Commissioner Defends DirecTV MLB EI Deal

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
The AP reports the following:

(AP) Baseball commissioner Bud Selig defended his sport's hardline stance with cable companies over access to out-of-market games, and received a measure of support from NBA commissioner David Stern on Thursday.

Members of Congress and others have criticized Major League Baseball for its $700 million deal with satellite provider DirecTV to air the league's "Extra Innings" package, which allows fans to watch up to 60 out-of-market games a week for an annual subscription of $160 to $200.

The deal requires cable companies to match the terms offered by DirecTV, including a commitment to carry The Baseball Channel when it launches in 2009.

So far the cable companies have refused to do so, though negotiations continue. If a deal is not reached, it means that about 230,000 cable customers who previously subscribed to the Extra Innings package will lose access unless they switch to DirecTV.

Selig spoke during a panel discussion sponsored by the American Society of Newspaper Editors that also included Stern, NASCAR chief executive Brian France and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. Selig said nearly every customer will have the option of either switching to DirecTV or subscribing to a similar package over the Internet offered by baseball through its MLB.TV product.

"I agonized over" the decision to go with DirecTV, Selig said. "Obviously our objective is to get our product in front of as many people as possible. ... But the number of people who can't get DirecTV is very, very small."

For the Full article, see http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/29/ap/sportsline/main2625578.shtml

yeah... and who the F* watches MBL on the internet. If I wanted to watch a baseball game, I would watch on my TV not the internet. He over rates the MLBTV like an equal to a TV. Gee... greed and arrogance... you are quite right.

Bud Selig is a steaming pile...

The idiot is completely oblivious because he is an executive. He doesn't even know where his television service comes from and doesn't care. He has "people" to do everything for him, including wipe his ...

The most irritating thing is that there is no way to get a message to the oblivious moron so his yes men keep him isolated, like that Bowman fool who was giving out a phone number if you wanted to talk about the deal.

Although he may wind up helping a couple thousand people get a Media Center PC hooked up to their big screen TVs.....

If the only way for a die hard Red Sox fan in California to see the games is to get mlb.tv (assuming he can't or won't switch to D*), then many may be forced to go this route....

Although he may wind up helping a couple thousand people get a Media Center PC hooked up to their big screen TVs.....

If the only way for a die hard Red Sox fan in California to see the games is to get mlb.tv (assuming he can't or won't switch to D*), then many may be forced to go this route....

Have you seen the quality of MLB.TV? Not good for us big screen fans.

I'd rather find someone who will let me give them a slingbox if they let me watch some games over it. No more black-outs!

MLB.TV does suck. The deal with D* worked out just fine for the NFL, I don't see what is any different with the MLB. My dad just switched from Time Warner to D* to get it. No problems. The others can't get the NFL package either. Let's face it, into sports teams outside your local then it is D*. Don't understand all of the complaints. Its business and any of you if it were yours would have done the same thing, or you wouldn't have the job anymore.

Ahhh....gotta love when MLB has a tool/puppet former OWNER as commissioner. These owners have NEVER, EVER given a SH** about the fans, they would NOT put in DUD Selig if they did. Because this deal is NOT "in the best interest of baseball" but in the best interest of the OWNERS. They saw this decades ago with the growth of cable and satellite TV...that is why we have a owner INSTEAD of a legit commissioner....and our lovely government gives decades of exemption time and MLB reaping the benefits. Not to go off on a tangent(which really means I will...:D ), but this is why I will NEVER, EVER side with owners on ANYTHING. There is NO DOUBT the players are greed too, but compared to the owners, the difference is night and day. At the end of the, the players go to the agent and demand and expect the agent to get him the best deal possible when it comes to a contract...owners will hold a city/state hostage for a stadium, DEMAND some kind of bond/tax break and finally blackmail the city/state by threating to leave. Then comes the labor negotiations with the players....and they cry poverty....they come to an agreement, and give the Gary Matthews of the world over $10 million a year....WTF??!!

And now, they try to JUSTIFY this deal. And IF it becomes EXCLUSIVE when the cable companies bail....watch that package SKY ROCKET.

I'm all for cable and DISH to get the MLB package, it just gives us ALL more choices obviously.

I am not understanding though why any of this anger is directed at DirecTV? I can understand the anger towards MLB. D* made an offer - MLB accepted it.

Baseball needs a change, but he has a lifetime contract.:(

Actually, his contract expires in 2009.

And why does MLB need a change -- at least from the viewpoint of its 30 owners?

Last year saw the highest MLB attendance ever.

Last year saw the biggest total revenue ever.

Its mlb.com is the envy of the sports industry, showing every game, and having a valuation of approaching (some say exceeding) $2 billion -- which simply put, adds $60 million plus to the value of each of the 30 franchsises. It provides access to every single MLB game played, with the exception of those blacked out to a local market.

Last year saw new TV contracts which together with other MLB exisiting broadcast deals guarantee each team about $30 million a year.

Even if only DirecTV carries the Baseball Channel in 2009, it will have a startup value of $300 million or more -- adding another $10 million to the value of each franchise. If Dish and/or cable were to carry the channel to a total of about 40 million homes, its value could immediately soar beyond $1 billion and even approach $2 billion -- adding another $30-$60 million in value to every MLB franchise.

Local TV ratings hit receord levels in many markets last year, and at least four teams have signed lucrative new regional sports network deals for dollar figures which would have been unheard of a decade ago.

Several teams have formed their own incredibly lucrative RSNs. And in contrast to a decade ago, when only about 60% of all MLB games were available on television, almost every game is now available, at least in its home market. Some teams broadcast all or almost all of their games in HD. The new network deals specifcy HD coverage for all national games. And by next season virtually every team's games will be broadcast in HD on it RSN.

There has been a level playing field unrivalled in the modern history of the game, with seven different World Series champions in the last seven years, and 11 different teams playing in the World Series in that time.

On the down side ticket prices continue to spiral upward, nationa TV ratings have, at best, leveled off and the drug scandal threatens to explode with even more revelations.

So, from the perspective of baseball ownership, or even the Players Union, what needs to be changed?

okay, according to tv predictions, the deadline for in demand and/or dish to add extra innings has been extended a day. anyone who has the ability should post the link here.

my special program i use because of my rheumatoid arthritis won't allow me to do this. thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)