that just wanted to cancel because they are done anyways, as well as had many many return boxes sent out to return unused joeys (not canceling), or hoppers we left behind to transfer recordings or various other reasons. Not even once out of hundreds of calls has any fees ever been mentioned.

Not really something we need to know. But I've canceled many accounts that move into north facing apartments, people that just wanted to cancel because they are done anyways, as well as had many many return boxes sent out to return unused joeys (not canceling), or hoppers we left behind to transfer recordings or various other reasons. Not even once out of hundreds of calls has any fees ever been mentioned.
As long as it is not a cancellation and just returning some of the receivers there is no charge. Once cancellation takes place the rules change.