Comcast to Dish Network?

Plumcrazy10

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
10,000 Lakes
I'll try and keep this short. I have always been a cable customer and never had satellite service. I am looking to switch from Comcast and I am a little concerned about some things.
Let me start by saying I have a two story house with 7 tv's currently. Only 4 are used regularly. Here's my layout:

HDTV on main floor living room
HDTV on basement living room
TV in bedroom 1
TV in bedroom 2
TV in sewing room
TV in bathroom 1
TV in garage

The last three tv's are used rarely. My house is 5 yrs old and was wired with RG-6 Quad shield coax that terminate in the basement utility room.

My questions:
1) Can I get my first 4 tv's hooked up with the 4 room plan and are there limits to the length of coax that can be used? I would like to have the main feed come into the house through the existing coax line and then goto each room as needed.

2) Can my receiver(s) sit in my basement utility room and connect to each coax run for the appropriate tv and still have the remotes work in their room?

Hope this is not to confusing...

In regards to the length of coax, I have been able to run some longs runs with Dish. 150ft with no issues.

In regards to hooking up your TVs, you could have Dish on all of them if you wanted. It just depends on the receiver, Dishes/LNBs you have. If you want a TV to just have a the same feed as another TV, just run a cable from a splitter by that TV, or from the receiver itself.

If you had 2 dual tuner receivers, with the LNBs to support them, then you could have 4 different channels on at once on different TVs.

Dish also has UHF remote controls. So if you have a TV in the basement that just comes off a splitter, you could still change the channel on it using the UHF remote control. It would also change the channel on the other TV it was connected to.

Thanks for the reply. Great to know about the coax lengths. I should be well within 150ft on any run.

So here is what I am pricing out online and this is what Dish says I need for receivers...

HD DuoDVR Receiver
Included
HD Duo Receiver
Included

Can I place these receivers in my basement utility room where my line into the house come to and all my coax runs for my house also come to? That way I could connect the appropriate tv to the appropriate receiver and then split off any secondary tvs there also?

You will not be able to place the receivers in your basement utility room. In order to get an HD picture the tv needs to be connected to the receiver via HDMI or component. Also you will need a separate coax from the dish to each receiver.
You will be able to connect the TV2 output from each receiver to you home distribution system and send the signal to the other tvs.

SO let me ask one last question. If I have the HD dual receiver at my HDTV, how do you hook up TV2 which in my case would be a standard TV upstairs in my bedroom? Does TV2 physically get connected to the receiver?

SO let me ask one last question. If I have the HD dual receiver at my HDTV, how do you hook up TV2 which in my case would be a standard TV upstairs in my bedroom? Does TV2 physically get connected to the receiver?

For TV2 a coax will be used and you will watch SD not HD. Another thing is that if you want HD programming, most configurations require 3 satellite locations so you will need 3 coax cables from the Dish to a switch (for multiple receivers).

For TV2 a coax will be used and you will watch SD not HD. Another thing is that if you want HD programming, most configurations require 3 satellite locations so you will need 3 coax cables from the Dish to a switch (for multiple receivers).

3 COAX CABLES NOW????? MY GOD, could I be anymore confused??????

I think you are confusing the OP. Only one line from switch to each receiver. And N/A if he can get a 1000.* Dish, pending location and LOS he probably will.

OP is confused!

From my FUTURE Dish on my roof, how many coax lines do I need into the house?

In the house, how many receivers do I need for 2 HDTV's and 2 Standard TV's?

My house, two stories, three levels.

TV 1 = HD located in main floor living room
TV 2 = Standard located in bedroom upstairs
TV 3 = HD located in living room basment
TV 4 = Standard located in bedroom upstairs

Currently outside coax used by Comcast runs into basement utility room. Each room in house has two coax line that also run to basement utility room. All coax is RG6 Quad shield if that matters.

Will this work? :D:confused:

I thought everyone confused you.
You will need two lines from the dish into the house.
You will need two duo receivers.
Each receiver will run one HD tv and one SD tv with independent viewing on each tv.
HD tv will be connected to receiver with either HDMI or component.
SD tv will be connected to receiver with coax.

Hope this simplified everything for you.

KAB is right, sorry for the confusion. For 4 TVs (2 HDTVs and 2 SDTVs), you'll need two dual tuner receivers. Each receiver just needs one cable run from the dish or from the switch. If it's just two receivers, then two coax cables from the dish to your utility room and one cable from there to the each receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts