Composite output from Hopper 3

blackjackmark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Central IL
I know there are probably only a handful of us that use the composite output, but I use it to distribute an SD signal to small TVs in the office and kitchen where I don't care about PQ.

I upgraded yesterday from the Hopper 2 to the Hopper 3 and am having a problem with the aspect ratio being pushed out through the composite output.

Both TVs it feeds are Vizio 19" 16:9 aspect ratio. Formerly they worked perfectly, displaying the 16:9 picture correctly full screen (the TVs are 16:9 as well). Now, they each have black bars across the top and bottom. It's as if the Hopper thinks it's feeding a 4:3 TV.

I found a setting under TV where you can specify whether the output is 16:9, or 4:3 (with or without compression), but none of those settings solve my problem.

Did they change the output to only be compatible with 4:3 TVs? Or is there a way to change the output specifically from the composite to be 16:9?

I know there are probably only a handful of us that use the composite output, but I use it to distribute an SD signal to small TVs in the office and kitchen where I don't care about PQ.

I upgraded yesterday from the Hopper 2 to the Hopper 3 and am having a problem with the aspect ratio being pushed out through the composite output.

Both TVs it feeds are Vizio 19" 16:9 aspect ratio. Formerly they worked perfectly, displaying the 16:9 picture correctly full screen (the TVs are 16:9 as well). Now, they each have black bars across the top and bottom. It's as if the Hopper thinks it's feeding a 4:3 TV.

I found a setting under TV where you can specify whether the output is 16:9, or 4:3 (with or without compression), but none of those settings solve my problem.

Did they change the output to only be compatible with 4:3 TVs? Or is there a way to change the output specifically from the composite to be 16:9?

Yes, they changed the composite output on the H3 and the new CUI for the HWS. There's no setting to change it back. I'm using a component to composite converter to get a good composite picture to distribute.

Ya, I noticed that as well, no idea why they would do that. It is only useful if you are running a 4x3 TV. Seems more like a design flaw than anything else.

Ya, I noticed that as well, no idea why they would do that. It is only useful if you are running a 4x3 TV. Seems more like a design flaw than anything else.

That's the way the composite output has been for the last couple of years on 211's and 722K's as well. I think it was very intentional on DISH's part as an effort to persuade people to have a box at every HD TV.

That's the way the composite output has been for the last couple of years on 211's and 722K's as well. I think it was very intentional on DISH's part as an effort to persuade people to have a box at every HD TV.
Probably true, though I'm certainly not going to to install a Joey and pay $7 extra for a 19" TV that's not even HD

Reactions: JSheridan

That is the way it is for TV2 on 722s, not TV1 though. Hopper 1 and Hopper 2 were not that way.

I'm upgrading to the H3 with 2-3 Joeys on Friday. Currently running a 722 & 622. The 622 is also pushing a HD component signal to a second TV in an adjoining exercise room. This setup works fine since we never watch two different programs because of their proximity and both TV's are never on together. Do I have any options for pushing HD to the second TV without getting another $7.00/ month Joey to run a TV that isn't used all that often?

Sure! The H3 has component and HDMI outputs that work all the time just like your 722 does. Simply feed your TV where the H3 is located with HDMI and feed the other one with the same component cable that you are presently using. The only issue is if you are getting a 4K signal from the H3. When that happens, the other outputs are not working.

Edit: I just looked and you did say that you have your component cable running from your 622. Now, is it possible to place your H3 at that location? You would still be able to get all recordings and such at Joey locations. Something else is that only the Hopper will have PIP and Multi-view if that is important to you.

I'm upgrading to the H3 with 2-3 Joeys on Friday. Currently running a 722 & 622. The 622 is also pushing a HD component signal to a second TV in an adjoining exercise room. This setup works fine since we never watch two different programs because of their proximity and both TV's are never on together. Do I have any options for pushing HD to the second TV without getting another $7.00/ month Joey to run a TV that isn't used all that often?
Also consider using an hdmi splitter instead of component if the length is greater then 16 feet for Hd.

My AV Receiver has 2 HDMI outs and 5 HDMI ins. I supply HD from 5 different components to 3 HDTV by using a powered splitter for one of the outputs. The un-powered splitter would not work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)