Compatibility with MagicJack

fordtruckman

Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
I'm having an issue with my Dish Network VIP722 & 322 receivers connecting to the dish servers. I have the MagicJack VoIP phone service. When the tech installed the boxes about 2 months ago everything connected. He didn't connect my second box, the 322, because I didn't have a phone line there yet. Once I got the phone line there I followed his instructions to authenticate the connection. Now I can't connect to the dish servers and I'm being charged a $5 fee. One of my boxes are connected because I'm not being charged $10 but when I manually try to connect it says FAILED. Is there any way I can get it to work all the time? I've spent approx 2hrs on the phone with Dish and their conclusion was I have 2 bad boxes. I got them both in and the problem persists. Is there a code with MagicJack like there is for Vonage? Please Help!

I was able to get phone connectivity with magicJack. It was not 100% reliable, but it did connect often enough. 2 times, I've seen the message on my TV that says something about making sure I have a phone line connected or I'll get charged.

I also have my internet connected, and that is the primary way I was able to get D* to waive the $5/month fee. Is that an option for you since you have internet anyway?

I do a connection test every couple of weeks and the phone is less reliable than the internet connection. But I have found that if I pick up my phone right before, and get a dial tone, and then hangup and do the connection test on my ViP722, I get nearly 100% connections.

The difference may be that I'm doing pretty well with the 722 and it appears that your issue is with the 322. Though a dial tone is a dial tone.

Do you find that your magicJack connection is less than reliable? I messed with my settings and have been able to make it more reliable since my initial setup. And oddly enough I get better results with a dial-tone from MJ by using microsoft Vista than XP.

If you have a consistent dial tone, then maybe something is wrong with your box, but I wouldn't be quick to jump on that, having seen the inconsistent nature of magicJack. Try what I do for a test (if you haven't). And see if you can get a network cable with the internet available instead of the MJ.

I have not been able to get it to work 'all the time'. There is no code that I'm aware of from magicJack.

Hope that helps.

Ok yes the 322 is what is giving me an issue because it doesn't have an ethernet port. I have both boxes connect to the MJ, none to ethernet except for the one time when I tried it. I have consistent dialing and the MJ program doesn't go down at all on my pc. I'm running vista ultimate & I have a 12Mbps interconnection so speed isn't an issue. Now that you said you've got it working successfully I'm going to be on a mission to get mine working. Are there any specific settings you changed on your box? Or is your box dialing out like it was hooked up to a standard LAN line phone service? Is the VIP722 your only box? Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)