conflicting info on Phone line..

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

djdanska

Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
I keep getting conflicting information. My mom in tampa want's to get directv. 2 regular units and my old directivo. will they refuse to install it w/o a phone line? My tivo already is hacked to not make a phone call. Im trying to figure this out so we don't get them out there to just refuse the install. She never want's ppv so that's not an issue. Does anybody have a straight answer? What about best deals? I don't mind having to go through someone local to get it installed.

No phone line is required by DirecTV. The phone line is only for 100% designed functionality and you already stated no PPV needed, some special events can't be ordered either. Some contractors are claiming the phone line IS required because if they don't have it they say they are "docked" some money for the instals. If you want pin them on it, just mention that out loud to them the next time you call.

charper1 said:
No phone line is required by DirecTV. The phone line is only for 100% designed functionality and you already stated no PPV needed, some special events can't be ordered either. Some contractors are claiming the phone line IS required because if they don't have it they say they are "docked" some money for the instals. If you want pin them on it, just mention that out loud to them the next time you call.

Alot of people are getting docked and if D keeps up with this double talk more installers will refuse to do the work if the people don't want phone line.

djdanska said:
I keep getting conflicting information. My mom in tampa want's to get directv. 2 regular units and my old directivo. will they refuse to install it w/o a phone line? My tivo already is hacked to not make a phone call. Im trying to figure this out so we don't get them out there to just refuse the install. She never want's ppv so that's not an issue. Does anybody have a straight answer? What about best deals? I don't mind having to go through someone local to get it installed.
I would call a local or nearest retailer to install.
Retailers are not forced with phone line issues at install, as Charper1 said D* is not making it mandatory.
It is the HSP (contractor for D*) that is getting paid extra by D* as an incentive for having every reciever hooked up by phone line. So now HSP like MASTEC want that money, so they require the phone lines as mandatory.:mad:
And they will lie to you to get it done.:eek: :mad:

Last edited:
stevo/65 said:
I would call a local or nearest retailer to install.
Retailers are not forced with phone line issues at install, as Charper1 said D* is not making it mandatory.
It is the HSP (contractor for D*) that is getting paid extra by D* as an incentive for having every reciever hooked up by phone line. So now HSP like MASTEC want that money, so they require the phone lines as mandatory.:mad:
And they will lie to you to get it done.:eek: :mad:
A local place like best buy or circuit city? Any advice on who is pretty good? I need my mom to figure out what direction her balcony faces. (Not moved in yet. ) She can't tell east from south. :confused:

djdanska said:
A local place like best buy or circuit city? Any advice on who is pretty good? I need my mom to figure out what direction her balcony faces. (Not moved in yet. ) She can't tell east from south. :confused:

Best buy or circuit city contract thru HSP like( MASTEC) the guys you dont want.
Have your mom look in a phone book for information on local satellite retailers.
Most do both Dishnet and Directv.

djdanska said:
She can't tell east from south. :confused:

You can get a really nice compass at walmart for $7. Arrow points north, therefore south is at the opposite end. You'll need SW, though, and that will be between the S and the W. The great thing is that once she has determined that, she can return the thing to walmart and get her $7 back. This may save her a day off work sitting and waiting on an installer to do a site survey. Apartments are the bane of the installer.

And I am not trying to be a smart ass. Reading a compass is nearly idiot proof. A pocket transit? Now, that'll screw some people up (arrow points south on those).

Also, no installer in his right mind would install any phone jacks on an apartment (if they even could). For starters, the pedestals are usually locked.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)