Coming back to Directv ???'s

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mhutsell3

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
Noblesville, IN
Ok I have decided to make the move back to Directv. What style of dish are they likely to install? Will they install the new dish that does not require 4 cables to be run for 2 receivers? I ask because I am thinking of going with two DVR HD receivers. I have 2 Coax connections to each TV location and 4 cables into the attic but I have one of those being used for a High Def OTA Antenna.

I had heard that there was a new technology they came out with that basically put a multi switch inside the home and only required two connections to the dish, just trying to plan as I really dont want to lose my OTA channels since I can get the True HD Signals with all of the streams that Cable and Satellite do not allow me to receive.

I appreciate all you guys help. Thanks in advance.

You are referring to the Slimline dish with SWM LNB. One coax to each DVR box instead of 2. "Most" new installs in "most" areas use this hardware now - especially if it is a major PITA for the installer to run new lines.

Your area might or might not have enough of these in the local warehouse. Make sure it is a major PITA not to go that way and your installer will find one.

More to the point, SWiM technology is one cable from the dish to a central splitter and one cable from the splitter to each HD DVR. Note that the SWiM LNB does not provide for older receivers and it has a hard ceiling of 8 tuners.

SWiMline (Slimline dish w/SWiM LNB) installs do not (and cannot) involve an external multiswitch of any kind. Just a splitter and a power inserter.

Note also that the HD DVRs typically do not include OTA tuners anymore so you'll probably want to negotiate for one or more AM21 OTA tuner boxes after you're up and running.

Note also that the HD DVRs typically do not include OTA tuners anymore so you'll probably want to negotiate for one or more AM21 OTA tuner boxes after you're up and running.

I actually already have the OTA part covered because both TV's have built in HD receivers. :)

You could also buy a SWM LNB off ebay, Solid Signal, or Sadoun, and have it there when the installer arrives. They are cheap....That way if he doesn't have one, he will surely put it on for you with a little green convincing....

No that is what the High Def Series 3 Tivo is for.
As long as you have a long-term TiVo subscription this might be okay, but when it runs out, you'll probably not want to renew if a few months subscription will buy you an OTA tuner for your DIRECTV receiver.

:)
As long as you have a long-term TiVo subscription this might be okay, but when it runs out, you'll probably not want to renew if a few months subscription will buy you an OTA tuner for your DIRECTV receiver.

I bought when you could transfer the series II lifetime to the Series III when they first came out. I had found the series three on eBay when someone had gotten it and found out that it would not work with their satellite receivers. Unfortunately he couldnt sell it for the full price due to the offers that TIVO was offering at the time so I bought it and transferred my lifetime to it. So I actually have no monthly fee to pay for the service, its free at this point. :)

The installer that came out today didn't have the right equipment and he explained why. When I talked to Direct I told them I need install for at least 8 receivers and maybe more but I only got 5 receivers from them and I purchased the additional ones on line (new). But they forgot to tell the installer that I needed setup for 8 and I guess DVR's are considered 2 per, and I have 2 DVR's.....so my question is should I look to also get an OTA antenna? Are they big and stick out and is it worth getting? Does the signal go a lot with Direct? Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts