MIGuy

Wolverine
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 16, 2004
From the Lansing State Journal

Published December 11, 2004

Schneider: Comcast compromises on vanishing satellite equipment

GRAND LEDGE - A few months ago, Barb Francis made the switch from Dish Network satellite TV to Comcast cable.

The circumstances under which Francis' satellite equipment disappeared are a matter of dispute. But the upshot was that Francis found herself on the hook for $383.63.

"Dish Network is going to turn me over to a collections agency," Francis gasped when she called me this week.

After I phoned Comcast on behalf of Francis, company spokesman Jerome Espy investigated Francis' predicament and worked out a deal.

Francis, who lives in Grand Ledge, will pay Dish Network the $383.63. But then Comcast will credit Francis' account with that amount, meaning she won't have to pay a cable bill for awhile.

Francis accepted the offer as a fair compromise.

Long gone

Both sides agree that a Comcast technician hauled Francis' satellite equipment away after Francis boxed it up. But under what arrangement?

Francis said she assumed that the Comcast guy was returning the equipment to Dish Network as part of the deal.

But according to Espy, the Comcast technician was under the impression that Francis had purchased the equipment outright from Dish Network and that he was simply doing her the favor of disposing of the stuff.

Comcast, Espy said, is not in the habit of returning equipment to satellite companies.

Not knowing that, Francis assumed that once the satellite gear left her doorstep, it was bound for Dish Network.

Only on Nov. 30 when Francis got the big bill from Dish Network did she realize that something was amiss.

For a week, Francis went back and forth between the two companies, finally landing on a hard reality: The dish equipment had been discarded.

But it belonged to Dish Network; Francis was merely renting the stuff. Somebody had to pay for it.

Though not crazy about having to pay the $383.63 upfront, Francis is satisfied with the prospect of getting the money back eventually.

For his part, Espy said Comcast is crediting Francis' account as a "courtesy."

"There probably was a miscommunication," he said. "We have no way of knowing what was said. But typically, it wouldn't have happened this way."

Here is how I would put it, Comcast took it so they are the ones that should have to pay for it. The information should have been found out if the equipment was leased or owned. I wonder how many times this happens seeing how many DHA customers are out there that end up taking a special cable buy back promotion.

It is a logical problem. Having a "buy back" program leads people to believe that the cable company is buying out their commitment with the satellite provider. Why shouldn't they let the cable installer take the equipment?

JL

When I made the switch to Comcast - and received a discount because I gave them my receiver - they made it very clear what the deal was. Both in the form that I signed and verbally (over the phone when I ordered and at installation) they made sure that I owned the equipment and that I understood I would not be able to get it back.

Sounds like there was a communication problem but Comcast went beyond what they had to do. I seriously doubt if Dish Network or DirecTV would have done the same... My bet would be that they would have said "Sorry - but the equipment was your responsibility!"

I have dealt with DirecTV, Dish Network and Comcast quit a bit over the last year... Comcast has been the only one of the three that even acted like they wanted my business. My general impression of Dish Network is that they are confused and not sure what's up.. DirecTV has the attitude "We are the best - if you have any problems with us it is because you have mental problems. What do you mean our HD picture quality is lower than others? Sir, have you been drinking? Do you need glasses?".

All providers will make mistakes... It happens... The differences between them really shows up after they screw something up!

Just goes to show that customers need to be educated better on the lease/own promotions. Only the retailers know fully well the possible consequences and the customers only get a half a clue. When you think of satellite, you think of owning the equipment not leasing it like cable companies. DISH Network needs to do a better job advertising that fact or stress it to the customers on their bill or on their welcome kit.

As much as I hate Comcast, I can't blame them here. That woman is a complete moron for thinking Comcast would return the equipment. I can't believe that whatever she signed with Comcast didn't ask her to confirm that she owned the equipment. This isn't E*'s fault either. There is no excuse for not reading the agreement you sign.

Mike Greer said:
Sounds like there was a communication problem but Comcast went beyond what they had to do. I seriously doubt if Dish Network or DirecTV would have done the same... My bet would be that they would have said "Sorry - but the equipment was your responsibility!"

If she were a Comcast customer switching to Dish/Direct and the satelitte installer took her Comcast equipment with him. Comcast would have made her pay for the equipment because "the equipment was her responsibility!" You lease the equipment from the cable company when you get service so you have to return the equipment when you cancel. She was renting the equipment from Dish so of course she would have to return it or pay for it.

dtanderson said:
If she were a Comcast customer switching to Dish/Direct and the satelitte installer took her Comcast equipment with him. Comcast would have made her pay for the equipment because "the equipment was her responsibility!" You lease the equipment from the cable company when you get service so you have to return the equipment when you cancel. She was renting the equipment from Dish so of course she would have to return it or pay for it.

I agree that Comcast would have made her pay (as they should)... But you're not suggesting that if the situation was reversed that Dish Network would have credited her account the $383.63 are you? After my dealings with Dish Network I can't imagine they would do anything more than tell her she is an idiot and send her a PPV coupon.

Mike Greer said:
I agree that Comcast would have made her pay (as they should)... But you're not suggesting that if the situation was reversed that Dish Network would have credited her account the $383.63 are you? After my dealings with Dish Network I can't imagine they would do anything more than tell her she is an idiot and send her a PPV coupon.

Not suggesting the Dish would credit, just that she would have to pay for equipment that she was responsible for :) regardless if it were Dish or Comcast.

CygnusTM said:
As much as I hate Comcast, I can't blame them here. That woman is a complete moron for thinking Comcast would return the equipment. I can't believe that whatever she signed with Comcast didn't ask her to confirm that she owned the equipment. This isn't E*'s fault either. There is no excuse for not reading the agreement you sign.

You are absolutely right!

I've seen the Comcast form. It clearly states that you can keep your satellite equipment (Comcast will not take it) if the equipment is being leased and you can prove it by showing them a recent billing statement from the satellite company.

voomster2 said:
You are absolutely right!

I've seen the Comcast form. It clearly states that you can keep your satellite equipment (Comcast will not take it) if the equipment is being leased and you can prove it by showing them a recent billing statement from the satellite company.
Vote # 3 for "the woman is an idiot"....

I did the switch to TW recently myself and they were very much aware that satellite equipment is often leased nowadays. I don't recall if they asked about taking it but I told them it's not mine, so they can't have it... They didn't care. In fact, they could care less if I cancel my satellite service or not.

I have a question

Why does Comcast feel they need to take the sat equipment in the first place? If they feel their product is good enough, why do they fear subs going back sat as this is the only reason they take the equip in the first place?

Maybe they KNOW their product is NOT good enough.

belawrence said:
Why does Comcast feel they need to take the sat equipment in the first place? If they feel their product is good enough, why do they fear subs going back sat as this is the only reason they take the equip in the first place?

Pepper said:
Maybe they KNOW their product is NOT good enough.

How so? I have Comcast and DirecTV and used to have Dish Network.

If I had to choose only one them it would be Comcast. That's not to say they don't have problems but they all do.

I would choose Comcast because I can get more HDTV from Comcast and its real HD not the dumbed down so called HDTV from Dish Network and especially DirecTV.

Everyone has different priorities so what's best for one is not necessarily best for everyone.

Mike Greer said:
How so? I have Comcast and DirecTV and used to have Dish Network.

If I had to choose only one them it would be Comcast. That's not to say they don't have problems but they all do.

I would choose Comcast because I can get more HDTV from Comcast and its real HD not the dumbed down so called HDTV from Dish Network and especially DirecTV.

Everyone has different priorities so what's best for one is not necessarily best for everyone.

Admittedly, that was just a knee-jerk response, I shoulda thought more about it. Of course what you choose depends entirely on what's available in your area, and what you are wanting to accomplish.

If it's something bandwidth intensive such as lots of HD or video on demand, then the local cable operator will always have an advantage in this area (whether or not they exercise that advantage depends on the local carrier, Mediacom in my area is deplorable) because unlike satellite which is trying to serve the needs of the entire country using a single infrastructure, local carriers are free to carry only what their local customers are willing to pay for; Mediacom in Satsuma doesn't use any of its bandwidth for Peoria local channels, to use a stupid example.

Anyway, I would love to find the dumpster where they put the stuff they collected if they throw it away. No doubt they do something to make it inoperable first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)