Comcast Sports Net HD in Chicago

wam161

Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
I just called Dish Network up because I was interested in upgrading to HD. Being from the Chicago area, I'm a big Cubs fan and was looking forward to watching the Cubs in HD over the summer. It appears that if I stick with Dish my dreams won't come true. I was alarmed to find that they do not offer Comcast Sports Net in HD, nor do they offer WGN in HD.. I'd say that maybe one or two games gets broadcast on FOX or ESPN during the year. That appeared to be the only chance I would get to see the Cubs in HD.

I would like to know if anyone knows whether or not Dish plans to offer Comcast Sports NET in HD or WGN in HD. Hopefully in the near future.. It's too bad, because I was looking forward to having the 622 vip. Now it looks like I may have to start shopping Comcast. Unfortunately, the customer service guy couldn't give me any details on if they were even pursuing those channels. Real bummer.

Yes it is. wam161, are you in the Chicagoland area now?

Yes I am... I live approximately forty miles west of Chicago. I was told by a Dish customer service guy over the phone that Comcast Sport Net is only available in SD. Same with WGN.

In regards to the other replies in the thread, I would definately hope Dish intends to roll out the RSN in HD in order to stay competitive. Not doing so doesn't seem to keep in line with the "better television for all" concept they're pushing.

I'm in the same boat... Comcast Sports Net and WGN would be VERY nice... or else it's time to switch when my contract is up.

wam161, if you are serious about going to Comcast, when you call to order ask if they have any deals for folks that want to dump satellite. At times they'll give you a monthly credit, when I tried it I think it was like $25/month for 20 months or something like that. They say they want the receivers but just tell them they are leased and need to be returned, they might make you sign something to that effect aand give them a copy of your bill. Good luck.

I wish they'd clean up my SD RSN if they aren't going to put up the HD version.

CSN-MA is the worst looking service on my dish. The games are so fuzzy that I have to go to PIP on my set to make it watchable.

I too am sick they do not offer Concast HD in chicago. This is the ONLY way to see games in HD from the UC. I get the cubs games OTA.

Well, If they do roll the RSN out some time in 2007, I might stick Dish. Right now this is about the only gripe I have with them. It's a big gripe though, and it's the first time I seriously considered dumping them for cable.

I wish they'd clean up my SD RSN if they aren't going to put up the HD version.

CSN-MA is the worst looking service on my dish. The games are so fuzzy that I have to go to PIP on my set to make it watchable.

They make SD fuzzy so more people buy HD sets, it's a conspiracy.

im 49 miles south of chicago and I get wgn here very reliably on channel 19 via OTA. Your also going to want channel 27 wich is the digital version of WCIU wich also carrys sox and cubs games in HD wich, If im right its not carried by D* nore Comcast. I also get that station in reliably with an ota antenna but at a lower signal than others because im in one of those weird areas where Champaigns sd locals likes to interfear from time to time. I do think CCSN HD Will launch this summer in time for us to crown new world champions again.. And let that be the SOX! Cough Cough.. LOL :) So I think dish will be the best way to go for all of your sox, scrubs and bulls and blackhawks, and bears coverage :)

im 49 miles south of chicago and I get wgn here very reliably on channel 19 via OTA. Your also going to want channel 27 wich is the digital version of WCIU wich also carrys sox and cubs games in HD wich, If im right its not carried by D* nore Comcast. I also get that station in reliably with an ota antenna but at a lower signal than others because im in one of those weird areas where Champaigns sd locals likes to interfear from time to time. I do think CCSN HD Will launch this summer in time for us to crown new world champions again.. And let that be the SOX! Cough Cough.. LOL :) So I think dish will be the best way to go for all of your sox, scrubs and bulls and blackhawks, and bears coverage :)

I'm in crown point, IN and I get WGN OTA with just a set of rabbit ears. Most of the cubs and white sux games on that channel, however, last season where in 4:3 instead of 16:9.

I'm in crown point, IN and I get WGN OTA with just a set of rabbit ears. Most of the cubs and white sux games on that channel, however, last season where in 4:3 instead of 16:9.
If it's a home game and on WGN-DT then it's in HD and 16x9, there must be something a miss on your end.

I'm normally one to read and not post, as this is my first post... Anyways, I'm 53 miles west of Chicago and an E* subscriber with the HD pack. Even if E* added CSN, they would still be short WGN and WCIU in HD. As a Sox fan, WCIU is probably a little more important to me than it would be to a Cubs fan based on the past few seasons' broadcast schedules. I think it's safe to assume if E* adds anymore HD in Chicago, WGN and CSN will come long before the "U." As a result, I've been thinking about getting an antenna of some sort to take care of the WGN and WCIU portion of games.

For those of you using OTA, what brands/type/models/etc are you all using, and how well does it work for each of you? Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but my receiver is a 211.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)