comcast installed--won't last long

shelly

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
Former Voomer here. To simplify things, I upgraded to Comcast digital Platinum + hd from my limited basic service (local channels + fm which can't be gotten without cable in my location).

Installation was yesteday (Friday). Similar deal as others got--total of $104.95/month for 1 sd, 1 hd receiver with $25 monthly discount for 16 months. I doubt that I will make it that long.

The sd digital receiver had no s-video and no digital audio output. I sent it back and would replace it with another hd receiver (for another fee--that sucks.) No other models available in my area.

The hd receiver has so many shortcomings, in my opinion, that I am now thinking of returning to Dish. And I will once the dust settles with the Voom channels.

I hate the program guide. It starts back at the first channel (ch 2) each time just like the Voom receiver did before the software upgrade.

The program guide shows just the single current program. You have to scroll to another screen to advance 1/2 time slots.

The program guide will not work through my s-video cable which is connected to a separate tv input for sd programs. Nor will the Favorite button. These only work through the component connection.

The movie guide only shows movies that are starting at the time, not all movies that are showing.

There is only one Favorite guide, just like Voom but unlike D and E.

The first 72 channels are still analog.

I've always depended on the program guide to decide on what I watch. Rarely plan early to watch anything. I have had D, E and Voom and the Comcast guide is the worst and least informative of them all.

Am I missing something? Is there a trick involved here to address any of my complaints?

Shelly

The program guide should start from the chanel you are on, and like Voom, all outputs are live on the Comcast boxes, so you shouldn't have the guide show up under one connection and not the other. Either the box is sending a signal to the output code or it's not.

Yes, the first 72 chanels are still analog, this way you can hook up a TV without needing a box to decode them.

What area are you in? The OnDemand and DVR upgrades are very awesome, well worth the measly $10 a month they charge--for both. I would agree that their program guide needs some work, but on the whole, it's a nice little system.

digideal said:
The program guide should start from the chanel you are on, and like Voom, all outputs are live on the Comcast boxes, so you shouldn't have the guide show up under one connection and not the other. Either the box is sending a signal to the output code or it's not.

Yes, the first 72 chanels are still analog, this way you can hook up a TV without needing a box to decode them.

What area are you in? The OnDemand and DVR upgrades are very awesome, well worth the measly $10 a month they charge--for both. I would agree that their program guide needs some work, but on the whole, it's a nice little system.

No dvr in my area.

Program guide always starts with channel 2.

If lisening to a music channel, my Favorites button only scrolls through the Favorite music channels, not the complete Favorites list.

If I am on a hd channel, and switch to my sd input (s-video), if I am still on any of the now down converted hd channels, neither the program guide nor favorites buttons work.

Is my box defective?

Shelly

It's a Motorola DTC 6200/2005 (I assume this is manufacturing date.)

Another quirk:

if I am listening to a Music Choice channel, and press Favorites button--just my Music Choice Favorites are included in the favorites list as I scroll.

If I am watching any other Favorites channel, no Music Choice stations are included in the favorites list as I scroll.

Any time that I press the Enter button on the remote, while watching any channel, I get a list of Music Choice stations. Pressing the Guide button always starts with Ch 2.

Shelly.

I've been playing with the remote most of the day and have discovered something about the program guide.

If I chose a channel from scrolling in the program guide, and then press the Guide button, it (the guide) will begin with the currently watched channel.

If I chose a channel from the Channel up/down buttons, or from the Favorites button on the remote without using the program guide, and then press Guide, the program guide will always start with Channel 2.

This probably explains why others have posted that the guide will start with the current channel.

Pressing Enter on the remote always brings up just the Music choice channels. This is now my quick and easy way to access these channels which won't appear in my Favorites selections of regular channels. (As I mentioned before, if I am listening to a MC channel, and then press Favorites, just the MC channels (not any of my other Favorite channels) will show.)

I'm slowly learning to make lemonade from my lemon.

Shelly

Former Voomer and E* subscriber here. I endured 6 years with Dish, and suffered through the drama of Voom to the point where I wanted nothing to do with either one. I went back to Comcast after a 5 year hiatus, and have been pleasantly surprised. They have far fewer HD channels than Voom (about 12 altogether - including my locals), but they all seem to have interesting content that changes on a regular basis. The biggest plus is that I no longer have to have an OTA antenna, as the local HD channels come in via the cable. I may not have super sophisticated tastes, but the majority of my TV viewing occurs on the local channels - so having them come in without OTA is HUGE for me. Voom's 21 channels of home grown HD was compelling the first month, then became monotonous as the same programming was repeated ad nauseum over the past year & a half. It's refreshing to have programming on all my TVs in the house without the need for receivers in every room. On my HD set, I have Comcast's dual tuner HD receiver with built-in HD DVR, and at $10/month, it beats the crap out of VOOM and E* equipment.

As a plus, now that I have returned to Comcast, I am installing their high speed (up to 4MBS) Internet service and can finally get rid of my crawling DSL connection.

I have no regrets at this point in time, although I am holding on to my Dish equipment - just in case.

I have dish and voom, and was waiting to see if voom would make it before cancelling dish. When voom announced shut down, and advised a new service provider, comcast had the most HD at the time, so I went with them with a 25 dollar discount for a year. For a brief time I had three providers coming in, voom, dish, and comcast, then the announcement that dish would take over the voom programming.

Now I have dish an comcast. I have downgraded dish to minimum content with HD, but am keeping comcast for the time being. I was also plesantly surprised with Comcast, especially their on demand

Right now I am quite confused what I will finally do, but will keep dish and comcast for the time being

Well, things have improved since I started this tthread.

I am learning to speed shift the remote now that I understand its quirks.

The most important thngs I have learned are (1) instant access to music channels using the Enter button (2) program guide begins with current channel only when you are using the guide to chose channels, not when using up/down scroll butons, or the Favorites button to change channels.

As my tv has 2 hd inputs, I am able to keep Comcast on one and Dish HD/BEV (each going into auto switchbox) on the other.

My biggest gripe remains the single Favorites guide, but overall, picture quality is great and ease of use has improved.

I'm keeping Comcast, especially since I can subscribe to just the 15 HD channels on Dish for another $20.

Shelly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts