Computer blu ray question !!

Slick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 9, 2004
Hey Guys I was wondering if some one could tell me how I should go about connecting my blue ray player on my computer to my Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver? connections to use from the computer to the receiver that sort of thing..

I just got done rebuilding my computer and I would love to be able to play movies on my computer and watch them on my tv with out having to buy a stand along BD player, thanks for all your help.. Cya Slick

Hi Slick,

Congrats on your new HTPC!
  1. Connect HDMI or Component video output from your computer to your Onkyo
  2. If you don't have HDMI, connect your digital audio output (optical or coax) to the Onkyo
  3. Connect the HDMI output of the Onkyo to your TV

You're watching Blu-Ray!

1. At least a core 2 duo CPU. I'm not sure about AMD.

2. A blue ray drive for your PC.

3. If you want Dolby true HD then you need an ATI 4350 or 4550 video card with an HDMI port. I believe the higher end ATI cards will also send uncompressed audio (Dolby true HD) as LPCM through the HDMI port but I'm not sure which ones. I'm not sure if any NVIDIA cards do this at all. I believe some newer integrated solutions do this as well but I'm not sure which ones.

4. You'll need a TV with HDCP.

5. You'll need blue ray playing software. I recommend arcsoft total media theater. Cyberlink will work as well. If you want Dolby true HD you have to change a setting in the software to send the audio as LPCM.

6. You'll need 2 HDMI cables from monoprice. 1 from the video card to the receiver and 1 from the receiver to the TV.

I believe that's it. I've been considering doing this as I have all these things except for the software. I'm holding off as I would like to have my PC record 4 HD streams at once and I'm not convinced it can handle playing blue ray movies at the same time. I also have a PS3 that's only used to play Blue ray movies so this setup isn't necessary for me.
good luck,
-Scott

Actually my buddy's kid rebuilt my computer but here is what he put into it, maybe this will help for you to see if I have the right equipment to run those BD movies.. Cya Slick

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E5200

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5

PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

ASUS EN9800GT HB/HTDI/512M GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Alright guys I hooked up my bed room tv to the computer to see if I could play blu-ray thru my bed room tv.. My video card came with an adapter so you could connect to the computer and then it would have a HDMI connection coming out to the tv.. Well did not have much luck, no signal coming into the bedroom tv I am using powerdvd that came with my Lg blu-ray player..

Sorry if I need hand holding here but this is new to me and thanks for the help.. Cya Slick

Alright guys I hooked up my bed room tv to the computer to see if I could play blu-ray thru my bed room tv.. My video card came with an adapter so you could connect to the computer and then it would have a HDMI connection coming out to the tv.. Well did not have much luck, no signal coming into the bedroom tv I am using powerdvd that came with my Lg blu-ray player..

Sorry if I need hand holding here but this is new to me and thanks for the help.. Cya Slick

Are you getting anything out of the HDMI port? It should show your desktop. If it isn't, you probably have not enabled HDMI in the utilities for the graphics card. There should be an application in your start menu for the 9800GT. Look in there under the configuration tab and see if you are enabled for HDMI output.

There could also be an issue with HDCP (copy protection), but unless you see the desktop, you aren't there yet.

Are you getting anything out of the HDMI port? It should show your desktop. If it isn't, you probably have not enabled HDMI in the utilities for the graphics card. There should be an application in your start menu for the 9800GT. Look in there under the configuration tab and see if you are enabled for HDMI output.

There could also be an issue with HDCP (copy protection), but unless you see the desktop, you aren't there yet.

Thanks I figured there where some setting that needed to be done before it would work, thanks for the help, I will keep posting with my progress.. Cya Slick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)