Connect my Hughesnet and Dish Network on a shared cable

alex9

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
USA
Hi. I have Hughesnet Satellite Internet setup about 100 ft from my house (had to clear trees) and I want to setup a dish network satellite but don't want to go through the hassle and extra $ to install the cabling if there is any way to avoid it. Is there a way that if my dish network dish was mounted next to the hughes dish it could share the cable running into my house? And if possible would it be more expensive then running a new set of cables.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi. I have Hughesnet Satellite Internet setup about 100 ft from my house (had to clear trees) and I want to setup a dish network satellite but don't want to go through the hassle and extra $ to install the cabling if there is any way to avoid it. Is there a way that if my dish network dish was mounted next to the hughes dish it could share the cable running into my house? And if possible would it be more expensive then running a new set of cables.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Alex,

Absolutely NOT possible. You can not connect two separate services from different providers on the same cables for the two separate services. The biggest reasons is that the set top boxes send control signals to power and switch the LNBF's on each Dish. Since Hughesnet and Dish use totally different control signals it can't be done. Secondly the two separate dishes would likely try to use the same frequencies at the same time.

John

Last edited:
Not so fast..

I don't know about Huges, but all last winter I shared one coax cable to get cable to my son's room in house and satellite feed to my office. Feed was two directions and separated with satellite/digital cable splitters I picked up from home depot. I don't use this setup anymore, but sharing one cable is possible with right splitters. Look pictures.

Attachments

• Satellitecable1.jpg
    Satellitecable1.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 970
  • satellitecable2.jpg
    satellitecable2.jpg
    573.8 KB · Views: 498
Alex,

Absolutely NOT possible. You can not connect two separate services from different providers on the same cables for the two separate services. The biggest reasons is that the set top boxes send control signals to power and switch the LNBF's on each Dish. Since Hughesnet and Dish use totally different control signals it can't be done. Secondly the two separate dishes would likely try to use the same frequencies at the same time.

John

So if I understand correctly the main reason is that hughesnet's modem is sending power to the LNB and that would interfere with any other signal?
About them trying to use the same frequencies. Does that mean there is a certain distance that there should be between two or more satellites?

I don't know about Huges, but all last winter I shared one coax cable to get cable to my son's room in house and satellite feed to my office. Feed was two directions and separated with satellite/digital cable splitters I picked up from home depot. I don't use this setup anymore, but sharing one cable is possible with right splitters. Look pictures.

Whole different story. Lot's of us do this. But two differing, competing sat feeds - no go.

So if I understand correctly the main reason is that hughesnet's modem is sending power to the LNB and that would interfere with any other signal?
About them trying to use the same frequencies. Does that mean there is a certain distance that there should be between two or more satellites?

Alex,

Satellite receivers send Power to the LNBF's for them to operate, but there are also voltage pulse codes sent to the LNBF's for them to switch polarities as well as send the blockdown satellite Microwave signal to the appropriate frequencies to transmit down the coax. Hughesat LNBF's and Echostar LNBF's are NOT intercompatible, as they use totally different Voltage pulse codes and other schemes.

Satellite feeds from the LNBF to the STB are a dual connection, in that signals are sent to the LNBF from the receiver at the same time signals are transmitted from the STB to the LNBF. If you try to operate TWO totally different Branded STB's and LNBF's over the same Coax cable, it WILL NEVER WORK.

John

Aklarvanto,

The only reason this works is that your Cable Company does NOT use the same frequencies as the LNBF is sending. Basically the "Splitter" you mentioned is absolutely NOT a Splitter, it is a Diplexor. A Diplexor combines the Satellite Feed and Cable feed together, but must be used in pairs. You can use a Diplexor to combine the signals, but then a second Diplexor is used to separate the signals again when the signals are at their destination.

To summarize, the only way this works for cable/Satellite on a single cable is that the Cable company is NOT using the same frequencies the LNBF is using, as well as the Cable companies equipment is immune to the DC voltage your STB is providing back to the LNBF. This can not be said for a single cable Satellite Service /competing Satellite Service bundled on the same cable.

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts