Comcast HD channels on Basic..no extra charges (Michigan)

luckycat

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
Michigan
I've had DishHD since it was available...paying $20 extra a month for the HD channels. I understand that DirecTV's HD offerings are $10 extra per month... but I just read this:

Comcast puts HD on basic access

The devil could be in the details - I know Comcast doesn't have as many HD channels as Dish, by far, but all I really watch are the locals and Discovery HD, primarily. And yes I know this question of $ for HD has been discussed on other threads..so this is just news to those who might want to drop their monthly price for "basic tier" HD offerings.

I know many people in West Michigan who left Comcast when they could not get a deal done with the Big Ten Network. They were already upset with the price and lack of HD, but not being able to watch Michigan or Michigan State sports was the last straw.

Although, I tried hard to convince the three of them to go with D*, they all went with E*. Again, it came down to price. None of them wanted to pay upfront for the HDDVR.

Cox Communications in Cleveland does the same thing. All HD is part of their Digital tier. However, the rest of the digital tier stinks, so as I see it, my digital tier cost is my HD cost.

Still, Cox was about $10 cheaper. I still switched to E* for more HD.

I know many people in West Michigan who left Comcast when they could not get a deal done with the Big Ten Network. They were already upset with the price and lack of HD, but not being able to watch Michigan or Michigan State sports was the last straw.

Although, I tried hard to convince the three of them to go with D*, they all went with E*. Again, it came down to price. None of them wanted to pay upfront for the HDDVR.

I am one of those, having just been with Dish for 2 weeks. Not just BTN, but just as important was when Comcast moved the NFL Network to an extra sports tier. With the NFL Network starting NFL games on Turkey Day, and my alma mater, MSU, having 17 games on BTN, seeya Comcast.

This would be a good deal if you could get them with a QAM tuner. Can you do that, or do you really need to rent a box from them? (The local Comcast franchise only has the local HD channels available without a box, last time I checked, and in fact their website still says you need a box for them even though they're free. That last part is probably clueless people in marketing however.)

You probably don't need a box, you can usually get CableCARD for cheaper than the box. I have two CableCARDs in a TiVo series3. Cox charges me $2.50 for them, which is cheaper than the $8 or so they'd charge for one of their boxes.

My TV would support CableCARD too if I didn't have the TiVo.

Probably only HD locals unscrambled QAM. All other HD channels are scrambled, so you need a cable card or STB for them.

Comcast in Colorado added NFL to the HD package this week. I think I was paying extra for the sports tier, though.

This would be a good deal if you could get them with a QAM tuner. Can you do that, or do you really need to rent a box from them? (The local Comcast franchise only has the local HD channels available without a box, last time I checked, and in fact their website still says you need a box for them even though they're free. That last part is probably clueless people in marketing however.)

I have Dish, but a friend who lives nearby has Comcast. He bought an Olevia TV late last year and was pleased to discover that he could get a number of HD channels through the QAM tuner when he connected the cable directly to the TV. But recently he complained to me that Comcast had scrambled all HD (including locals) and now he could only get them if he used one of their digital boxes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)