Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
What's the deal with Comedy Central on Dish? They have the channel stretched vertically, cutting off the top and bottom of the image. All I can guess is either:
  1. Dish and Viacom are fighting and Comedy Central is running a crawl along the top/bottom of the screen saying how horrible Dish is for not paying the high price for Comedy Central, or
  2. Someone bumped the Format button on the Comedy Central channel decoder and no one noticed.
Has anyone else seen this on Comedy Central?

Edit: Of course, the commercials that the Hopper inserts are perfectly fine!

What's the deal with Comedy Central on Dish? They have the channel stretched vertically, cutting off the top and bottom of the image. All I can guess is either:
  1. Dish and Viacom are fighting and Comedy Central is running a crawl along the top/bottom of the screen saying how horrible Dish is for not paying the high price for Comedy Central, or
  2. Someone bumped the Format button on the Comedy Central channel decoder and no one noticed.
Has anyone else seen this on Comedy Central?

Edit: Of course, the commercials that the Hopper inserts are perfectly fine!

Yep. Noticed it this morning. Slightly annoying.

DishAnywhere doesn't seem to like the stretched video either. The image on the left was the live video, while the image on the right was frozen. The split screen was not part of the episode.

Attachments

• dish.png
    dish.png
    95.7 KB · Views: 166
Yeah, I should have mentioned that I'm on EA. I've also got the Hopper 3 with a 4K Joey. I went though a bunch of other HD channels and they are fine.

Of course, now the snow fade has wiped out my signal...

FWIW: I notified Dish via Facebook. They replied that they had had numerous reports of the issue, but were unaware that WA customers were not affected.

I have both dishes, and I can confirm what everyone else is seeing here. My Eastern Arc dish is connected to a ViP222k. I am watching the TV2 output connected to an analog 4x3 TV, and it definitely looks like the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen (which is normal for a 16x9 HD channel on the 4x3 screen) are covering up part of the picture. So, it is being stretched vertically to fill a 4x3 screen, but only the 16x9 center-cut is being broadcast. I switched inputs to watch it on a Wally connected to my Western Arc dish, and the entire 16x9 picture fits in the letterbox on the 4x3 screen without cropping anything.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I first noticed the stretch last night during “The Daily Show with Trevor Noah” but figured someone would have said something before the morning. I probably should have called/chatted with a Dish CSR last night, but I was too tired to go through the whole “Have you unplugged your receiver and plugged it back in?” script...

“Have you unplugged your receiver and plugged it back in?” script...

Ha! So true. Try calling Netflix support sometime. I had to call them Sunday. The woman actually told me to push and hold the power button on my TV for 10 seconds "to release any pent-up energy stored in there." :oldlaugh I have no idea what turning off my non-smart TV would have to do with Netflix.

I first noticed the stretch last night during “The Daily Show with Trevor Noah” but figured someone would have said something before the morning. I probably should have called/chatted with a Dish CSR last night, but I was too tired to go through the whole “Have you unplugged your receiver and plugged it back in?” script...

So we have you to blame for this. :p

Reactions: Foxbat
Looks to be fixed now on the Eastern Arc.
As already reported yesterday in post number 12. ;)

So we have you to blame for this. :p
I would like to take the credit for getting this fixed, since it was fixed shortly after I described what I was seeing (in post number 11) but the timing was probably just a coincidence. :)

Reactions: Foxbat and Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)