[COMCAST] HowTo - 30 second Skip trick for the Motorola 6412 DVR

txdude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Dallas/Ft.Worth
I hope this hasn't been posed here before. If it has please ignore this.

Here is a little remote programing trick I saw on another site for your Comcast remote that will give you a Tivo like 30 second skip for skipping commercials on Comcast's DVR :)

1. Press the "cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2. Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
3. Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice.
4. Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button.
5. Type in the code 00173 for the 30 second skip.
6. Press whatever button on the remote you want to map the skip function to. (I used the lock button).

It would be nice if people would add a disclaimer and realize that there is more than one make & model of box out there on the Comcast (and other) system(s)...

This only works on the Motorola 6412. It does not work on the Scientific Atlanta boxes. It would be nice to clarify that before SA folks spent hours trying to get it to work.

A more appropriate title...

HowTo - 30 second Skip trick for the Motorola 6412 DVR

Does anyone have a link to a list of all possible remote programing options for 6412? I've seen the 30sec how too many times but would like to know what other thingsa we can possibly do. The main jump feature I miss from my DTV Tivo was 15 min jump. For me that was handy.

goober22 said:
It would be nice if people would add a disclaimer and realize that there is more than one make & model of box out there on the Comcast (and other) system(s)...

This only works on the Motorola 6412. It does not work on the Scientific Atlanta boxes. It would be nice to clarify that before SA folks spent hours trying to get it to work.

A more appropriate title...

HowTo - 30 second Skip trick for the Motorola 6412 DVR

I'm sorry goober22, I posted this when I was sleepy :sleeo and I didn't give much thought to the fact that Comcast might be using more than one model/brand of DVR. Thanks for mentioning it, I'm sure it will prevent some frustration for those that are not using the Moto 6412.

The cable DVR's don't come with skip forward and back buttons preprogrammed? What the heck is the use of having a DVR if you can't use it to skip stuff.

Do they at least have FF/REW buttons?

They need to be programmed into the remote, as is clear in the above posts. It sounds about as difficult as changing the remote address on a Dish receiver. I'm sure you can handle it. They do have FF and REW buttons, pre-programmed.

BTW, the DirecTivo is the same way.

OTOH, the Dish DVR's do have them. They just don't always work. Apparently, the latest SW for the 721 killed the skip back, and is causing intemittent problems with the skip fprward, on many units. It appears that I sold mine just in time.

Thanks for the tip. Works great.

Is there a way to revert back to the beginning of a program by pushing just 1 button, instead of 1 min intervals?

Does anyone know where I can get a "User Manual" for the 6412? The one supplied by
Comcast is a joke. When I got the 721 from Dish, the manual was over 100 pages.

Old post I know but I figured it'd be a better idea to post to the original than posting the same thing again with an addendum. This same trick works on the Motorola 3412 as well.

nsafreak said:
Old post I know but I figured it'd be a better idea to post to the original than posting the same thing again with an addendum. This same trick works on the Motorola 3412 as well.

Are you sure it is a Motorola 3412 and not a 6412? I was just on the Motorola web site and they did not list a Motorola 3412, just a 6208 which is a single tuner DVR and the 6412 which is their duel tuner DVR. Or is it an older DVR not listed or a new digital only one that is not on their site yet? Just curious.

Pepper said:
The cable DVR's don't come with skip forward and back buttons preprogrammed? What the heck is the use of having a DVR if you can't use it to skip stuff.

Do they at least have FF/REW buttons?

The 6412 remote (the one with no PIP buttons at the bottom) does have a 10 second skip back button preprogrammed as well as FF/REW buttons. It does not come programmed with a 30 second skip forward button, which I find rather odd. The following website give instructions for several commands you can program on the remote. As well as some info on known bugs and quirks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_6412

It's very helpful, and I've posted it several times before.

MY GAWD THANK YOU!!! I just moved from Dish Network with a DVR-921 to this crappy (ok that's harsh, sub-par) Motorola HD/DVR Receiver. To my horror there was no SKIP FORWARD HOT BUTTON! This was an awesome tip, thanks bro!

.....sniff......I do miss my 921....

There is a LONG thread on AVS Forums about the Motorola 6412. If you look there a while you can find it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts