Comments Needed: DishONLINE Reviews

Sometimes people's greed just makes you puke...
If you can only come up with "greed" out of my post, I don't know how to word things to make them understandable to you....

Do you disagree with my comments ? What you really fail to grasp though is that I'm more or less summarizing what almost everyone else has said. :(

If you can only come up with "greed" out of my post, I don't know how to word things to make them understandable to you....

Do you disagree with my comments ? What you really fail to grasp though is that I'm more or less summarizing what almost everyone else has said. :(

I thought he was referring to E*'s greed on the VOD pricing.

Scott's most recent article leaves him in position for the perfect TITLE for the article based on the reviews in this thread thus far...

"A Plea to Echostar Part II"

Heck...the way things have been lately, "A Plea to Echostar" could just be a weekly column in and of itself! :rolleyes:

Don't know but I don't think so. "people's greed" sounds like it's referring to individuals, not a company.
I was referring to the people at E* that try to squeeze anything for a buck. Apparently D* seems to have the ability to afford to offer stuff for free.
I don't mean to say that I WANT it for free, it was meant more like that for some reason E* thinks it can compete with D*, with an VOD service and mkaes people pay from the get go. That's not competing, that's pointless GREED. They must be very PROUD of their stuff..

Sorry then. I thought you were calling me greedy. I'll admit, I'll take something for free :D On the other hand, I do not expect free stuff. If I get it, great, if not, I'm not out anything.

As you say, D* is apparently offering free stuff with their similar offering and I know cable does too. Funny thing, on HGTV or one of those "help sell your house" or "people buying a house" shows, there was an HGTV ad that said something to the effect of "watch it on VOD".

When I learned that downloading one movie might use up the 7500 mb download limit from WILDBLUE, I saved myself the trouble of running extra network cable to my 622...

I got DISHONline yesterday, looked over the selection and decided that it will be a long time before I can check out this feature. Only thing interesting were three Police Squad movies. Back when OJ was innocent.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I was able to test DishONLINE and DirecTV's new VOD service side by side. And I honestly think that it would be best for Dish Network to halt the rollout of DishONLINE and retool it. Because it is now its going to scare a lot of people from using the service ever again.

Shame on Dish Network for always trying to nickle and dime us.

Give us something that we would want to use again and again, not something will keep us from wanting to ever load it again.

These are my local Time Warner's "On Demand" offerings, all FREE. You do only get the on-demand channel if you get the related 'pay' channel based on what tier or package you subscribe to. For example, if you have tier "1" but "G4 On Demand" is in tier "2", you won't get it.

Local On Demand
Howard TV On Demand
Here TV On Demand
Too Much for TV On Demand
HD Showcase On Demand +
BBC On Demand
A & E On Demand
CNN On Demand
Anime On Demand
G4 On Demand
Court TV On Demand
Golf On Demand
Lifestyle On Demand
Cutting Edge On Demand
Kids Preschool On Demand
Kids On Demand
Entertainment On Demand
Oxygen On Demand
Speed On Demand
GAC On Demand
National Geographic On Demand
TV Guide SPOT On Demand
AOL Music On Demand
TNT On Demand
TBS On Demand
Sportskool On Demand
Exercise TV On Demand
CMT On Demand
Music Choice On Demand Rock/Country
Music Choice On Demand Urban/Latin
Driver TV On Demand
Movie Trailers On Demand
Sports Illustrated On Demand
Journey TV On Demand
EXPO TV On Demand
So, free content is available from the providers. TWC does have "pay" On Demand stuff too, of course.

Sorry then. I thought you were calling me greedy. I'll admit, I'll take something for free :D On the other hand, I do not expect free stuff. If I get it, great, if not, I'm not out anything.

As you say, D* is apparently offering free stuff with their similar offering and I know cable does too. Funny thing, on HGTV or one of those "help sell your house" or "people buying a house" shows, there was an HGTV ad that said something to the effect of "watch it on VOD".

No hall, it had nothing to do with you. I was actually just chiming in there...I am german, and apparently my english is questionable at times..I seem to reverse things involuntary. Living in the States for 7 years, and my english is still not good enough. But I am trying, believe me.

I am NOT somebody that wants everything for free, I just questioned E*'s way of competing with others in that matter. I just think that's the wrong way.

My curiosity got the best of me so I gave DishONLINE a try just becuase I wanted to see how good the quality was. The only thing I was impressed by was the quality of the video downloaded. Even though it was only SD, it was of superior quality when compared to the SD content available from the normal Dishnetwork channels. That is however the only positive element that I have to report. Here are the problems I saw:

1. The selection of movies available is poor.

2. The cost of the old movies is too high... though they are close to that of Cinemanow, which Dish is using.

3. The DishONLINE application is poorly designed and difficult to navigate.

4. My receiver rebooted several times (due to a crash) during my attempts to use the application.

5. Dish needs to add some free content so that their customers can see the quality of the downloads before paying for one.

6. Without some free content Dish will most likely find this application to be a failure. Dish needs to focus on using this application as a tool to use against their competition rather than relying on it to generate revenue.

5. Dish needs to add some free content so that their customers can see the quality of the downloads before paying for one.

6. Without some free content Dish will most likely find this application to be a failure. Dish needs to focus on using this application as a tool to use against their competition rather than relying on it to generate revenue.

I don' t currently have the new firmware on my 622, but reading these reviews and all the reboots and problems with the 446 firmware, makes me think Dish doesn't want to offer free previews of stuff, because DishONline is not yet ready for primetime. If they had free stuff on the download then a ton of people would be accessing it, especially at first, and probably crash their server. Hopefully, Dish is reading these review and are aware of these problems and fix the problems first and then begin rolling out free previews like every other Cable/Satellite company offers. I used to have Comcast and Time Warner, and they had a ton of free shows an movies that I could watch. I think I remember reading or hearing from Scott that DirecTV has a similar service, but is much much better and contains lots of free stuff to view.

I got DishONLINE set up yesterday and was sad to see no free content. Also, the movies are WAY overpriced.

Anyway, I ordered a movie for me and my son to watch just to see how it works (Monkey Trouble) and it downloaded fine in less than 2 hours. It played fine as well. The PQ and sound quality was much better than I expected. The whole movie downloaded from beginning to end without a problem and it played fine with no hiccups. But unless they lower the price to 1.99 for old movies and maybe 3.99 for new movies (and add free content), I won't use it much at all (unless there is just absolutely nothing on to watch).

I live in Ohio and have DishOnline well my take on it is Charlie is really hurting for money could be he is starting to pay tivo hush money i mean with all the hd pay per views the sports packages dish is not thinking of its loyal customer base if they keep this up they we'll lose there customers to direct.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)