Complete loss of signal

threnners

Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
Columbia, SC
Long story short, my mom's cat (who is staying with me temporarily) got up underneath my house and my dad tried (unsuccessfully) to get him yesterday. However, when I got home, I am getting Complete Loss of Signal errors on my 722 - both HD&SD tv's. I went back under there and wiggled the cable, and it started the restart process that gave me a 31-12-15, so I did a reset on the reciever and it came back up 31-11-45. The wires on the outside of the house are fine, and the only one he would have had contact with would have been the line going to the 722 itself, not the SD line. Is there anything else I can try before I call in the calvary?

Check your cable connectors. The connector is probably pulled out or loose.

Probably happened when your dad was tying to get the cat out from under the house.

Ask your dad exactly where he tried to get the cat out, and that is probably where your issue is.

No need to call the dish monkeys and wait 2 days for them to come fix it.

Thank you Claude. (Which incidentally, is the cat's name.) The line in question is right at the access panel when you go in and there's a connector on it.

Thank you Claude. (Which incidentally, is the cat's name.) The line in question is right at the access panel when you go in and there's a connector on it.

Reminds me of an install a few months ago where a customers cable internet was out.

We realized the line ran right across the middle of the neighbors back yard.

Go in the neighbors yard and see a little mound of dirt with a new tree that was recently planted.

We pull up the tree and you can see the cable cut in 2.

You just hopped into the neighbors yard and yanked out the new tree?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

You just hopped into the neighbors yard and yanked out the new tree?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Yep....very possible.....Ever seen those commercials, dial *** before you dig?....Depending on circumstances, they might even pay for cutting the cable?....
Sounds like a real mess either way!

Im not talking about the homeowners. Yeah they should pay for it. Im talking about Claude yanking the tree out of the yard...

A cable company is not allowed to cross a neighboring property for a service drop unless there is a specific right of way written in the property deed. The cable company is responsible for all repairs in this case.

Reactions: stardust3
I disagree that the homeowners should pay for cutting the line. The cable company has no right to cut across my back yard with their cable going to the neighbor's house.

Several years ago, the cable company buried a cable in my front yard while short cutting through my property to run the neighbor's cable. They severed my gas line. I went out and made them leave my property, and leave their machine in place. Once their supervisor agreed to damage fees, I released their machine and they went back and ran the cable along the easement where they should have originally.

Utility and communication companies don't have carte blanche access to your property when supplying service to your neighbor.

Reactions: yomama
A cable company is not allowed to cross a neighboring property for a service drop unless there is a specific right of way written in the property deed. The cable company is responsible for all repairs in this case.

You beat me to it.

Yeah, the problem is that the neighbor's power line also runs directly above that, so I really have no desire to go up there or mess with it in any way.

Actually, I may have spoken too quickly. The power company has some pretty unique access rules. It's possible that the power line may be in compliance with Ohio laws, and the cable line may be within a tag-along provision.

Actually, I may have spoken too quickly. The power company has some pretty unique access rules. It's possible that the power line may be in compliance with Ohio laws, and the cable line may be within a tag-along provision.
Yeah, the power line was there first. I am just glad that my OTA antenna is on the other side of my roof. If they had ran the power line and cable directly above that, I definitely would have been complaining about it.

You all are being far to narrow in thinking.....You just never know how things are....Many communitys that have code enforcement that dont even enforce....as long as things work thats all they care about.
Thats why most states have in place a number you are to call in case you are going to dig.....For this reason, and for saftey reasons!..Im sure we will never know.....but nothing is clear cut..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)