Confused about my upgrade path (Pensacola, FL)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ir0nw0lf

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
Pensacola, FL
Been reading posts here old and new like crazy, learned quite a lot sofar, but I'm still a bit confused about what upgrade path I need to take.

My current setup:
* SuperDish 105 (?) pointed to 110/119/105
* (not current used) Dish 500
* 2x508 DVR's, one on a SDTV, other on a HDTV
* DP34 Switch
* AT180 w/o locals, no movie packages

I was getting the locals from Dish before I upgraded the living room TV from a 36" SDTV to a 47" widescreen HDTV. The new HDTV has a built-in OTA HD tuner in it, so I no longer needed the locals from Dish. I called them last week to cancel the locals.

Now I'm interested in upgrading to be able to get the HD channels from Dish. According to the PDF file that shows the Dish 1000 exclusions, here in NW Florida, it doesn't look like I need a 61.5 shot, if I understood the chart correctly. I was looking at going with either a 411 or a 622, still undecided as I don't feel paying Dish $299 for the honor of leasing their 622 is really worth it [to me] at this point. I intend on keeping at least one of the 508 DVR's for the bedroom with the SDTV in it, no need for HDTV in it. I was thinking that I could just keep the other 508 in the living room for recording SD stuff and get a 211/411 for watching SD/HD on the HDTV and live without being able to record the HD stuff.

Guess the biggest question is: would I have to have a Dish 1000 installed or would it be possible to simply change out the LNB(s) and/or switch to be able to get the 129?

Again, great site :up , tons of great info here!

--Scott

I don't think NW Florida is within the footprint of the 129 sat. You will need a Dish 500 for the 110 & 119 sat and another Dish 500 or Dish 300 for the 61.5 sat. A DP 34 or DP 44 switch and the appropriate LNBF's.

If your within the footprint of 129 sat then all you need is a Dish 1000.

Assuming that you get your locals from 105 (Mobile, AL?), you still need to keep your SuperDish. They will need to add a second dish for 129 (for HD) and a DPP44 switch to combine the 4 satellites.

Mobile/Pensacola is barely within the 129 footprint. Since you don't get locals from Dish anymore, you can take the line that goes to the 105 LNBF and run that to your disused Dish 500 (add a DishPro single or dual) and point it at either 61.5 or 129.

There are some threads here about adding another LNBF to the SuperDish, a couple of inches past the right side of the outrigger and getting 129 that way.

Of course, if Dish isn't going to cut you any kind of discount for having it already setup, let them do it. As RandallA pointed out above while I was typing this, if you reactivate your locals before ordering, you will probably end up with a DPP44 switch.

Thanks a bunch for the info all! Much more helpful and a heck of a lot friendlier than the *cough* other sites *cough*.

Pepper: if I understood you correctly, I could simply take my old Dish 500, replace the LNBF(s) on it with a "DishPro Dual LNBF" (saw it for $36.99 on dishstore.net) and maybe a "Dish 500 I Adaptor" ($8.00), run the RG-6 from it to the third input on the DP34 in place of the 105 run from the SuperDish, point/test the Dish 500 to the 61.5 or 129 loc and that would be it on the external setup? Sounds like a good route to try to go. The last time the installers came out they nearly pooched the install, I don't honestly trust them much anymore. :)

I will call Dish though and see if I can work my magic on them, plus get a updated price on moving to HD.

ir0nw0lf said:
Thanks a bunch for the info all! Much more helpful and a heck of a lot friendlier than the *cough* other sites *cough*.

Pepper: if I understood you correctly, I could simply take my old Dish 500, replace the LNBF(s) on it with a "DishPro Dual LNBF" (saw it for $36.99 on dishstore.net) and maybe a "Dish 500 I Adaptor" ($8.00), run the RG-6 from it to the third input on the DP34 in place of the 105 run from the SuperDish, point/test the Dish 500 to the 61.5 or 129 loc and that would be it on the external setup? Sounds like a good route to try to go. The last time the installers came out they nearly pooched the install, I don't honestly trust them much anymore. :)

I will call Dish though and see if I can work my magic on them, plus get a updated price on moving to HD.

That will work!

I called a local Dish retailer/installer (Dan's Satellite's) and they told me that around here both 61.5 and 129 are reachable, presumably with acceptable signal strength. He told me that they prefer to use 129. I then called Dish and the very polite CSR told me that I would indeed "need" a Dish 1000 and that there would not be an additional fee for it or the install, above and beyond the $49 to upgrade to a 211/411. So I think if that's true I'll just let the people come out and do the upgrade of the dish.

Thanks for the answers all! I'll post in the upgrade experience thread after I call them back.

Confused about upgrade path here in (California)

I was just wondering what would be my best package.

I currently have AEP+LOCALS+SUPERSTATION+CBSHD+HD Package on a 942

I am getting the new VIP622

What I want:
I want to maintain everything I currently have (CBSHD I can live without) and also get the new Dish Latino Bonus pack for 12 bucks.

Which metallic package etc, gives me more bang for my buck?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts