Coming soon: laptops with fingerprint sensors built into the touchpad

Works ok if you have clean undamaged hands, but I work with my hands and they often have nicks, scrapes and burns, let alone the dirt issues. Imagine an inadvertent paper cut and you are locked out of your computer until it heals properly.

Umm... is this really new? My roommate in college had a finger print scanner built into his laptop and that was 6 or 7 years ago.

Still, fingerprints can be copied too easily.

We had a fingerprint laptop years ago at work. It worked so poorly we deactivated the feature. Maybe it's better now. But not really secure.

The hardware/software used in the iPhone for fingerprints works surprisingly well in my experience. But, as Magic Static points out, any damage on your fingerprint and you are out of luck. I have a few scrapes on the finger I had been using and it hasn't worked for a couple weeks now. Had to switch to my thumb. Fortunately entering the four digit code still works as a backup.

Still, fingerprints can be copied too easily.

We had a fingerprint laptop years ago at work. It worked so poorly we deactivated the feature. Maybe it's better now. But not really secure.

Yes they can be copied, but only if you have access to the person. If your laptop is stolen they will not be able to log it in. It is not meant to keep spies at bay, but keep company confidential data confidential if the laptop is lost.

I read recently that they can now easily lift your fingerprints, perhaps from that very laptop, and copy them.

But really- how much trouble is a casual thief going to go to?

And, don't forget, your fingerprints are NOT protected under your Fifth Amendment Rights like a passcode would be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts