Comcast Hidden channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mnfishnut

Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
If I bypass the HD box and go directly into my cable input with the cable I see all the "cable ready" channels (some numbers incorrect) however I also see channels like 69-1 to 69-3, channel 85-1 to 85-10, 86-1 to 86-10 and many others like this. Some of these are HD 1080i (example 69-1). I see the local networks in HD without the box.
I would like to see a complete channel lineup. In other words everything coming in on the cable before the box sorts it out.
It appears to me I can view some HD channels without the box.
Any one else aware of this? Any way of getting a breakdown? I suppose I can sit and scroll through them all however it is difficult to identify what channel you are looking at.
Mpls Comcast

Thanks

Your TV has what is called a QAM tuner (and I'll have to defer to someone with more knowledge to explain what QAM means--I have no idea). The unencrypted HiDef channels are viewable on those channels. If you look at Comcast's descriptions of HiDef, they only show the premium HiDef channels as requiring a converter box. These unencrypted local channels are part of your basic service with Comcast.

Apparently, some cable systems move their QAM channels around from time to time. But I don't think Comcast does--at least they haven't in the year since I got my HD set.

Since Comcast includes the unencrypted HD channels in your basic service, they might provide you with a list of their locations. I went through the channels available to me via QAM, and it didn't take very long to identify them--it's the one and only time I appreciated those network logos being on-screen all the time.

There is no listing as the channels do get remapped (moved around) often. Both Comcast and Knology here do that. Plus, some that are unencrypted now go away and some others open. I don't know what the rhyme or reason is.

Usually what you see are the local HDs, some digital level HDs, music channels, basic digital channels, VOD. Every now and then a premium channels comes in but it too goes away after awhile. When that happens, you have to rescan for channels again as they do not keep the same ones.

QAM?

Can an ATSC tuner also pick up these hidden channels direct from cable? My 37 LCD does not list a QAM tuner. Is it possible when unit was repaired they added the latest now with a QAM?

They will only show up if you have the QAM tuner, dish's ATSC tuner in their STBs (for example) are not digital cable (QAM) ready. Likewise with a good number of computer HD Tuners. As far as your tv goes, the only way to find out is to plug your cable into the set and let it search for digital channels. Probably wouldn't hurt to be sure you are using a good grade cable, something like RG6.

Thanks. Yes I did a scan when the unit came back from repair and I now get 69 analog and 14 added dtv with channels like 86-10 and 86-13 etc... Unit is specified to only have a NTSC and ATSC.

Your TV has what is called a QAM tuner (and I'll have to defer to someone with more knowledge to explain what QAM means--I have no idea).

QAM stands for Quadrature Amplitude Modulation. Cable companies use it rather than the 8VSB system OTA ATSC stations use because it can carry more data (more channels). There are several versions- like 64QAM, 128QAM, 256QAM. Each increment can carry more data but requires better system SNR (signal-to-noise) ratios in order to work.

Thanks Zoreo, I understand the QAM function. I purchased a SYLVANIA LC370SS8 that only came with a ATSC and NTSC. I sent it back for repair and when it came back it can know pick up some DTV over my analog cable hook up. So I can only conclude that Funai when repairing the unit put in the latest sub module that contains a QAM. Their 42" now has a QAM. Or is their another explaination?

So does this sound correct? (and yes I know Funai is a horrible company to do business with!)

As I understand it, 8VSB and QAM are similar enough that it is not difficult to design a demodulator chip that will work with both systems. Rather the manufacturers chooses to employ this capability is another thing. Chips are very expensive to design- but cheap to manufacture in bulk so manufacturers often use the same demodulator chip in all their models and simply disable the more deluxe features in the lower-price models.

Any way of getting a breakdown? I suppose I can sit and scroll through them all however it is difficult to identify what channel you are looking at.
Mpls Comcast

Thanks

I know this post is old, but you may be able to get a breakdown of what's available via unscrambled QAM by popping your zipcode in at silicondust.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts