Comparing Dish & Direct TV

mwdxer1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
Seaside Oregon
Not that I am thinking of switching, I like Dish. But I went over to the Direct TV site and wow! are they expensive! Their largest package is the Premier for $189 a month. That is more than my utility bills! I looked at the next tier down, the Ultimate 250 channels, much like our AT250, but $135 a month. Yikes. I do see that Direct TV does have channels Dish doesn't like Chiller, Cloo, CNBC World, Current, MHZ, etc. But Dish has many channels like the diginets Direct doesn't have like Grit, Get TV, Bounce, Laff, METV, FETV,etc. Plus Dish has movie channels Direct doesn't carry. Some years back I compared Direct with Dish package prices. Direct was a hair more expensive, but not that much more. I was quite shocked to say the least. Now of course Direct does have more sports and I am sure that jacks up the price somewhat, but still Direct is high. If I was to go with Direct, to match the price, I would have to go down to one of their smallest packages. I did not see any $30-$40 packages with Direct at all. I know people around here that have the smaller Dish packages. I would never pay that for TV. Even with programming disputes and all, Dish still rocks.

You need to compare using the promotion pricing. Most packages are $60 to $70 off the first year, then the 2nd year they go up but the often give you a $200 to $300 Visa Plus the NFL package worth $300 or almost $600 in discount to help off set Year Two. For Year 3, yes, it is very costly.
Also the DVR, HD, and first receiver fee is included.
You almost need a spreadsheet to compare, both are tricky to price and compare.

For both services the only way to ensure cheaper prices is to switch every couple of years. Of course there are discounts that can sometimes be had with either service beyond the 2 years though it is a mixed bag.

Reactions: Ckreinholz444
You need to compare using the promotion pricing. Most packages are $60 to $70 off the first year, then the 2nd year they go up but the often give you a $200 to $300 Visa Plus the NFL package worth $300 or almost $600 in discount to help off set Year Two. For Year 3, yes, it is very costly.

The Visa gift cards from DirecTV are getting very rare and most people here couldn't care less about the 'NFL package'. And don't forget DIrecTV's regional sports fee.

The Visa gift cards from DirecTV are getting very rare and most people here couldn't care less about the 'NFL package'. And don't forget DIrecTV's regional sports fee.
The Visa gift cards are far from rare, I get those offers at minimum a couple times a month. I would agree about the NFL package as it only has value to those that would otherwise pay for it and with so much NFL on other channels it is harder to make the case for it these days.

The Visa gift cards are far from rare, I get those offers at minimum a couple times a month. I would agree about the NFL package as it only has value to those that would otherwise pay for it and with so much NFL on other channels it is harder to make the case for it these days.

You get Visa gift card offers from AT&T? They've become rare around here. There's been a lot of Dish $300 gift card offers but none from AT&T.

You get Visa gift card offers from AT&T? They've become rare around here. There's been a lot of Dish $300 gift card offers but none from AT&T.
Yep from AT&T (and Dish too). Usually a couple in the mail each month from both and a couple in email each month from both. If cable wasn't so cheap I would probably sign up with Dish again, but my cable TV bill with all 4 premiums and nearly every channel they have is only $85/month including my Tivo fees where Dish would be about $140 during the promo period.

Also to factor in on spreadsheet is for new customers. Dish has a two year price lock. Direct is one year but most just call at the one year mark and ask for more discounts and get em. See other threads
If you like the NFL the mega max NFL package for free is worth a ton to them

You can’t provide data to say that most call and get further discounts because even here and at the other site it is hit or miss and most Dish and Direct customers are not on either forums.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

this post lost all credibility when you said chiller, that station has been off the air for a while.

having had both services, they final monthly costs on equal setups are within a few dollars of one another.
my cost dropped when i changed due to fees going down (722's had a stupid monthly fee)

each provider has things the other doesnt. and each has its place

Reactions: JSheridan
The sports programming Dish provides plus what I get from OTA is more than adequate for me. I prefer Dish's larger movie channel lineup plus ME TV which I suspect is one of the more popular channels on Dish.

Reactions: jannah

Yes, I noticed the promotion pricing. Of course they are much less, as Dish also has promotion pricing. But once that period is over, the customer is hit hard with Direct TV. Myself, not being a Sports fan, that would not interest me. But even going with a smaller pack comparable with AT250, the customer is still hit with a large bill. So you have to go out to the 3rd year to get the "real" pricing. I yes by then, the customer is hooked. :)

In addition to the aforementioned Chiller, Cloo and Current haven't existed in years either.
I thought Cloo, Chiller, and Current were gone, but they were still listed. I like the lineup better for Dish as I mentioned above. Not into Sports. I also did not see a lot of the movie channels on Direct we have like, Epix, Retro, MGM, etc. Don't know if they were in another add-on package.

mgm was closed years ago also

where are you getting your info from?

there is an mgm-hd now, if thats what you mean

I thought Cloo, Chiller, and Current were gone, but they were still listed. I like the lineup better for Dish as I mentioned above. Not into Sports. I also did not see a lot of the movie channels on Direct we have like, Epix, Retro, MGM, etc. Don't know if they were in another add-on package.
Better check for the voom channels to

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

AT&T is following in dish's footsteps and cutting way back on customer aquire and retention costs. They said it was bleeding them on the bottom line.

So the glory days of lots of freebies is slowly slipping away.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: JSheridan

I have three very rare Visa Offers from DirrecTV. They are sitting in my kitchen drawer. I don't go three weeks without an offer from Dtv (or Dish for that matter). The cards are always for $200 or $300 . For that money you can cancel your contract and pay the penalt.

I have three very rare Visa Offers from DirrecTV. They are sitting in my kitchen drawer. I don't go three weeks without an offer from Dtv (or Dish for that matter). The cards are always for $200 or $300 . For that money you can cancel your contract and pay the penalt.

You have a kitchen? I thought you lived under a bridge. :biggrin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)