Confused

wile_me

Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Union County, NJ
Could someone help me please? I've had it with Comcast cable and decided that I will switch to Dish (Direct doesn't offer some of the channels we enjoy).
Trying to read all these threads to familarize myself with Dish have given me a headache though.
I don't understand what alot of these threads are talking about ie 622, 781, E*, Dish Mover also with the Dish DVR's maybe being disabled (should I even sign up now?). I thought I was relatively intelligent but I'm at a loss.
Can someone explain to me what some of these things are and give me some tips on what I should know, to make an itelligent decision. I'd really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks :)

E* = EchoStar, Dish's parent company (D* = DirecTV, there are others)

622 = E*'s current top of the line 3-tuner (2 sat., 1 over-the-air) MPEG-4 receiver with HD DVR and dual outputs (TV1 = HD and SD; TV2 = SD and down-converted HD). I have one and I like it very much. Some issues with it still as discussed in this forum - keep reading - but overall the collective experience/opinion is positive.

781 = a "rebranded" 921. It will receive HD with its OTA tuner but not HD from the sats. The 921 was only MPEG-2 capable DVR and E* is phasing-out all the older MPEG-2 equipment (like my 811) in favor of the newer receivers. All new HD channel additions will be received only by the MPEG-4 capable receivers and eventually we expect the MPEG-2 channels to be converted to MPEG-4 rendering all older receivers "dark" as far as HD is concerned. MPEG-4 uses less bandwidth for the same program material and picture quality and is thus more efficient, a very important consideration for adding more channels to the already-packed satellites.

Dish Mover = a program for current E* customers to change physical addresses for their installed equipment with less hassle. (I've never used it so I can't comment further.)

I guess it's a crap shoot right now re: E* DVRs and the possibility of being turned-off. This situation is developing rapidly so if you hold off a few weeks we might know a lot more by the time you're ready. In any case the latest information will appear in this forum as soon as it breaks!

In terms of your decision - what kind of programming do you want, how many different viewing locations need to have different programs at the same time, how many HD sets do you have or will you want in the near term, how much programming do you want to record simultaneously, and how much do you want to invest in a system? Answer those questions first in order to better answer your E* equipment questions. We can help with that!

Welcome, BTW and good luck with your decision...

Thank You so much for answering. I'll really appreciate it. I'll stick around and read more and ask questions. I think I will hold off until we hear something about the DVR. I can't live without DVR lol.

I'd really like to know which channels DISH has that DIRECTV doesn't since DIRECTV has more national channels than DISH.Are you talking about the 21 Public Interest channels or the 14 shopping networks or HD?.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)