Come on Dish Anywhere, get Roku support!

I have Roku sticks on my two tvs that have DISH satellite receivers . On my two other secondary tvs I have Amazon Fire tv sticks. I can watch on my Fire Tv sticks dish anywhere app. On all of my devices I have the TABLO app for ota and I can see my ota recordings on all tvs .

Reactions: charlesrshell
My understanding is that The Roku does not support the steaming protocol that Dish Anywhere uses.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

It also doesn't support the codecs used by HD Homerun. Otherwise I like Rokus. They are just somewhat neutered by not having the ability to do DA and HD Homerun

I think the incompatibility = Roku OS. Interesting, HDhomerun, too.

I really do believe that within 5 years Roku won't be anything like it is today, meaning it will be a declining product. It has already begun because so many of the companies, large and small, who have to develop these apps are desperate to cut their costs of development, and that means focusing on Android and iOS and forgetting about Roku OS, and I don't think there's a mobile Roku OS out there like they are Android and iOS mobile devices. I really think that the connected devices of the future are going to be Amazon,which uses forked Android; Apple; and Android OS connected devices. As a former Roku lover, I have moved on to Fire TV because it supports all the apps that I want to use or care about possibly using, while Roku does not. Further, I have found Amazon's top level Fire TV products (not the anemic Sticks) to be far more robust in performance, reliability, and features then Roku's, and I can watch YouTube all I want and easily using Fire TVs work around using the Silk or Firefox browser: the experience to me is is the same as when Fire TV used the YouTube app.

Sure for the time being some companies have no choice but to develop for Roku OS, But as time passes the economics are going to take their toll on Roku. This is why Roku is doing everything that can to make its product seem more appealing such as adding volume control Etc, but the competition does that too, and that brings us back to the economics in the long run. It's much less expensive to have to develop for two 0S's rather than three, especially if using components that are already supported by iOS or Android, provide lower "off the shelf" costs, but require even more expensive development costs for the apps to function on Roku OS. In economics compatibility always wins. if you're the odd bird, you are out.

Buh-bye Roku. We hardly knew ye, and good riddance because I don't need those tons of junk apps that populate the Roku universe :)

Why? The Fire Stick is actually a very nice device
Why?
\StartRant

Because of Amazon and its predatory practices with attempting to lock you into their ecosystem, see the Kindle and the proprietary nature of the format they use for books. You still cannot download and read the Amazon e-books on other manufacturers e-books. The FireTV bastardizes Android just enough to make it so that FireTV apps may or may not work on other Android devices, luckily enough the FireTV DA app works on other AndroidTV devices.

I avoid the Apple ecosystem for the same reasons, admittedly Apple has abandoned the proprietary encryption on I-tunes audio downloads but only because they lost the war.

\EndRant

Reactions: pattykay
I think the incompatibility = Roku OS. Interesting, HDhomerun, too.

I really do believe that within 5 years Roku won't be anything like it is today, meaning it will be a declining product. It has already begun because so many of the companies, large and small, who have to develop these apps are desperate to cut their costs of development, and that means focusing on Android and iOS and forgetting about Roku OS, and I don't think there's a mobile Roku OS out there like they are Android and iOS mobile devices. I really think that the connected devices of the future are going to be Amazon,which uses forked Android; Apple; and Android OS connected devices. As a former Roku lover, I have moved on to Fire TV because it supports all the apps that I want to use or care about possibly using, while Roku does not. Further, I have found Amazon's top level Fire TV products (not the anemic Sticks) to be far more robust in performance, reliability, and features then Roku's, and I can watch YouTube all I want and easily using Fire TVs work around using the Silk or Firefox browser: the experience to me is is the same as when Fire TV used the YouTube app.

Sure for the time being some companies have no choice but to develop for Roku OS, But as time passes the economics are going to take their toll on Roku. This is why Roku is doing everything that can to make its product seem more appealing such as adding volume control Etc, but the competition does that too, and that brings us back to the economics in the long run. It's much less expensive to have to develop for two 0S's rather than three, especially if using components that are already supported by iOS or Android, provide lower "off the shelf" costs, but require even more expensive development costs for the apps to function on Roku OS. In economics compatibility always wins. if you're the odd bird, you are out.

Buh-bye Roku. We hardly knew ye, and good riddance because I don't need those tons of junk apps that populate the Roku universe :)
Roku should have been gone long ago...but much like VHS tapes...they have market share

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Why?
\StartRant

Because of Amazon and its predatory practices with attempting to lock you into their ecosystem, see the Kindle and the proprietary nature of the format they use for books. You still cannot download and read the Amazon e-books on other manufacturers e-books. The FireTV bastardizes Android just enough to make it so that FireTV apps may or may not work on other Android devices, luckily enough the FireTV DA app works on other AndroidTV devices.

I avoid the Apple ecosystem for the same reasons, admittedly Apple has abandoned the proprietary encryption on I-tunes audio downloads but only because they lost the war.

\EndRant
I find this rant almost humorous. I read my Kindle books on my iPad daily.....

I find this rant almost humorous. I read my Kindle books on my iPad daily.....
Using an app developed, controlled and provided by Amazon. An iPad IS NOT and e-book with e-ink.

It would be simple for Amazon to provide a royalty-free license or even open source the Kindle e-book format but they refuse to allow other e-books with e-ink displays to use the Kindle format.

I initially bought a Fire Stick just for Dish Anywhere and to save myself an additional receiver fee, but since then I have to admit I'm sold on it. I can also stream my locals with it by using the HD Homerun app. I think the UI is a bit "busy," cluttered up with stuff I don't need, but it's manageable. I find the response time to be quite speedy, and it fits nicely into my luggage when I travel. I would not return to the Roku unless it adds DA and HD Homerun support. According to the engineers at Silicondust, they've been told by Roku to "stop asking," so I don't see this ever happening. I just bought an additional Fire Stick for my daughter's bedroom TV and she loves it.

PS- there are ways of getting around Amazon's lockdown on apps they don't like (Youtube and Youtube TV). I have a fully functional Youtube app on both of my sticks.

PS- there are ways of getting around Amazon's lockdown on apps they don't like (Youtube and Youtube TV). I have a fully functional Youtube app on both of my sticks.
Yes there are ways to get around them but I prefer to not deal with Amazon at all. The DA app works fine on my Sony AndroidTV and where I live external access to my Hopper3 isn't really feasible, 1mb max up.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes there are ways to get around them but I prefer to not deal with Amazon at all. The DA app works fine on my Sony AndroidTV and where I live external access to my Hopper3 isn't really feasible, 1mb max up.

Not to sound like a fanboy, but my family loves Amazon's products. We have an Echo Dot, 2 Fire Sticks, Prime Video. BUT we also use Apple stuff too. I don't feel constricted by any one company's ecosystem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)