Confused About 722k + OTA Antenna

AJF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
I finally connected an OTA antenna to the OTA module on one of my 772k's. I am using this receiver to feed 2 remote TV's using Home Distribution and Dual Mod. I did the "Scan Locals" routine and all of my locals came in. Questions:

1 What do I do next, are they automatically added to my receiver ?
2 Is this the same as adding another tuner that the receiver can record from so that now I can record 2 sat and 1 OTA programs?
3 I subscribe to Locals via satellite, will the OTA module automatically be used by the receiver if 2 Sat. programs are recording ?
4 Do I need to re-do any timers that I currently have on local stations

Once you scan and SAVE, all of your locals will be in your guide and shown as '-01' channels, they are also a different color than the satellite channels. Yes, it is an extra tuner, in your case extra tuners! The 722K with the OTA module has two tuners and you can record off of both of them. When you set up timers you select which channels you want to record from. Example: You have a channel 7 in your local area. You will see 7-00 which is your satellite feed and 7-01 which is your OTA feed. If you want to free up satellite channel tuners you simply cancel the local satellite program and then reset it to the OTA channel. The DVR will not automatically select which channel to go to, you must tell it which one you want to use.

Usually when you add the OTA channels you need to do a reflush of the guide as the locals will say "digital service". Either do a check switch or press and hold the power button on the receiver until the light goes out to force the guide update

Great thanks. I should have done this months ago when I upgraded to 772k's because most of the conflicts are caused by my wife's shows which are usually network shows. Actually, my wife usually causes all of the conflicts in our house if you know what I mean lol.

I have to split the antenna feed between 4 receivers and I'm getting signal strengths of as low as 70 on a few of the channels. Is that decent or should I look into an amplifier? Will it drop lower in bad weather or the summer heat?

Make sure after the guide info populates that the "Digital Service" goes away. Some of us have OTA locals that still say this even though those same locals DISH provides from the satellite have guide info. There's a whole sticky thread on this in the technical section.

Make sure after the guide info populates that the "Digital Service" goes away. Some of us have OTA locals that still say this even though those same locals DISH provides from the satellite have guide info. There's a whole sticky thread on this in the technical section.

Ok so the guide populated, it shows "HD 007-00 WABC" from the sat as usual. Plus it now has "00-01 WABC" in yellow. If I hit info both show the same program description. Now it does say "Digital" in the strength banner when I first tune to one on the OTA channels. Is that ok? BTW what does LIN mean? I saw it in one of the sticky threads about this.

Ok so the guide populated, it shows "HD 007-00 WABC" from the sat as usual. Plus it now has "00-01 WABC" in yellow. If I hit info both show the same program description. Now it does say "Digital" in the strength banner when I first tune to one on the OTA channels. Is that ok? BTW what does LIN mean? I saw it in one of the sticky threads about this.

What you are seeing is exactly correct. As far as I know LIN relates to LIN TV... LIN TV Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i know we have thrown alot at you so far, but there is one more thing you need to be aware of. occationally, you mey see a message that the satellite has lost signal. not during a thunderstorm, when it's normal, but during a bright sunny day.

if get that messege you need to do the following:

press the swap button on the remote. ( should be seeing an OTA channel now)
tune to a NON-ota channel
press the swap button again.

what happens, sometimes, is the signal drops too low on the OTA antenna, but the reciever doesn't know that it's the OTA so it pops up the satellite messege. this is an issue that we have been fighting for a while. and it doesn't happen to everybody!!

I'd get an amp. I had some issues with the 211 freaking out when picking up a OTA signal low and tryign to record signals that are below 70 on the OTA meter makes the VIP units do weird thigns
Receivers from both sides of the aisle have been plagued by "signal lost" on OTA tuners.

i know we have thrown alot at you so far, but there is one more thing you need to be aware of. occationally, you mey see a message that the satellite has lost signal. not during a thunderstorm, when it's normal, but during a bright sunny day.

if get that messege you need to do the following:

press the swap button on the remote. ( should be seeing an OTA channel now)
tune to a NON-ota channel
press the swap button again.

what happens, sometimes, is the signal drops too low on the OTA antenna, but the reciever doesn't know that it's the OTA so it pops up the satellite messege. this is an issue that we have been fighting for a while. and it doesn't happen to everybody!!
The OP mentioned he was in Dual mode, thus the swap instructions won't work unless he goes into Single mode first.

In Dual mode, all he would have to do is make sure that no OTA channel is tuned at either TV when done viewing it.

I hooked up an amplifier from Rat Shack and it signal went up closer to the 80's for most of the channels. Thanks for all your help guys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)