Commanding actuator causes servo to move.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You don't necessarily need to buy ribbon cable and could instead install two wire group 2+ shield / 3+ shield bundles along with your existing coax run. This would provide the ultimate shielding, but without a proper ground you still may have problems unless shield is grounded only on the ASC1 side.

On a side note: It is a bad idea and potentially dangerous to have a separate unbonded ground. This may create a voltage potential (increased potential for rf noise) and direct voltage to travel through equipment rather than being harmlessly bled off. This isn't for lightning protection, but rather EMF, static and power source protection. You should figure out a way to bond to structure ground.

Did you plumb during new construction for a pool or hot tub? Slab rebar grounded? Metal cold water pipe? Almost better to have no ground on the dish and ground block than to introduce a 2nd ground.

Reactions: KE4EST
There is a thing called security wire. I have seen it used for swipe card sensors and things. It has two wires and a shield. Comes in all different guages and conductors counts. I think I actually saw a roll at Home Depot. May be useful for sensors in this case with separate actuator cable?

I have 1000 feet of this. Its 18 gauge 4 conductor with drain "security wire".
Could this be used for servo and count sensor in the same wire with separate wire for actuator?

wire.jpg

This shielded wire is what I was referring to, but do not put the servo control and the reed sensor inside the same shield. Same issue applies as KE4EST pointed out. Placing the two circuits inside the shield would essentially enclose a receive antenna wrapped around a spark gap generator transmit antenna.

I would make two separate runs.

Reactions: fred555 and FaT Air
14/2 SJOW works fine for motor wire, available at any hardware or electrical supply store.

Reactions: KE4EST
You don't necessarily need to buy ribbon cable and could instead install two wire group 2+ shield / 3+ shield bundles along with your existing coax run. This would provide the ultimate shielding, but without a proper ground you still may have problems unless shield is grounded only on the ASC1 side.

On a side note: It is a bad idea and potentially dangerous to have a separate unbonded ground. This may create a voltage potential (increased potential for rf noise) and direct voltage to travel through equipment rather than being harmlessly bled off. This isn't for lightning protection, but rather EMF, static and power source protection. You should figure out a way to bond to structure ground.

Did you plumb during new construction for a pool or hot tub? Slab rebar grounded? Metal cold water pipe? Almost better to have no ground on the dish and ground block than to introduce a 2nd ground.

I really had no choice on the grounding. The service ground is on the other side of the house. What's funny is the house has TWO service grounds. One with the electricity and the other is behind a wall in the garage. They are NOT bonded together. They did it that way when they laid the post tension slab, and this was where the builder got lazy. No plumbing for a pool or hot tub yet. The builder didn't offer any of those options. We did ask about it as we wanted to lump that in with the mortgage, but because of "liability" they don't do that anymore.

What is going to happen in the future, is we will be plumbing for a pool and hot tub as well as I will be bringing a ground around for my ham radio tower. Once that happens, there will be a place for me to hook into the house ground. I figured that having it on its own grounding system would be better than no grounding.

On Friday, I'm ordering the ribbon cable. To keep everything separated, like Brian suggested I am going to keep the servo shielded separate from the motor cabling shielded and separated. I have a quote from the nice folks at skyvision and will have it shipped.

In my opinion, the two unbonded service grounds in a new home construction is unacceptable and an "accident" waiting to happen.

Maybe a licensed electrician could comment on the two separate unbonded service grounds. I am unsure how this would have passed inspection as it certainly does not meet NEC. Might be time to check with a local licensed electrician or building department then have your builder bring your new home brought up to code under warranty. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts