Confirm Hopper + Super Joey + Joey (Cable Runs)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

alton987

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Just wanted to confirm,

I'm switching from DirecTV to Dish and currently I have 2 RG6 runs all going to a central closet in home with my living room gear. All the cables in the home terminated from there. From everything I have seen it looks like I will need 3 runs coming off the dish them terminating in my central closet? Will the Joey and Super Joey be fine with one RG6 run starting in the closet and ending in the bedroom?

Any other issues to watch for, I'm super picky about cables and don't want any on the outside of the house.

Thanks, love this place! I remember asking the same question for a Voom install back in the day.

Two lines from the dish goes to the solo node (left side), the third line goes into the integrator. Three lines total needed from the dish. One line from the solo node (host) to the Hopper. One line from the solo node (client) to a splitter. From the splitter coming off the solo node (client) you connect one wire to the integrator and the other to a Joey. From the integrator you have the line coming in from the dish, one line out to the splitter as mentioned earlier and the other line out to the Super Joey.

If all wires are terminated in your closet then you will need three lines coming in from the dish and three lines going out to your devices (Hopper, Super Joey, Joey) make it a total of six wires coming in/out of the closet. You can choose to terminate the lines elsewhere to prevent that many wires coming in and out of the closet. If the Hopper is located in the closet then that is one less wire that will have to be run out making it five wires (three in and two out).

Last edited:
Other option is to run one extra line from dish and have Node and integrator somewhere outside( by the main penetration, ground source ...) then you will only need two line going to the closet.
The line from integrator(Adv.client)must be connected to the line going to super joey ( at the closet). The second line coming from Node(Host) goes to Tap and from tap one line goes to hopper (Host) and other line goes to Joey or splitter.
*** other thing to check is if there's line of sight for dish system from the same location where Directtv located

The option of just doing triple lines from the Dish to a location outside right near the dish to place the node and integrator is the best way to avoid more line runs than you really need. Its a shame Dish hasn't done a better job at finding a way to shrink the amount of lines needed. The only thing not mentioned here is yes RG6 but must be 3Ghz!!! Some RG6 isn't and will cause issues so make sure its clearly marked on the cable 3Ghz or you best start replacing it all now and just pull in 4-5 lines into that closet to future proof.

I replaced every cable I had last year when I upgraded to two HWS's and I used solid copper cable that we used for Dish Internet... I was doing installs then and I figured what the hell I'll use the good stuff! I noticed a nice bump in how everything responded from one channel to another with solid copper vs copper clad.

I believe they already have something developed but going through their old stock before they release the new product. I wonder if anything above 3 GHZ will ever get developed. I ran a bunch of coax here there and everywhere a while back but I think some of it was 2.2 GHZ I had to run some new 3 GHZ lines to get it to work properly.

By the way, I read and tried this and it worked. A wireless router connected wirelessly to a Hopper and hardwired to a Joey. That gives you a wireless Joey with existing equipment that you may have or can get easily. That might save you a wire run if you have a good quality wireless link.

Half my house is 3 gig and the other half 25 year + RG-6. No signal problems. Remember 3 gig only means the cable was sweep tested to 3 gig.

I believe they already have something developed but going through their old stock before they release the new product.

You can still use old product or the old 1k2 LNB's for example on other installs such as those for 211k or 722 installs, just use the new ones with the nodes built in for hopper installs only. I see no reason to hold off releasing new ones if they have them for this reason.

You can still use old product or the old 1k2 LNB's for example on other installs such as those for 211k or 722 installs, just use the new ones with the nodes built in for hopper installs only. I see no reason to hold off releasing new ones if they have them for this reason.

Thanks for all the tips! All the rooms already had 1-2 RG6 runs from my main closet it was just a matter of the man dish runs. I will run 3 new runs from my closet to me existing time warner box near my current DirecTV Dish. Its crazy DirecTV only requires one cable. What will really suck is if the installer use my old mount from having Dish 3 years ago. The installers from DirectTV refused because the ground wire (I ran) was to far away. If that happens I will just have 3 extra runs form my closet I guess. I would rather run extra cable than have a bunch of ugly cables on the outside of the house.

Anyone know if they would try to reuse a current DirecTV mount?

If they have an adapter with them then they can place that on the directv mount or ask them to take directv mount down and put a Dish mount in it's place so that they would only need to add the one wire.

Anyone know if they would try to reuse a current DirecTV mount?

Really depends on the LOS if it has changed since then as both systems point in semi different directions. Dish for WA goes slightly more to the right and lower vs Direct goes to the left and higher. If the mount is solid and in the open with the LOS then I don't see the issue of using the old mount to avoid more holes in the home. If you have a nice open area and other options just be nice with the tech and ask for other suggestions just don't demand another location. If he/she has to go above and beyond on the job then a tip is nice and helping if you can is really nice, it is your home so may as well get involved but let the tech decide since they are the professional. There are some adapters you can use as stargazer mentioned for some mounts to go from one or the other. Cables that are already existing for some Direct installs can't be used for Dish installs either cause of branding or not 3Ghz or whatever...could be worn and have to be replaced or too short, lots of reasons. As a ex-tech I'd use whatever was there if it would work, branding to me didn't matter as long as it was 3Ghz and shown clearly on the cable.. was so tired of that don't use Perfect Vision nonsense when that was some of the best cable you could use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts