Comcast install gone wrong lol

OoTLink

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2005
Yes, that's right, I named a problem and then laughed about it..

The installer came by today at 3:30 from a 12-4 time frame, go figure.. anyway, he brings in the cable modem, the digital cable box, and ... that's it.

We have dish network currently installed in our house and didn't want the wiring for that to be interrupted, after all it is our house wiring. So I told the guy that there's cable to the demarc but he'll have to run a coax wire from there to one of our 2 jacks, the downstairs one is fine because I have a wire running upstairs from there.. no problem, right?

Wrong.

"I see you have 4 coax lines, and those are ours so your satellite guy will have to install a new one"....

wait.. did the guy just claim *OUR* in-house wiring is his? :shocked :smug

So he uses one of the coax lines from the demarc into the house wiring, then says that he won't provide any wires from the jacks to the TVs.. what a jackass. So I have to borrow some wire I was using on another TV to plug the digital cable box in, and here's where things get worse..

The digital cable box is some really old, used motorola box from the 90s. It doesn't have firewire (which is legally obligated if you ask for it), and well.. the OSD is a piece of junk.

The cable modem was new, but I had to set all the wiring myself.. obviously it came with its own wire, but it took me about 30 mins to redo things so that the modem and all the tvs, not to mention the digital box for one of the TVs, worked..

This is all supposed to be things HE was supposed to do, and in the process I had to supply a ton of my own coax to wire the TVs to the jacks.

So I called comcast really mad and asked if they were supposed to do an outside wire run if it was necessary to one of the jacks, they said yeah.. (some people say it's included and some say it costs $15, really no big deal). They said they'd send someone to fix it in the morning.

I still will likely have to call to get another box, even though I complained about that too.

Good job, guys. LOL.

That guy was a jackass. Any wiring inside your house that you own is legally yours. I would have told him to kiss my ass and call Comcast to send another tech.

Yeah, sorry if the explanation was really wonky but that's as good as I could make it lol, to simplify it:

1. The jack downstairs needed to be wired to the demarcation point (drill hole in wall, run wire around to demarc, all outside)
2. 2 lengths of wire for the 2 downstairs TVs to that jack
3. The cable box needs to be swapped for one that has firewire (at the least), it's pathetically old. The fact they supplied me with a used remote is disgusting too.

I'm looking forward to this all working :D

My dad is going to get the triple play next week and they will install digital phone/digital cable/hsi and we already have D* lines run, I seriously hope the tech doesn't mess with our D* lines except for one that he will be allowed to and one that will be used by the cable modem. I will be watching him like a hawk and asking him a lot of questions...

Anyone in Nashville w/ the Comcast Digital Starter Pack?

New HD for the Olympics! (Orlando)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)