edision mio 4k with Orby service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

terminal.bliss

Original poster
Mar 16, 2020
FL
I have an idea don't know if it will work. I have a edison mio 4k FTA receiver it has a smart card slot for subscription or entitlement services (never used it but it's there).
I ordered the Orby receiver should be here next week. Now i know Orby uses a SIM card. But a smart card and SIM are the same thing just the SIM is smaller. They make caddies and adapters to make a full size SIM work with a smart card reader. So assuming the Edison can read the SIM. Could it be used as the receiver? Or is there another software layer in the Orby box that would prevent that from working? I have one dish on a HH motor so using one receiver would make life easier. Otherwise i would have to use the FTA to aim the dish then switch inputs to use the service.

Another issue with that idea is in the nature of the Edision programming. I found the TNAP doesn't like to share motor control. It expects the dish to be where it left it and will not issue a command to go where it thinks it is already. Easy enough to work around but annoying none the less.

Magic Static Ya i thought of that part at least. Since Orby just needs to be on 117w. I would just use the Edision to drive the dish park it and switch receivers then switch back when i wanted to move to a new sat. I'm in an RV so having more than one dish is not practical.

terminal.bliss using one dish, you could use the Edision to move the dish to 117w with standard dual-port PLL LNBF. Hook the orby receiver up to the second Port on the LNBF. Also, if you want to get fancy with a switch, Orby uses 13v.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Titanium and FTA4PA
EmCommSat The dual port LNBF maybe doable but i would have to run a second line of coax into the RV. I think if i just use a spitter at the ingress before the Edision one leg goes to Orby the other to Edision i should be fine since i won't be using both receivers at once. I think either one of these would do. The ideal one is made for this sort of thing the radio shack should work its in the right range and has the DC pass thru. Half the fun is trying things out and not letting the smoke out ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20200329_142213.jpg
    IMG_20200329_142213.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 297
Reactions: bigg t
I take that back these spitters will not work -_-
I added them in line between the Edision and the dish motor. Made sure the open leg was capped.
Moved the dish from 116.8w to 67w
It went to 0....
then just nothing. Same when i switched out the splitter for radio shack.
So what can i use to split the signal and use the motor? A physical switch? A/B?

One thought, I know others will chime in, you could use one of the Zinwell Direct TV Wb68 Mutiswitch 6x8 out at the dish and a quad port PLL standard LNBF. Connect up the 13v (no 22Khz) for OrbyTV to one port on the LNBF and then use the 13v & 18v 22-KHz tone ports for the Edision FTA also connected to the same LNBF.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I1NUGW

Sent using Tapatalk

I have one of these Quad LNBF and love it.

You could also try driving it with the Edision, then power it off and swap boxes.

Sent using Tapatalk

Capped a port? If a resitive load terminator, that will mess up the signal passing.

No need to get so elaborate with quad LNBFs, multi-switches, swapping coax, etc....

Simply use an all port power passing splitter and be sure the Edision OS Mio is on 116.8w and vertical polarity when watching Orby. That is all.

Titanium I put a terminator cap (see the photo i attached earlier)on the empty end if the splitter since i don't have the Orby receiver yet. I just want to see if the motor would still work with the splitter in place. You are right i did not try it with the cap off, the A/V cabinet for the RV it small so let me get my gear back out and will test. Thanks for the advise.

Yep neither of my splitters work.
Does anyone have a model they prefer?
I think the 2 i have pass power from the outs to the in but that's it. Unless that is what you meant by all port power passing splitter? It did the same thing as before. Say I'm at 103w tell it go to 97w it goes to 0 and just stops.

Work around success! Found this old switch. Just connected it to the Edision and i was able to move the dish and change the switch the Edision loses the signal now will be sure when the Orby arrives later this week. I don't see any clear markings on the Mhz it supports but it allowed me to view a HD station so that's good enough for this test.

Attachments

• IMG_20200329_202114.jpg
    IMG_20200329_202114.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_20200329_202004.jpg
    IMG_20200329_202004.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 311
Reactions: Titanium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)