Command-line blindscan using Edision Mio 4K+ and TNAP

electricleisure

Original poster
Apr 3, 2021
USA
Hi everyone,

I'm writing this to see if anyone has had any luck running a command-line blindscan using an Edision Mio 4K+ with TNAP (or any other Enigma2 image).

The receiver is working great, and I'm able to blindscan successfully via the GUI. I'm looking for a way to do the same via the command line, so that I can write a script that automatically scans for active transponders (and their programs) and notifies me when a new program is found.

I started a blindscan via the GUI, and then monitored the system processes to see if I could just call whichever executable that the GUI is calling. I found this (along with its horizontal polarization equivalent):

Code:
blindscan --start=950 --stop=1580 --min=1 --max=60 --slot=0 --i2c=2 --vertical

However, when I run this command from the terminal, I get no output. The arguments make sense - my LNB has an LO of 10750 MHz, and I want to scan from 11.7 to 12.2 GHz, so applying the offset gives a range of 950 MHz to 1580 MHz. The rest of the arguments, which set the symbol rate, adapter, and polarization seem correct.

Do you guys have any ideas for why this isn't working? I'm wondering if maybe some environment variables are being set when blindscan is invoked from the GUI, which I'm not setting when I run it manually. I would appreciate any ideas (or pointers to source code :) ).

Thanks in advance!

IIRC there is already a "background blind scan" option in the GUI, but I don't recall if it notifies on new channels. I don't use command line with mine, so I can't assist there unfortunately.

Also- is your dish fixed? If not, you'd also need to write a command to move the motor, I'd assume.

IIRC there is already a "background blind scan" option in the GUI, but I don't recall if it notifies on new channels. I don't use command line with mine, so I can't assist there unfortunately.

Also- is your dish fixed? If not, you'd also need to write a command to move the motor, I'd assume.

Thanks, I will take a look at that GUI option!

My dish is motorized, so you're right that I would also have to find a way to set the dish position. Taking a look at your signature, we actually have a very similar setup - 90cm dish with STAB HH90. Initially, I would plan to park the dish at one location, to avoid burning out the motor from constantly moving it. In the future, I'd like to setup multiple fixed dishes with DiSEqC switches, so that I could scan multiple satellites frequently without worrying about burning up the motor.

Thanks, I will take a look at that GUI option!

My dish is motorized, so you're right that I would also have to find a way to set the dish position. Taking a look at your signature, we actually have a very similar setup - 90cm dish with STAB HH90. Initially, I would plan to park the dish at one location, to avoid burning out the motor from constantly moving it. In the future, I'd like to setup multiple fixed dishes with DiSEqC switches, so that I could scan multiple satellites frequently without worrying about burning up the motor.

I used to have 5 stationary dishes like you're proposing. Honestly I prefer the motor now; the Stab motors are very durable and hold up under most weather (except extreme cold as I found out recently).

Hi everyone,

I'm writing this to see if anyone has had any luck running a command-line blindscan using an Edision Mio 4K+ with TNAP (or any other Enigma2 image).

The receiver is working great, and I'm able to blindscan successfully via the GUI. I'm looking for a way to do the same via the command line, so that I can write a script that automatically scans for active transponders (and their programs) and notifies me when a new program is found.

I started a blindscan via the GUI, and then monitored the system processes to see if I could just call whichever executable that the GUI is calling. I found this (along with its horizontal polarization equivalent):

Code:
blindscan --start=950 --stop=1580 --min=1 --max=60 --slot=0 --i2c=2 --vertical

However, when I run this command from the terminal, I get no output. The arguments make sense - my LNB has an LO of 10750 MHz, and I want to scan from 11.7 to 12.2 GHz, so applying the offset gives a range of 950 MHz to 1580 MHz. The rest of the arguments, which set the symbol rate, adapter, and polarization seem correct.

Do you guys have any ideas for why this isn't working? I'm wondering if maybe some environment variables are being set when blindscan is invoked from the GUI, which I'm not setting when I run it manually. I would appreciate any ideas (or pointers to source code :) ).

Thanks in advance!
Copy-paste this exact post over at the Legitfta forum that's home for TNAP. That's where the engineer lives, His name is El Bandido: The North American Project E2 Image Discussions.

IF you aren't a member there, you'll have to sign up and wait a bit to be approved. If EB can't answer you, likely nobody can.

I used to have 5 stationary dishes like you're proposing. Honestly I prefer the motor now; the Stab motors are very durable and hold up under most weather (except extreme cold as I found out recently).

I really like mine too. I set it up last year but have had to do some occasional tinkering to get my dish back on the arc. I was able to get it working "good enough" a few weeks ago, so I'm hoping that will last until it warms up here. :)

Off topic - have you ever noticed the motor going past the location you requested it to, then going back to where it was originally, and then finally to the destination you requested? I've noticed this with my setup - not sure if it's the motor, or something in TNAP.

Copy-paste this exact post over at the Legitfta forum that's home for TNAP. That's where the engineer lives, His name is El Bandido: The North American Project E2 Image Discussions.

IF you aren't a member there, you'll have to sign up and wait a bit to be approved. If EB can't answer you, likely nobody can.

Thanks for the idea. I actually posted this topic there a few days ago, but it is still sitting in the moderation queue because my account is new. :p

Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts