Comedy Central not broadcasting in 5.1 or 2.0 lately..?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Stormy_2021

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 1, 2014
Sealab
Hey all...

I have my VIP 222 hooked up to my Pioneer Receiver using an optical audio connection... been this way for years...

My Pioneer shows, on it's display, which audio channels are being used when it is receiving a dolby digital audio signal...

For the past week or so, I've noticed that Comedy Central is being broadcast utilizing only the center channel of the dolby digital signal...

Comedy Central is the only HD channel, I've noticed, that is being broadcast this way...

The only time the Comedy Central audio signal switches to multiple channels is when Dish is injecting it's own commercials...

I've checked and rechecked all connections, switching out cables and the like, with no change...

Is anyone with a similar setup noticing this, or is it just me..?

If anyone needs a better explanation of what's happening, let me know...

Edit: added thumbnail pics of my Pioneer Receiver's display...

USA HD, 5.1 Channels (CH. 105)
IMG_20160917_214327_kindlephoto-706342682.jpg

Comedy Central HD, Center Channel only (CH. 107)
IMG_20160917_214337_kindlephoto-706437475.jpg

Last edited:
I just tried it. My Denon AVR is seeing a stereo signal via HDMI. I don't think Dish does anything with the signal from their channel providers but pass it along. My bet is Comedy Central isn't providing a Dolby Digital signal at this time.

My bet is Comedy Central isn't providing a Dolby Digital signal at this time.

Thanks for checking, Bobby...

Were you viewing a commercial or the "Gabriel Iglesias" comedy special..?

CC is definitely outputting a DD signal, when using an optical cable connection from the Dish receiver, as you can see from the pics I added to my original post....

Your Denon may be receiving a 2 channel PCM signal, depending on what it is receiving it's audio signal from...

I have mine set up the following way:

Dish Receiver HDMI out to TV.
Dish Receiver Optical audio out to Pioneer Receiver.

I was watching Gabriel. I am set up from Hopper 3 to the Denon via HDMI. I have HDMI from the Denon to my Sharp. The Denon is set to automatically convert any mono or stereo signal from the Hopper to DTS Neo 6. That is what I am seeing. It will also automatically pass through DD signals as DD no matter if it is 1.0 through 5.1 and the Denon will show DD. So yes, I think Comedy Central is passing a PCM signal during their programming.

Edit, I just watched it go to commercial, the first one showed DTS Neo, the second went to DD, the third back to DTS. CC is mixing their signals...

Hey Stormy. I noticed a change a few weeks ago. Instead of just the center channel, front left and front right light up for Comedy Central now as well (but not rear right and rear left). However, no sound actually comes from front right and front left, so the problem still exists.

¯\_(?)_/¯

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)