Confused about VIP 211K for vacation home

Snoozer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Been trying to research info on my own but I"m not certain I completly understand what adding a VIP211K to my account entails. Here's my understanding of what I've read.

1. I can't lease a VIP211K directly from DISH as an addition to my current account (Hopper and 1 Joey) and pay the additional $7 mo

2. Any on line purchase of a VIP211K receiver will most likely NOT be a NEW unit and they will not have a warranty.

3. If I purchase my own VIP211K from a vendor, I'll still have to pay an additional $70 activation fee to DISH.

4. My old DISH 1000 (w/triple LNB's) will work with this receiver.

Also, any other tips on this subject would be greatly appreciated :D

You seem to have a good handle on it, but I was not aware of the activation fee so you are more versed on it than I am.

Terms of service prohibit having the account active at 2 locations.

With the Hopper system you must own the 211 leased receivers not allowed

211 or 211K even from DISH probably will be reconditioned 211Z is a new receiver.

Don't tell Dish that it is for a vacation home. It will be for "tailgating". Check out dish depot for your receiver needs. There should not be a fee for adding a receiver to your account. And, of course, you will have to self install the dish and receiver.

Don't worry about warranty on the receiver. If you want new then go to a retailer and they may have a new one in stock. I have never heard of any activation fee for adding the receiver to an active account. I have a 211k receiver that I own and add it to my account every fall for tailgating, I'll be calling next week to activate mine actually.

Yup, You can get a 211k for under $100 now. Never heard of a $70 activation fee.

Is a re-seller trying to hit you up for the $70 act Fee?
?
?Pretty Easy process.

• Buy 211K
  • Call dish and add 211k to account so you can tailgate.
  • Enjoy TV

Be sure to activate and get up and running at home that ViP211 before you take it elsewhere.

Been trying to research info on my own but I"m not certain I completly understand what adding a VIP211K to my account entails. Here's my understanding of what I've read.

1. I can't lease a VIP211K directly from DISH as an addition to my current account (Hopper and 1 Joey) and pay the additional $7 mo

2. Any on line purchase of a VIP211K receiver will most likely NOT be a NEW unit and they will not have a warranty.

3. If I purchase my own VIP211K from a vendor, I'll still have to pay an additional $70 activation fee to DISH.

4. My old DISH 1000 (w/triple LNB's) will work with this receiver.

Also, any other tips on this subject would be greatly appreciated :D

Mostly been covered, but to summarize;

1. Correct. Would have to be a purchased 211k. Only allowed to be used for tailgating.
2. As others have said, not necessarily. Could be a new unit.
3. I think a vendor is feeding you something. Again, as others have said, buy it, call Dish, and Dish can activate that receiver onto the account. Additionally, as may have been said, with a purchased receiver, you can always de-activate it when not using it, to save the $7 per month for the receiver.
4. Yes

Only extra fee for a 211k is if you choose to connect an external hard drive, and make the 211k into a DVR that way, there is a one time $40 DVR activation fee for the 211k (and only that receiver family, as that is the only family that can be converted like that)

$70 bucks??? Someone is trying to screw you!! ;)

What is the cheapest dish I could get use with a 211 for tailgating. Also how hard to aim this?
The cheapest dish is probably a DISH 300 but that is for 1 satellite. Seeing your location is nowhere we can't even guess if you might need Eastern Arc or Western Arc.

What is the cheapest dish I could get use with a 211 for tailgating. Also how hard to aim this?

Plenty of RV/tailgating people here who can give better advice, hope they add their two cents. A dish 500 or a dish 1000 would work for this. Aiming a dish 500 (with two eyes) should be easier than aiming a dish 1000 (with three eyes). You'll get different stories on how easy/hard they are to aim. Also depends on what you use to aim it. It's NOT something you can generally eyeball. You need a compass, and/or a signal meter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)