Connect a wing dish to a 1000.2 for better 129 signal

Leo Farnsworth

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Hello,
I have a Dish 1000.2 and am attempting to add a Dish 500 'wing' dish to get a better 129 signal

The 1000.2 has a LNB with four 'outs' - the he left two 'outs' go to a 622 and a 722. The third is free and the fourth has the input from the Dish 500.

After doing much adjusting and testing after doing a Check Switch I get:

110 even, odd
119 even, odd
129 even, odd
Port4 External LNB: DP Dual, Good Connection, No Signal.

I have never been able to get a signal from the 'wing' dish - Do I need an external switch or something else?

Thank you in advance for any (reasonable) suggestion you may have.

Last edited:
OK, I can do that - do you have an informed guess as to which eye it is (far Left or far Right)?

Thank you.

I just added a picture of the 1000.2 dish. It also looks like you will need to find 129 with the wing dish. Once you cover the eye on the 129, peak the wing dish, run check switch and you should be good to go.

RandallA
user_offline.gif

Supporting Founder

Thank you very much. I see what to do.

I appreciate the link greatly.

Just wanted to mention that with the new satellite Ciel 2 at 129, I removed my wing dish. The signal strength is excellent and you should be able to get good signal with the 1000.2 alone.

Sometimes 129 might be blocked by trees and you need to use the wing dish, if that's your case what you're doing should work.

Just wanted to mention that with the new satellite Ciel 2 at 129, I removed my wing dish. The signal strength is excellent and you should be able to get good signal with the 1000.2 alone.

Sometimes 129 might be blocked by trees and you need to use the wing dish, if that's your case what you're doing should work.

Thank you very much for your reply.

It's a rather selfish thing, really... I'm on the fringe of 129 SB 11 and cannot quite receive the spotbeam. I figure if I can begin the process with this dish (I know it is not too large, but it was free) and see an improvement either I will grasp the SB and be able to view the Seattle Mariners or I will see enough improement to invest in a 90cm dish.

No trees, just Big Sky.

I do appreciate your response

FWIW
Once I cover the 129 eye I cannot get ANY reception from the 129 Sat on the wing dish alone.

I did go to The List! and confirm my asimuth and elevation angles and I have a really good compass.

I get NO signal. Not a bit. I have tried re-aiming higher, lower left and right - just no signal at all.

I then hooked my coax up to the 3rd port (second from the left) on the 1000.2 LNB and did a check switch again.

Still says Port4, External LNB: DP Dual, Good Connection, No Signal. Still Port4?

Could this short cable be bad?

Sorry to ask for the help but I am a bit perplexed.

Thank you all for your past responses.

If the wing dish is not already pointed at 129 and you are trying to use the reciever to aim the dish, you need to unplug it from the 1000.2 and plug it in directly to the receiver - no seperator, no other switches (You can use the cable going to the receiver from the 1000.2, just be sure there's nothing in between the 500 and the receiver). Run a check switch - it will do around 30 tests. After you do this, you will be able to aim using the receiver. You can get your angles by selecting Dish 300 and the satellite you want.

As mentioned above, you will need to cover the 129 LNB on the 1000.2 with something that signal can't get through - like automotive aluminum exhaust tape or tin foil. The receivers will be confused if you are getting 2x129. The LNB is labeled.

After the dish is aimed and peaked, plug it back into the 1000.2 LNB IN and plug the receiver back into the 1000.2 using the seperator. Run a check switch and the 4th spot should show 129. If you have 129 covered on the 1000.2, it should show no signal.

Last edited:
Thank you RandallA.

I will quickly change back to the far right LNB in - though I am still very curious why I cannot seem to find a signal...

And I will study this manual.

Thank you again for your help!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)