Comcast signed deal with Starz Encore

Bulldog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
With this signage Comcast will be able to obtain 325 movies a month to expand its video on demand library. It is doing this to persuade existing subscribers not to switch to a rival satellite service. Comcast stated that giving video away to subscribers is the best way to build loyalty.

Comcast stated that customers used video on demand 103 million times in May.

Folks competition is going to get real hot! :)

So, are they adding Encore On Demand? Or are they just going to lump the movies into the current "free" On Demand channel (1 or 199)?

-John

I moved from Dish Network to Comcast for this very reason, Comcast cares about keeping existing customers while Dish could give a rats ass. They refuse to give existing customers any upgrads of any kind, only new customers get the latest and greatest.

I loved everything about Dish accept for that, after buying an HD TV I would have had to pay over $700 for a receiver that gave me the same capabilities as my 522 (non HD) had. There is no lease plan for existing subscribers, now you see why they lock you into a contract.

Good for Comcast for making this move and reaching out to existing subscribers, even if it's to keep us from moving to the competition it's a good business decision.

Bulldog said:
With this signage Comcast will be able to obtain 325 movies a month to expand its video on demand library. It is doing this to persuade existing subscribers not to switch to a rival satellite service. Comcast stated that giving video away to subscribers is the best way to build loyalty.

Comcast stated that customers used video on demand 103 million times in May.

Folks competition is going to get real hot! :)

Does the deal include movies in HD from Starz?

I don't know at this time I'll call Comcast and maybe they can answer that question. The the main thing is the expansive movie list and it's keeps growing and growing.

Sean Mota said:

I think they're only referring to Encore, which is not HD. Comcast already has Starz on demand. All of the "free" or "included with premium channel" on demand's are just SD. They do have HD On Demand, but its $6 per movie. And the HD OD movie selection is very very limited (maybe 5 movies -- most are IMAX films).

-John

Well, based on the CNN article http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/28/technology/comcast_starz.reut/ :

Current Starz and Encore subscribers will be able to watch 325 or 250 on-demand movies a month, respectively, and up to 1,500 movies per year at no additional monthly cost, Comcast said.

Well, we already have Starz on demand, so it sounds like they are going to just add Encore On Demand for subscribers with Digital Plus (the package required to get the full digital channels -- including the 10 Encore channels).

-John

jgantert said:
Well, based on the CNN article http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/28/technology/comcast_starz.reut/ :

Current Starz and Encore subscribers will be able to watch 325 or 250 on-demand movies a month, respectively, and up to 1,500 movies per year at no additional monthly cost, Comcast said.

Well, we already have Starz on demand, so it sounds like they are going to just add Encore On Demand for subscribers with Digital Plus (the package required to get the full digital channels -- including the 10 Encore channels).

-John

Well, one of the main points is the understanding of the competition for customers. This is what is needed! Statements such as:

1. Comcast and the cable industry face an unprecedented attack from satellite TV and phone companies seeking to lure customers this year.

2. "We see this as a tipping point in our overall video strategy.

3. The cable industry is hoping that creating features unavailable from competing services, such as the ability to order movies at the click of a button, will help differentiate their service.

There is nothing better than these companies fighting for my business.

Back then the cable industry had a attitude of take it or use your rabbit ears; and then came the satellite industry and gave the cables company a kick in the butt. So now cable is fighting back. I am not a fan of any of them, I just want the best bang for my buck. :yes

Bulldog said:
Well, one of the main points is the understanding of the competition for customers. This is what is needed! Statements such as:

1. Comcast and the cable industry face an unprecedented attack from satellite TV and phone companies seeking to lure customers this year.

2. "We see this as a tipping point in our overall video strategy.

3. The cable industry is hoping that creating features unavailable from competing services, such as the ability to order movies at the click of a button, will help differentiate their service.

Back then the cable industry had a attitude of take it or use your rabbit ears; and then came the satellite industry and gave the cables company a kick in the butt. So now cable is fighting back. I am not a fan of any of them, I just want the best bang for my buck. :yes

Excellent point, I couldn't agree more.

Sean Mota said:

What HD movies from StarzHD, worthless channel.

Bulldog said:

Yup, all good. :) I just wish the Comcast DVR didn't suck so bad. Maybe next year with the TiVo upgrade.

I'm still not a fan of On Demand, tho. It's ok, I guess. But with the DVRs, its not really that useful. Plus, I'm an HD-snob now and OD is mostly all SD.

-John

Encore On Demand is now appearing on my menu and has many movies behind. Even though I subscribe to Encore it is displaying a message that I have to subscribe to it!!!
Hopefully this is just a temporary glitch.

Wow, finally got Encore On Demand here as well. So, it took from the end of June when the agreement was signed, to middle of October before we actually see the channel. Man thats fast. :)

-John

Here in Chattanooga we still don't have VOD of any kind yet, Comcast keeps promising it next whenever, but then when next whenever comes it is next next whenever again. Once when I asked why other Comcast communities around the country have had VOD for a long time, I was told that other areas were having problems with their VOD and we would get it untill all the bugs were worked out, yeah wright! If I could get line of sight for E* here at my current house, I would keep Comcast for Internet and Limited Basic cable tv, but go back to E* for the bulk of my TV viewing. The one good thing I like about Comcast for TV is that since I have 2 digital box's I can upgrade 1 to a DVR for only $3/mo more, which I am doing latter this week, so mabye having VOD or not will not be such a big deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)